Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An Investigation into the Evil Easter Bunny

idioticidioms

My investigation of the Evil Easter Bunny Phenomenon begins, simply, with a memory. As a child roughly between the ages of four and five, I was the bearer of a nightmare which made me horribly afraid of the Easter Bunny for many years. In the nightmare, I am chased by a six to seven foot tall humanoid rabbit with long, sharp claws and razor sharp teeth. He; For there is no doubt it was a male rabbit; had matted dirty-white fur and a face that looked as though it had come straight from Hell. The Nightmare ends right before he catches me. In the Nightmare, I automatically knew it was Easter and the weather coincides with this.

I am now 27 years old and as I remember this Nightmare, it becomes as fresh as if I just had it last night. The strangest thing is, I usually know where my nightmares stem from. When I sit down after the fact and look at them, I can usually tell what parts of my life came together to create the individual fears within the dreams. I watched a Werewolf movie as a kid and had a nightmare of wolves chasing me. A good amount of my dreams and nightmares have ties into the waking world, however there are some that don't and it is those types of dreams I find most fascinating.

I find them fascinating for several reasons: 1. Some of them are dreams of fore-telling, wherein I see something that has yet to happen. 2. The dreams are so against my natural character that they unsettle me. 3. the landscape is vastly different than real life and yet feels as familiar as if I had known it my entire life. 4. Some of them have the feel to them as if I am experiencing an alternate reality or test of sorts.

This nightmatre insterests me because it has no ties with the waking world. There was not a movie or show I watched, nor story I head involving a giant evil rabbit. Similarly, the Evil Rabbit Costume phase had yet to be adopted. Perhaps when I was very little, a person showed up to Easter in a Rabbit costume and it scared me because I didn't know what I was looking at and perceived it to be a monstrous thing. I plan on asking my family if such occurred, though I have doubts that it did.

As my investigation continues, utilizing the assets of the internet and Google/Bing; for lack of a proper library and resources; I am finding a very strange phenomenon, indeed. It seems that humanity itself has an subconscious fascination with both rabbits and evil rabbits throughout history.

Beginning with Easter itself, I noticed immediately on the wikipedia article that at one point in time, the Easter Bunny was seen to be a judge and wasn't a bunny (rabbit), but a Hare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

"the Easter Hare originally played the role of a judge, evaluating whether children were good or disobedient in behaviour at the start of the season of Eastertide."

Leafing through popular culture and memes, I have found a disturbing trend. I first found a Facebook page titled: 'When I was little the Easter Bunny scared the crap out of me.' Going further, I found a good amount of pages devoted to an Evil Easter Bunny, almost a cult following.

In recent popular culture, we find several mentions of Rabbits from the Trix Rabbit to Bugs Bunny to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, not to mention the Mad March Hare in Alice in Wonderland. We see Rabbits as the sly tricksters, some times as insane (and that part is based in rabbits actual nature in March when they breed, as they lose all sense of reason when their hormones overwhelm them.)

But, we even find disturbing visions of rabbits within popular culture, such as Frank from Donnie Darko, the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, Cabin Fever, One Crazy Summer, Night of the Lepus, Harvey, and the rabbit that is pulled from the hat in the Twilight Zone Movie:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_thumb_medium/hash/d9/fb/d9fb09fa45f9f70ee258c69d98637f84.jpg

Continuing further, we find people dressing up in evil rabbit costumes:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/08/idaho_man_in_bunny_suit_annoys_neighbors_scares_kids.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S1nm9ato8eA/SC4U2b2gHiI/AAAAAAAAAOo/GB93aAPJdZw/s320/Evil+Easter+Bunny.JPG

http://ryantrone.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/scary_easter_bunny.jpg

We even find one person who drew pictures and created a short webcomic story about a sort of demon-rabbit slayer for their friend:

http://www.elfwood.com/~trumbo/Evil-Rabbit.3301567.html

I dug a little deeper and found that kids being scared of the Easter Bunny is quite a common occurence:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130329192909AAN9dFG

http://manifestiron.blogspot.com/2013/03/is-your-kid-scared-of-easter-bunny.html

http://blog.rightstart.com/is-your-kid-scared-of-the-easter-bunny/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090408122839AATselU

http://wcrz.com/some-kids-get-completely-freaked-out-by-the-easter-bunny-video/

http://hahabuda.com/2012/04/07/happy-easter-children-deathly-afraid-of-the-easter-bunny/

We also find the repeated story of the killer in the bunny suit:

In CSI: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080902172630AALVChW

Urban Legend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Man

There are a good amount of variations to the urban legend but all are roughly the same.

There are also a fair few tales of rabbit mythology to be found from the Lakota Indians as well as other tribes and in other older civilizations.

If we care to dissect the Holiday of Easter, we can readily assume that the eggs were definitely a sign of fertility and that the holiday was originally taken from pagan rituals wherein they gave themselves over to this Goddess. The Christians or Catholics or whoever it was that decided to upgrade pagan religions to draw them under sway of the power of the roman church, put the date of Jesus' Rebirth upon this day as well.

But, where does the Rabbit come from? If we look at such an obscure reference on the Easter Origins Wikipedia page again and look at the Easter Bunny as the judge of little children, does it make it clearer? I think it does, as it would seperate these images of rabbits within our pop culture. To good little boys and girls, the rabbit would probably appear to them in a less-frightening manner. For the bad little boys and girls, well...

To which you say, 'that's horrible!' Is it? Perhaps that is why we forget about the Easter Bunny as a judge and the stories hidden behind that seem to be lost. Perhaps a lot of people forget they had this nightmare as a child or blocked it out and still others have been afraid to admit it. But it seems to be leaking out, anyway, whether due to a subconscious need to have those fears visualized or from a desire to express those fears to the world them; fears they no longer remember the root of.

We tend to avoid talking about the things that scare us the most, but we're now living in an age of people who are desensitized to violence and horror and I believe that is what breeds such groups as the Facebook groups and those people in the evil/creepy rabbit costumes. A lot of people simply forget the nightmare as they grow up or don't feel the need to mention it to others, but I think that it does leak out through the subconscious. Perhaps in the posting of this analysis, they will be reminded of those nightmares and come togther to relive their own experiences and marvel in fear over the impossible-seeming nature of such a phenomenon. Perhaps many will scoff and disclaim it and then claim to debunk it, like so many other phenomena.

What I think is most likely is that it is an ancient spirit, both good and bad, depending on who is receiving it. I believe this Rabbit looks into the souls of children and judges them; not permanently; on their behavior and if the children are found to be bad, they are given a scare. It makes sense that in the spingtime of our lives; our childhoods; we are judged and given a choice and then at the end of our lives in the winter, we are judged yet again by another friendly-seeming face and we are either given gifts at such a point or given coal.

At one point in time, people had to be more aware of it, for being more in tune with the things they could not directly see or touch, but experienced nonetheless and the rabbit became associated with both the sun and the moon in accordance to this duality of nature; a duality of nature that exists all throughout nature and even more all throughout our desired beliefs in spirits and Gods. When power and control took the space of prominence in the land and these spirits were tarnished and dragged through the mud and changed, people forgot, over time, what these things once stood for and since others looked at them as if they were fools when they mentioned such things, it quickly became taboo to mention anything occult or supernatural at all.

Even in today's world, it's a kind of taboo because people in large simply don't want to believe in anything, even the good; for if the good things exist that we can't see; then so must the bad. You get some who believe and then many who try to say otherwise. And they may not even realize why they do so.

The mysterious Rabbit Man. Who knows. It was interesting enough to not curse the time lost in search of answers.

• Like 4

As I understand it, Easter was actually called Ester by a Druidic cult or Religion and represented the festival of life, sex in fact where the festival promoted sex with any body consenting and produced new blood for each respective tribe.

My culture had something similar which occurred on the celebration of Matariki, when the Peladian star system became observable...

The easter bunny has nothing to do with Jesus..

but these foolish mortals... will buy into anything...

it's not wonder evil occult forces secretly mess with people's mind...

if it was on TV.. or their church leader says it.. its must be TRUE! lol

follow the leader like a dummy lol

The Easter bunny is also Santa? He's probably also the tooth fairy.

The Easter bunny is also Santa? He's probably also the tooth fairy.

I love the human ability to pull a singular point out of a mass of points to look at the peculiarity of it and mention it as if it were the whole of the mass of points. Just because something may have a basis in the paranormal doesn't mean it doesn't also have basis in the normal. To wit, a person believing themselves to be original in such a case might not see the horror of a giant evil rabbit as bad, but as a certain form of humor and the combination of an evil rabbit and evil santa even more so. The fact is that that one picture of the evil rabbit in the santa suit holding a child was utilized for the writing of a fanfic about evil santa and an evil easter bunny. It is not to say that the two are directly correlated save through the connection that certain individuals have assigned to it.

It is not to say that the Easter Bunny is Santa or any other being, but that many individuals have arose throughout history to be the duality of nature: merciful and kind to those who are the same, and righteously furious against those who seek only to harm others. At one point, this was a job assigned to the Easter Bunny. Later, it became assigned to a man named Niklaus Claas. While the force behind such things might inherently remain the same, it is divided into what we know of it based on individuals who have come forth in their own way to exemplify it. Which means that in some shady recess of human history, there were a group of men who worshipped a divine rabbit and used the rabbit as their key to understanding the universe and nature itself. It would almost be safe to assume that these men did dress up in bunny suits to perform their deeds and rituals and that our subconscious fears of evil rabbits may stem from a spiritualistic presence that has existed far beyond that group of men.

The fact is that we have many more stories of evil than just defined by a single source that we have determined, because each time we determine a source of it, it's through a singular point of origin and we view all singular points of origin to be different and to belong to different sources. In the case of unsolved murders, an investigator will often look at the similarities between them to see if it is a single point of origin or multiple; whether one killer or many. In a spiritualistic sense, all killers belong to the same force in nature, though they may exemplify only a single side of the duality of that nature, a single frame of the overall kaleidoscopic image.

Bunnies are of the old pagan faiths, when people were more connected with the Earth and seasons. Keep Ostara Pagan, die eggs and offer chocolate bunnies to the ancestors (children). I am a friend of Rupert rabbit, he know all about the holidays. Really cute books about modern Pagan holidays. This little bunny won't give you nightmares.

Friends of Rupert

http://friends-of-rupert.webs.com/

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

Bunnies are of the old pagan faiths, when people were more connected with the Earth and seasons. Keep Ostara Pagan, die eggs and offer chocolate bunnies to the ancestors (children). I am a friend of Rupert rabbit, he know all about the holidays. Really cute books about modern Pagan holidays. This little bunny won't give you nightmares.

Friends of Rupert

http://friends-of-rupert.webs.com/

Thanks. I did forget to point that out as I focused more on the Evil nature of the Easter Bunny. Due to the duality of nature and the triune of thought, everything has multiple aspects. To say that one thing is ultimately good while another is ultimately bad is to misunderstand this duality and this triune of thought that leaves us either on one side or another or in the middle in chaos or in deeper understanding.

The whole concept between spirituality and religion in general, is that there is both evil and good within the overall kaleidoscopic image. That we can not have one without the other or else life would cease to exist and this is directly evidenced by the very delicate balance we have in our own solar system wherein our Earth resides in such a perfect balance of light and dark to allow life to exist and flourish. With that balance, without death, there would be no life and without life, there would be no death. Nature has created a balance for it and yet nature is insane. Nature is a serial killer. Nature is also a benevolent and merciful force. Why is it hard to believe that our God is also our Devil? We must separate the two? No, we must understand that they are the same and only peoples misguided reactions to it have caused us to view it as anything but. A broken clock is right twice a day while a working clock changes to suit the times. In such a manner, both people who do only good and people who do only bad are broken, but they become right at least twice throughout their life times.

In able to properly teach others of this duality of nature; in order to fully understand it, we must understand that there is a time and place for everything and we must be the working clocks of nature, but then, so must some also be the broken clocks, for some times nature does break.

For too long, people have focused on either one aspect of something or the other. We remain too divided by that as a species and to understand the modern religions point of view: they have tried similarly to help people see this and to understand that there will come a point in time in our evolution where God; nature; finally pushes us into a long state of peace and prosperity as imagined to be ruled over by one Jesus Christ. Psychics and paranormal activities have existed since the very beginnings of human history and it is the stuff that we can't see like that that scares so many people and makes them wonder how others can possibly know that. And the answer is, because that was their strength., that was them adding perfectly to the kaleidoscopic image.

People don't question enough our societal standards and beliefs, they don't question enough because they often aren't aware that they should. Men are gullible and naive and we love our stories and metaphors and everything else.

I believe I was visited by this Evil Easter Bunny in my youth due to my being a bad kid. Seeing other kids like me now that I'm grown up makes me realize just how much I needed the discipline and everything else and how much I'm thankful for it. Thinking I knew everything when, really, I'd only just begun my journey. And yet, there were things that I did know that did hold true. In fact, it all held true in its own fashion. There are many ways of viewing the same thing and the internet becomes a prime tool for realizing that as we discuss with each other. One persons teasing may be construed as an out-and-out attack by an overly sensitive individual. People often misconstrue other peoples meanings in words not just on a text basis, but by spoken word as well. There have been times I have tried to give someone a compliment only to have them nearly jump on me to beat the crap out of me. It becomes what our perspective allows us to see of the whole of any given situation. And, nothing is either bad or good, it just is.

Edited by idioticidioms

I find phobias of things that are usually harmless are a misdirected fear of something in our lives we can't now face like abuse of some kind. That was cause of my phobia, which I was able to cure myself of by getting to know the creature I was fearful of. I got a book about bugs with big pictures. I went with steps until I was able to pick up a bug and hold it in my hand. It was a happy day when I picked up a spider and chased my brother round the yard with it. His phobias is spiders and still is. hehehe

• 3 years later...
On 12/12/2013 at 11:34 AM, idioticidioms said:

My investigation of the Evil Easter Bunny Phenomenon begins, simply, with a memory. As a child roughly between the ages of four and five, I was the bearer of a nightmare which made me horribly afraid of the Easter Bunny for many years. In the nightmare, I am chased by a six to seven foot tall humanoid rabbit with long, sharp claws and razor sharp teeth. He; For there is no doubt it was a male rabbit; had matted dirty-white fur and a face that looked as though it had come straight from Hell. The Nightmare ends right before he catches me. In the Nightmare, I automatically knew it was Easter and the weather coincides with this.

I am now 27 years old and as I remember this Nightmare, it becomes as fresh as if I just had it last night. 

OMG MAN

The exactly same thing happened to me, and when I say exactly, is EXACTLY, I had 4 or 5 years it was Easter and I still don't know if it was a nightmare or a hallucination, but I saw the Evil Bunny in the door of my room, with the face that came straight from Hell, my memory fades when he reaches me.

I forgot about this, but remembered a few years ago (coincidentally 2013, when this post was made) when I was watching Donnie Darko, and now I fear the Easter and strange things concerning rabbits always happens to me.

I was trying to forget about all this, but today I asked a friend to do some research about the case, because I can't cope with the images (in the worst case, which is this one, discover that I'm not alone) and know I find this post.

So... what about now? Is it real? Is it some work of the collective unconscious to reminds us of our inner fear of rabbits? A curse by popular culture inciting us subconsciously to fear the "old gods"?

I searched all my life for an answer about this and now I don't know what to do.