Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The ETH and paralell universes

Lotharson

As I described in another post, I am skeptical of the principle "extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence" (and of the Bayesian epistemology which underlies it),

I am not saying it is wrong, just that I am far from being convinced it is true.

I find it very problematic that, all things being equal, we believe without any reservation a mentally healthy and reliable witness reporting a drug traffic in his field, but ought to believe he has had extraordinary hallucinations occurring right at the just moment, if he reported having encountered an UFO and its occupants (leaving physical traces), like this occurred in the southern part of France and in other places all over the world.

It is my strong suspicion that in a small number of UFO cases something truly mysterious and unexplained is going on.

Yet like Dr. Jacques Vallee I also believe that the conclusion that the origin is extraterrestrial is not only premature but also contradicted by many things (he listed up), including the fact that our ancestors most likely encountered the same "aliens" under the form of elves, fairies, leprechauns and so and so forth.

His own pet theory is that the beings might come from a parallel universe, but he is also open to the possibility they might be a physical manifestation of our collective unconscious or mind.

I am clearly agnostic about this, all I believe is that UFO (which by definition JUST mean unidentified flying objects) are real by any normal standard of evidence.

Now I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

I first gave epistemological links to my blog because I think this really matters for this conversation, and I would probably have completely cluttered the post in an inelegant way if I had copied the content here.

What is more, not being a materialist, I fail to see why the possible nature of the Ufonauts mentioned above are extremely unlikely, so that even if the principle "extraordinary claim..." were to be true, I would not apply it in this situation because for me the existence of parallel realms is not implausible.

I hope both UFO-believers and deniers will participate in this discussion.

I lie probably somewhere between these extremes.

Cheers from Europe.

Edited by Lotharson
  • Like 1

It is my strong suspicion that in a small number of UFO cases something truly mysterious and unexplained is going on.

That is a fact.

UFO (which by definition JUST mean unidentified flying objects)

Umm, wut.

Agree, not necessarily non-terrestrial but could in fact be resident here and now in Underground societies as posed by many cultural myths...

Yes, or we could be stuck in a Matrix type of deal, and UFOs are a glitch in the software.

Either that, or human time travelers from the year 2063.

I don't see why the possibility we live in a simulation is absurd.

Are we living in a HOLOGRAM? Physicists believe our universe could just be a projection of another cosmos

• Holographic principle claims gravity comes from thin, vibrating strings
  • These strings are holograms of events that take place in a flatter cosmos
  • According to this theory, everything we experience can be described as events that take place in this flatter location
  • This is the first time the validity of the model has been mathematically tested

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2522482/Is-universe-hologram-Physicists-believe-live-projection.html

• Like 1

Are we living in a HOLOGRAM? Physicists believe our universe could just be a projection of another cosmos

• According to this theory, everything we experience can be described as events that take place in this flatter location
  • This is the first time the validity of the model has been mathematically tested

http://www.dailymail...projection.html

excellent timing SP, as I was just reading about this possibility on another site. Wow.

I don't see why the possibility we live in a simulation is absurd.

Indeed, and I am open to the possibility that there may be more than one universe as well. We are in the trying to learn stage right now for sure, about a lot of things.

Edited by Spacenut56

Yep, and since we CANNOT rule out the multiverse and the simulation theory as being implausible, we cannot rule out contact with beings from these realms as being unlikely.

This is why I don't think it is irrational to believe that this farmer in southern France really had a close encounter with unknown creatures or had a spiritial experience, even if I certainly respect other opinions.

Edited by Lotharson

Or they could be mole people from deap within the Earth for all we know?

We can rule out Little Green Men ! And Blue Men, maybe the Blue men they at least work in Vegas.And only a 90 mile drive from there are the Little Grey men.

What If all the E.T`s out there are really no color at all ?

Like pure intelligent energy @!@

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail...projection.html

Nothing to do with living in computer simulation. Edited by Rlyeh

Are we going to be tested after this thread develops into a Mega Thread ? If so I better get my slide rule out ! :tu:

• Like 1

Yes, or we could be stuck in a Matrix type of deal, and UFOs are a glitch in the software.

Either that, or human time travelers from the year 2063.

Read Geo 600 european experiment and holographic earth.

Or, they could be atmospheric energy critters?

You're not plumbing the depths of this rabbit hole on purpose are you Hazz?? :P:lol:

• Like 1

:) All Im saying is - Until we are 100 % sure, its foolish going around claiming to KNOW that we are being visited by ET.

You know whats really down that Rabbit Hole ?

Little Grey Rabbits all with there pocket sized Lap tops and Ray Guns ! :tu: