Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First evidence:Dinosaur had fleshy head crest

Still Waters

A mummified dinosaur provides the first evidence the scaly animals had fleshy head ornaments, scientists say.

The preserved remains of the duck-billed dinosaur Edmontosauraus regalis were discovered in Alberta, Canada.

Analysis revealed the previously unknown feature which experts compared to a rooster's comb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/25260312

• Like 3

Rooster-o-saurous.

I originally read that the dinosaur was mummified (Another article on this dino). But then I thought that can't be right, because it would still be flesh and bone. Apparently they meant that it mummified and then was fossilized.

My speculation is that this fleshy comb was what led to the other hadrosaurs having bony projections on their heads. If the comb was desirable, then a dino with a bony bump under it making the comb taller, or larger, might have been even more desirable and thus the plethora of different hadrosaur skull types.

Hadrosaurids.jpg

Rooster-o-saurous.

I originally read that the dinosaur was mummified (Another article on this dino). But then I thought that can't be right, because it would still be flesh and bone. Apparently they meant that it mummified and then was fossilized.

My speculation is that this fleshy comb was what led to the other hadrosaurs having bony projections on their heads. If the comb was desirable, then a dino with a bony bump under it making the comb taller, or larger, might have been even more desirable and thus the plethora of different hadrosaur skull types.

Hadrosaurids.jpg

Yeah, fossilized mummified remains have been a big boon towards understanding how dinosaurs looked and their musculature.

I remember reading a while back that the view of the noses of dinosaurs had been mistaken as well. Bigger, fleshier schnoz for the plant eaters.

The fleshy crests on fowl are a distinguishing characteristic for breed and health as well as for cooling in lieu of perspiration. One has to wonder if these creatures were "warm blooded" and also used the crest in a similar manner.

The fleshy crests on fowl are a distinguishing characteristic for breed and health as well as for cooling in lieu of perspiration. One has to wonder if these creatures were "warm blooded" and also used the crest in a similar manner.

As I recall, the theropods were warm blooded, while the largest dinosaurs were what's called gigantothermic. And the marine reptiles have been found to have been warm blooded as well.

Fleshy things on their heads?

Y'know, for the ladyasaurs...