Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWI Xmas truce football match to be recreated

Still Waters

A football club is to play a "Christmas truce" match at the spot where one of the famous World War One games is thought to have taken place.

A local historian came up with the idea after reading letters sent home by Private William Setchfield from Newark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mshire-25349891

• Like 1

I doubt if they will find any WW1 soldiers about these days on both sides.

But we will remember them.

• Like 2

I respect what the heroes did during WW1..and all wars where Britain are involved... but the act of playing football was not the only wartime grace.A major taken prisoner was allowed to go home for his mothers funeral on the understanding that he would return back as a prisoner of war.And he did too.Damn fool

• Like 1

I respect what the heroes did during WW1..and all wars where Britain are involved... but the act of playing football was not the only wartime grace.A major taken prisoner was allowed to go home for his mothers funeral on the understanding that he would return back as a prisoner of war.And he did too.Damn fool

Also a german fighter plane saved an American Bomber from near destruction

• Like 1

Because of these truces - who was the British General who was summoned back by parliament to explain what had gone on and why the men had stopped fighting? because the Christmas truces were numerous. not just a one off.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Because of these truces - who was the British General who was summoned back by parliament to explain what had gone on and why the men had stopped fighting? because the Christmas truces were numerous. not just a one off.

The one I know of is Sir Horace Smith-Dorien.I read up on him once and he was quite a character apparently.Cant see the lads out in Afghan being afforded the luxury.

• Like 1

Fraternization wasn't limited to the Christmas period. Right through 1914 and well into 1915, opposing forces observed ceasfires and short 'truces', especially in order to collect the wounded or when working out in the open. Cigarettes and rations were swapped in the more inactive areas quite frequently.

Bear in mind though, these activities never occurred in areas where the Prussians held the opposing trenches!

• Like 3