Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windscreen wipers to be consigned to history?

Still Waters

It smears flies across your view and freezes up in winter but now the humble windscreen wiper is destined for history.

Supercar designers McLaren are working on secret plans to replace the rubber wiper with a hi-tech ultrasound device that stops anything sticking to the windscreen.

http://www.telegraph...to-history.html

sounds great! ... not sure how good it would work on a car sitting still ,, under several inches of falling snow?

• Like 4

If these were in cars today I think someone would figure out how to make it into a weapon. Still awesome tech though.

If the system is constantly active, it must be a big drain on the battery system. If it's off when the car is off, why bother. By just repelling, will the cars be going fast enough to form a sheet to go up and over the car? FI not the visibility may be reduced if you see a bunch of drops flying in front of you even though they aren't landing on the windshield.

• Like 2

Excerpt from the article:

"I was told that it’s not a coating on the surface but a high frequency electronic system that never fails and is constantly active.”

:clap:

How long have the military been holding on to this? It's amazing how much stuff that could make modern life as well as the environment a cleaner, safer place but they hold on to/hide it whilst we pay for it with taxes. Things like this should be public property. They are a hella sneaky bunch.

Sounds like B.S. to me. Sound is a wave , and sound with enough force to stop falling rain would vibrate the windshield glass causing it to shatter .

• Like 1

Definitly sounds like a massive drain on battery life... And what will it's cost be?... Do I really need to replace $5 wiper blades with a $3000 dohickey that

drains my battery and leaves me with no back up when/if it fails?....

Can't they just make all of us really good rain-x? Lol