Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Noah's Ark Was Round

Still Waters

New evidence suggests that Noah's Ark was round, made from reeds and the length of six double-decker buses.

For years, archaeologists have scoured the world for factual evidence for the Bible story of Noah's flood, but due to scant documentation, many believe the fable to be an Old Testament myth.

http://www.ibtimes.c...d-testament.htm

http://www.dailymail...onian-text.html

I'm not a sailor or anything, but that doesn't sound very sea worthy. Wait, I'm wrong. My military ID says I'm a sailor.

Yeah, that would be a nightmare to be aboard. I guess it wouldn't really be a ship, as opposed to a man made island. If something is still in the water, you feel the sea state a lot more, and with that round monstrosity, every living creature aboard would be sea sick like it's going out of style.

The article mentions the 2010 trip by some Chinese evangelicals to Mt Ararat in which they "discovered" a room on the mountain that was quickly exposed as a fraud by a professor at Liberty University that was originally invited to participate in the hoax.

I'm a Christian and I strongly doubt that the story occurred as it is reported in the Bible.

Critical scholars have found out that the tale is actually made up of two stories by two different authors.

It is obvious there never was a worldwide flood.

That said I am quite open to the possibility that flood stories in general might stem from a catastrophical events having occurred in Babylone or in the Black or Caspian sea.

• Like 1

I am wondering what this "evidence"is supposed to be...cause I can't see it...

Noah read the instructions wrong then ?

~

• Like 1

New evidence suggests that Noah's Ark was round, made from reeds and the length of six double-decker buses.

For years, archaeologists have scoured the world for factual evidence for the Bible story of Noah's flood, but due to scant documentation, many believe the fable to be an Old Testament myth.

http://www.ibtimes.c...d-testament.htm

http://www.dailymail...onian-text.html

...Yeah. "Scant documentation." /That/'s what keeps the story from being taken seriously as literal fact.

--Jaylemurph

I found this link which explains the story of Noah side by side from both the Hebrew Bible and Koran views.

http://www.bibleandkoran.net/verhaal.php?lIntEntityId=14

In the Holy Bible, Noah was given constructions on how to build the ship:

And God said to Noah…Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch. “

And this is how you shall make it: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. “

You shall make a window for the ark…and set the door of the ark in its side. You shall make it with lower, second and third decks.” Genesis 6: 13-16

In the Koran, Noah constructed the arc without God's instructions:

It was revealed to Noah: “None of your People will believe except those who have believed already! So grieve no longer over their (evil) deeds. But construct an Ark under Our eyes and Our inspiration, and address Me no (further) on behalf of those who are in sin: for they are about to be overwhelmed (in the Flood).”

Forthwith he (starts) constructing the Ark: every time that the Chiefs of his People passed by him, they threw ridicule on him. 11 Hud, 36-38

Although there are many tiny differences occurring between both versions, it remains the same story... That Noah was not a Myth, nor was the flood. (From a believer's point of view of course)

Edited by Euryleia

The story of Noah's flood is of course considered by many believers to be the weakest link in the biblical account of the history of the Earth. That is why so many books have been written about it by believers. I remember one book that particularly impressed me because it had an entire on ventilation. I always wondered how all of the animals survived ammonia poisoning. Yes. There was an entire chapter in a rather lengthy book on how Noah had managed the most modern ventilation system that prevented death due to ammonia poisoning when the feces all rotted over the 300+ day voyage. The book admitted it was physically impossible for the crew members to shovel all of the manure out of the ship. Therefore they pointed out how it was not necessary.

Instead we have a floating island of sorts made of reeds. It is roughly circular and must have had good railings since so many animals that came on board seem to have survived.

My question is: how did trout survive?

• Like 1

Yeah this isn't evidence of the actual ark story, this is a article meant as publicity for the Channel 4 program they'll be doing showing them build the boat to the standards of the story.

Here is a better article from the Guardian back in 2012 when the tablet was initially brought out. It's a earlier version of the story that eventually became the Noah story.

"In all the images ever made people assumed the ark was, in effect, an ocean-going boat, with a pointed stem and stern for riding the waves – so that is how they portrayed it," said Finkel. "But the ark didn't have to go anywhere, it just had to float, and the instructions are for a type of craft which they knew very well. It's still sometimes used in Iran and Iraq today, a type of round coracle which they would have known exactly how to use to transport animals across a river or floods."

Finkel's research throws light on the familiar Mesopotamian story, which became the account in Genesis, in the Old Testament, of Noah and the ark that saved his menagerie from the waters which drowned every other living thing on earth.

In his translation, the god who has decided to spare one just man speaks to Atram-Hasis, a Sumerian king who lived before the flood and who is the Noah figure in earlier versions of the ark story. "Wall, wall! Reed wall, reed wall! Atram-Hasis, pay heed to my advice, that you may live forever! Destroy your house, build a boat; despise possessions And save life! Draw out the boat that you will built with a circular design; Let its length and breadth be the same."

The tablet goes on to command the use of plaited palm fibre, waterproofed with bitumen, before the construction of cabins for the people and wild animals.

It ends with the dramatic command of Atram-Hasis to the unfortunate boat builder whom he leaves behind to meet his fate, about sealing up the door once everyone else is safely inside: "When I shall have gone into the boat, Caulk the frame of the door!"

I couldn't find a translation online, but the wiki has a summary of it.

In any case, it's not the documentation that's the problem. Geologically there's no evidence of a worldwide flood, biologically there's not evidence of such an extreme bottleneck of populations of animals.

Also, I find it funny that the reconstructed ark photographed in the IBT article has more ventilation windows than the original ark had in the Genesis account it's supposed to be built from.

My question is: how did trout survive?

Or whales, or corals for that matter.

According to one account I read, they survived through the water becoming brackish, which allowed for the survival of fish adapted to both saltwater and fresh water. And there are some that can live a short time in those conditions, but not very long.

Their response is that the animals then specialized to their specific habitats in a form of "micro-evolution."

Of course this doesn't explain corals, which are very slow growing and very sensitive to changes in temperature and saline levels.

• Like 1

I'm not a sailor or anything, but that doesn't sound very sea worthy. Wait, I'm wrong. My military ID says I'm a sailor.

Yeah, that would be a nightmare to be aboard. I guess it wouldn't really be a ship, as opposed to a man made island. If something is still in the water, you feel the sea state a lot more, and with that round monstrosity, every living creature aboard would be sea sick like it's going out of style.

Didn't the Russians build round warships?

I think they either sunk or were virtually impossible to navigate. Maybe they worked on Noah's proof of concept.

• Like 1

Didn't the Russians build round warships?

I think they either sunk or were virtually impossible to navigate. Maybe they worked on Noah's proof of concept.

Yep, the Novgrord, pretty much unnagivatable.

Though to be fair, the Ark would have just needed to float aimlessly during the flood.

And there is a type of small craft mentioned in the first article called a Coracle.

Yep, the Novgrord, pretty much unnagivatable.

Though to be fair, the Ark would have just needed to float aimlessly during the flood.

And there is a type of small craft mentioned in the first article called a Coracle.

LOL,

You would have thought that with him being 500 years old+ he would have had plenty of time to build a luxury liner.

LOL,

You would have thought that with him being 500 years old+ he would have had plenty of time to build a luxury liner.

It depends on how you take the story. I don't remember it at the moment and don't have it handy, but depending on the view you look at it he either had a real short time or a few years.

Or whales, or corals for that matter.

According to one account I read, they survived through the water becoming brackish, which allowed for the survival of fish adapted to both saltwater and fresh water. And there are some that can live a short time in those conditions, but not very long.

Their response is that the animals then specialized to their specific habitats in a form of "micro-evolution."

Of course this doesn't explain corals, which are very slow growing and very sensitive to changes in temperature and saline levels.

Certainly coral is much better than trout which have specific needs such as lowered water temperatures.

And it could fly.

• Like 1

If the entire Earth was uniformly covered with water, would there be tides and storms? I would think storm action would be very limited because water temperature and changes over land would be less, right? I don't know much about meteorology. He could just bob around in his big round tub for 40 days like a cork.

If the entire Earth was uniformly covered with water, would there be tides and storms? I would think storm action would be very limited because water temperature and changes over land would be less, right? I don't know much about meteorology. He could just bob around in his big round tub for 40 days like a cork.

Yes, tides would still be caused by the moon attraction, winds would be much more predictable though and mostly West to East, storms still would happen as water does not have a uniform temperature still causing high and low air pressure.

The 60 lines of text, which Dr Finkel describes as a 'detailed construction manual for building an ark', claims the craft was built using ropes and reeds before being smeared with bitumen to make it waterproof.

where is the evidence it was built, I would take a guess that there were many ideas on how to build things in those days, whether they were put into practice s another story.

How can he claim it was built that way with out the evidence? the text was just a manual on how to build one, but still that do not mean they did.

even today people draw designs which when examined more closely are quickly dismissed, saying that, there are also many which are not and should have been!

Edited by freetoroam

The 60 lines of text, which Dr Finkel describes as a 'detailed construction manual for building an ark', claims the craft was built using ropes and reeds before being smeared with bitumen to make it waterproof.

where is the evidence it was built, I would take a guess that there were many ideas on how to build things in those days, whether they were put into practice s another story.

How can he claim it was built that way with out the evidence? the text was just a manual on how to build one, but still that do not mean they did.

even today people draw designs which when examined more closely are quickly dismissed, saying that, there are also many which are not and should have been!

A better question IMO would be where is the evidence for such a flood that would necessitate a structure the size of Atrahasis' Ark, to begin with? It would be rather pointless to build an ark for a flood that never happened.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

A better question IMO would be where is the evidence for such a flood that would necessitate a structure the size of Atrahasis' Ark, to begin with? It would be rather pointless to build an ark for a flood that never happened.

cormac

Floods around the world over the centuries is nothing unusual. it would not surprise me at all if there had been a flood, but like all other stories passed down through time, it gets exaggerated.

There are towns and villages beneath the seas, so floods on Earth is nothing new. But here we have a "story" which says it was a world thing........in those days they did not even know the world was round, let alone know what was happening around it.

If the entire Earth was uniformly covered with water for a year as stated in the bible then all plant life would have died.