Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where do you guys think we go after death?

ocean112

Only death is certain, nothing else. As much as i love to think about heaven and afterlife... I cant see it as something true. But all in all death is just part of life. If glorious star has an end i cant see why i should be special.

What about taxes. ;)

Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

—Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy, 1789

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

What about taxes. ;)

Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

—Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy, 1789

:))))

I must agree. Mr. Benjamin was too smart for his time.

• Like 1

My first was "A Brief History of Time" Awesome book. Read it about 5 times now.

I think he actually considers more than the average Bear, it was how he found Hawking Radiation, and of course, he lost a couple of bets to Kip Thorne, and paid up:

In the updated and expanded edition of A Brief History of Time, Hawking states that "Although the situation with Cygnus X-1 has not changed much since we made the bet in 1975, there is now so much other observational evidence in favour of black holes that I have conceded the bet. I paid the specified penalty, which was a one year subscription to Penthouse, to the outrage of Kip's liberated wife."

From Wikipedia.

He looks at dark energy, and he has been dancing around the issue of God since he first came on the scene, only recently to become more blunt and say, it's just a fairy story, but I think he would like to see something to evidence something like an essence or an afterlife as much as anyone would. As time wears on, this great man has less and less to say about an afterlife, and more to say about simple biological processes, which I find more likely as I see that very process happening all around me each and every day. Trees do not go to heaven, but they live, and Priests tell me I wont see my Puppy Betty in heaven.

As such, it does not sound like much chop to me without my best friend Betty. She is like 3 now, not really a puppy any more, but she will always be "my littlest girl"

I think man claims to know too much about the afterlife to entertain it from an academic point of view.

Don't discount trees and snimals so quickly. From a non academic shamanic perspective, I have heard their language, and have been invited into their existence before, but I don't expect anyone to believe or understand that. All I can tell you is that there is hope for you and your pup. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2493&showentry=25014

• Like 2

On topic:

You know when you go to sleep and sleep for a while and you wake up and you don't even remember being sleep or having a dream or anything. Well that. Just darkness, no conscious or anything. That's what I believe. When you die you die and that's it.

• Like 1

On topic:

You know when you go to sleep and sleep for a while and you wake up and you don't even remember being sleep or having a dream or anything. Well that. Just darkness, no conscious or anything. That's what I believe. When you die you die and that's it.

The only problem with that is that you are conscious. You are dreaming the whole time. Just because you cant remember something dosnt mean you were not experiencing it.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I believe in recycling (reincarnation) and infinity, so I think whatever spirit or soul we have gets reborn into another sentient life form somewhere in any number of worlds/planes/dimensions/planets etc. and goes on.

"In an infinite Universe, there are infinite possibilities."

I find the possibilities to be quite fun.

• Like 2

When you die you die and that's it.

Perfect summary of my opinion. When you die, everything is gone, the world has ended, for you at least.

• Like 1

On topic:

Your dreams / subconsciousness experiences, astral or whatever are still happening, you just aren't recalling the awareness shift from memory.

Well I hate flying so I don't want wings attached (Angel), so I would rather be a Fireman/Stoker, where its warm, and see all my mates there.

• Like 1

As long as it's nowhere in the Midlands, I don't mind!

• Like 1

Your dreams / subconsciousness experiences, astral or whatever are still happening, you just aren't recalling the awareness shift from memory.

What I tried to say is that when you die you die XD I mean you're not going to be aware of the darkness or anything. You do not exist anymore.

What I tried to say is that when you die you die XD I mean you're not going to be aware of the darkness or anything. You do not exist anymore.

This position is kinda pointless and makes existence kinda (actually very) pointless. It shares this characteristic with solipsism, predestination, most forms of theism, non-free will and mechanistic ideas, and probably others, that can't be proved wrong but nevertheless are wrong. I work on the working assumption that my typing this and everything else I do unless I'm wasting time has a point, and even wasting time is useful. Therefore any notion that runs contrary to the assumed purposefulness of existence I dismiss as wasting time.

I think the opposite. If you're going to be nothing when you die you better start living.

• Like 1

(here)

I don't know, it's a complete mystery to me ... * ... but everything is here and now, what always was will always be.

( hey.. that rhymes! sorta ..decent line for a song! :w00t: )

Edited by lightly

I think the opposite. If you're going to be nothing when you die you better start living.

To what end? To be famous? The most famous are forgotten within a few generations. To have pleasure? Pleasure is empty and never satisfies. To do good? Again it all washes out within a few short years. If there is no afterlife then we have a purely existential existence that is pointless. I can't disprove this but I can live assuming other things so that there can be maybe just an illusion of purpose. Otherwise I may as well be a solipsist.
  • Like 2

If there is no afterlife then we have a purely existential existence that is pointless.

Are you basing that purely on the existence of the individual, or the existence of the species?

What makes you so sure of that though? If you can't remember last nights dreams how can you be sure of anything that you don't remember ;)

• Like 2

Are you basing that purely on the existence of the individual, or the existence of the species?

Interesting point but basing it on the species doesn't work too well, and even if it did would only put things off maybe a million years, and it has no experiential existence.

As long as it's nowhere in the Midlands, I don't mind!

They talk funny there don't they.

A guy carrying a suitcase turns up and knocks on the Pearly Gates, St.Peter says, "You can't come in here with that suitcase", the guy replies, "I don't want to come in I'm giving you all 5 minutes to get out".....

• Like 2

All we know is that death means fatality of the biological physical body. Death of the vessel, death of the suit. Yet we do not understand consciousness and awareness and the role it plays even with a living physical body or vessel, so we surely do not know what happens to consciousness and awareness after death of the body. We can not assume it goes into a cycle of decay after.

Most investigation won't go beyond the physical 3d dimension because everything mapped out has to fit into the rules of that dimension. But the problem is what if consciousness really resides on multiple levels and dimensions/ densitys/planes. We need a working model for this that allows this to explored instead of trying to reduce everything as a black and white picture of a 3d physical dimension where all life lives, contrasted by a dark void where there is nothing. This is not how the universe is constructed imo xD and i think many know this, but just do not know yet how to model it appropriately. Once we have a model though i think we are going to see a lot of missing pieces.

The closest clue is our ability to dream and astral experience in our sleep time as well as meet and communicate with disembodied spirits. Further more once we begin to explore how conciousness works across dimensions as a fluid essence, rather than a fixed contained essence into one 3d plane, then we will start to understand projection and power of the mind, emotions, remote viewing, telepathy on so on. Say we have a whole other existence that our consciousness and awareness moves to when we sleep, that does not require the physical dimension therefore the physical body, then we need to argue that consciousness and awareness is not fixed. Then we have to ask why.

What is interesting to me at least ( and i help train others how to astral dream / project, meditate, improve recall rate of dreams etc ) is that most people have to train themselves to learn how to recall dreams and change alt consciousness states, it appears to be a latent part of our consciousness and awareness that exists, it definitely exists, but not necessarily just in this plane or dimension. ie what if we have a layer to our consciousness field that already resides in the planes beyond the physical level and that if a living being can train how to reach those planes with their awareness ( which they can) then we are suddenly no longer just a 3d physical being, but a multi dimensional being.

Some people can go through their entire lives never recalling a dream, never meditating, never shifting conciousness and never having a concept of anything more than just this 3d plane of existence... and to me that is interesting because it shows more strength to the fact that our consciousness awareness is not tied or fixed to just the 3d plane. That we have to activate it and go through a process/journey with it or in some cases it will be activated for us with traumatic events, near death. etc.

Using this model, death to the physical 3d level would imply that even though the physical body goes into the cycle of decay from the moment of death, the consciousness and awareness bodies still have an existence on the other dimensions/planes that may not be interrupted by the death of the 3d body. Therefore that part of you will move on from here, but will still exist in some form.

• Like 1

I see this question as a win-win.

Do you remember where you were before you were born? Was it painful? Nope, don't remember a thing, didn't feel a thing.

So if there is nothing after death, then we return to that state; unknowing, unfeeling, non-existence.

If there is an afterlife, then we get another adventure!! Another place to trip on to....

It's not all bad, either way.

kinda the way I feel.

I was nothing before that I can remember.When I die,I will not be disappointed.,or even aware of being disappointed.Which is s good thing !!

If,when I die and find out there is an afterlife,then I wouldnt be too shocked.And it could perhaps be a great thing !!

Either way,cant lose !

I think if there is an after this life .. it's some sort of merger.. maybe we'll still recall our own lives/memories .. but we'll see this life in it's proper perspective?

I thought my Dad , most likely, went trout fishing when he passed on , with his good friend Hal :)

• Like 1

When you die all your personal experience of life would be wasted if you don't become aware after you die.

If you don't become aware ,you won't know anyway as you have ceased to exist.

The question I ask is what if you do become aware after death and don't like where you are, that's a bummer as there is no return ticket.Ah well we shall all see in due course, but its not worth worrying about,as you can't change your destiny.