Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neanderthals buried their dead like humans

UM-Bot

A new study has revealed that burying the deceased was a behavior shared by our Neanderthal cousins.

The findings were based on the discovery of Neanderthal remains at La Chapelle-aux-Saints in France back in 1908. The 13-year study involved an international team of archaeologists who analyzed the remains to determine the circumstances surrounding the original burial.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/259442/neanderthals-buried-their-dead-like-humans

Of course Neanderthals buried their dead.

Must be where Bigfoots learnt it from.

I thought they ate their dead?
  • Like 1

I thought they ate their dead?

LOL! So you remember that epic thread I started ages ago!! :nw:

Maybe they learned that if they buried their dead, the stink went away. Then after a while plants grew better there. Fertilizer was born!

• Like 1

Even chimpanzees mourn their dead.

I must be confused....because decades ago it was known and accepted that Neanderthals buried their dead, along with Grave tokens such as flowers and seeds.

What is there to learn from this "new" (actually "old") study??? In fact why even start a new thread that is already established palaeontolgy?

I think that results from most of latest 'research projects' were known 20-30 years ago. Also, those were written in encyclopedia books, but those books with images and short facts for children :)

Or is it just me having imaginary deja vu something :D

Maybe they learned that if they buried their dead, the stink went away. Then after a while plants grew better there. Fertilizer was born!

I think this is how it started too... a rotting corpse has a small unlike anything else. I used to live in the sticks as a small child and never ever forgot the sickly sweet pungent smell of a rotting fox carcass.... Ive also smelt a deer carcass in a ditch...same sort of smell

That and the desire to keep the predators away from the dead...

Not to mention the flies.

I must be confused....because decades ago it was known and accepted that Neanderthals buried their dead, along with Grave tokens such as flowers and seeds.

What is there to learn from this "new" (actually "old") study??? In fact why even start a new thread that is already established palaeontolgy?

Off hand, there's still a idea that these are the results of contamination and not purposeful burial.

Wonder if any of the bones were female or children,it is said the Neanderthals men took the caves, left the women and children out in the cold to die, is why they went extinct.They found many bones of women and children out side of the caves. A specie has to have a off spring to survive.

Edited by docyabut2

,it is said the Neanderthals men took the caves , left the women and children out in the cold to die, is why they went extinct.

Who says this? Because it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Wonder if any of the bones were female or children,it is said the Neanderthals men took the caves, left the women and children out in the cold to die, is why they went extinct.They found many bones of women and children out side of the caves. A specie has to have a off spring to survive.

That's a new one on me, apes are marked by our communal and social behaviors. Where did you read this?

That's a new one on me, apes are marked by our communal and social behaviors. Where did you read this?

Read it some where in the study of some of the bones that were found.My PC crashed and I did have some of those references.

Edited by docyabut2

Source? Can anyone find this anywhere?

First, let's verify that they are finding women and children outside caves.

Then we can shoot holes in the absurd conclusion that it is because males kicked them out to die.

The researchers found more Neanderthal remains two children and one adult as well as some bison and reindeer bones in a cave is what they are going by, but there is another find and report of many infants bones and women found out side of some of these caves, if I can ever find it again.

http://www.foxnews.c...ied-their-dead/

Edited by docyabut2

How would the species survive for tens of thousands of years in the first place if this was the case...a ridiculous theory. Treatment of corpses maybe.

Edited by zebra99

How would the species survive for tens of thousands of years in the first place if this was the case...a ridiculous theory. Treatment of corpses maybe.

but you have to agree that in order for a specie to survive a off spring has to survive,

but you have to agree that in order for a specie to survive a off spring has to survive,

Well duh, of course. Which is what makes the idea bizarre. Neanderthals were successful for a very long period of time before our ancestors for whatever reason. Such behavior would have caused them t become extinct much earlier.

To, with what we know of both human behavior and ape behavior makes the idea untenable.

Of course, that's with taking modern understandings into account. It doesn't sound that different from earlier ideas that tried to paint them as brutes and savages. Was this a recent paper? It'd surprise me if it was.

Well duh, of course. Which is what makes the idea bizarre. Neanderthals were successful for a very long period of time before our ancestors for whatever reason. Such behavior would have caused them t become extinct much earlier.

To, with what we know of both human behavior and ape behavior makes the idea untenable.

Of course, that's with taking modern understandings into account. It doesn't sound that different from earlier ideas that tried to paint them as brutes and savages. Was this a recent paper? It'd surprise me if it was.

The extent of the last ice age in Europe 20,000 to 70,000 years got a little colder .

The extent of the last ice age in Europe 20,000 to 70,000 years got a little colder .

Ok, could you explain your point here a bit? Neanderthals were more successful during the Ice Age.