Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Parylasis

Amzee00

This is about sleep paralysis. I have experienced this many times in many different ways. However, the last two times I have experienced this it was so strange!

1) I had a dream and I woke up paralyzed. That’s not the weird part, with my eyes closed I saw myself on a platform floating in the middle of darkness, as if it was in another dimension. I saw four squares all with different colors.. And then a tiny voice in my head said to me “ just pick one and see what happens.” That’s when I understood that each color would take me to a different place. I got scared and I didn’t want to so I forced myself to wake up.

2) I woke up paralyzed again and of course I was not able to move. All of a sudden I felt intense vibrations going thru my body! It was crazy, it felt so strong.

Any ideas of what could be happening??

• Like 1

This is about sleep paralysis. I have experienced this many times in many different ways. However, the last two times I have experienced this it was so strange!

1) I had a dream and I woke up paralyzed. That’s not the weird part, with my eyes closed I saw myself on a platform floating in the middle of darkness, as if it was in another dimension. I saw four squares all with different colors.. And then a tiny voice in my head said to me “ just pick one and see what happens.” That’s when I understood that each color would take me to a different place. I got scared and I didn’t want to so I forced myself to wake up.

2) I woke up paralyzed again and of course I was not able to move. All of a sudden I felt intense vibrations going thru my body! It was crazy, it felt so strong.

You should consult an internist because nightmares and confusion may be resulted by anoxia due to apnea.

You should consult an internist because nightmares and confusion may be resulted by anoxia due to apnea.

Thanks but I dont have apnea.

Check out this thread... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219629&st=0

Read the second post from "White Crane Feather", and it will give you a bit of insight into what's going on with the vibrations.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them in that same thread...

Way to go.. there's a lot of people who spend a lot of time trying to achieve what comes naturally to you.

Welcome to UM!

• 1 month later...

yeah... it's what happens to most folks every night, but they don't wake up and experience the 'paralysis'. These are preliminary "out-of-body" experiences. Try reading Robert Monroe's "Journeys Out of the Body". The vibrations are scary. What that is... is the astal/spirit body shaking off (separating) from the physical. enjoy the journeys, if you can! PS. there is absolutely NO danger of getting "lost".

• 7 months later...

I experienced the shaking thing as well. More like my whole bed vibrating. Whenever I try to fight my sleep paralysis, it usually leads to stronger vibrations then I wake up with weak knees and no energy.

I experienced the shaking thing as well. More like my whole bed vibrating. Whenever I try to fight my sleep paralysis, it usually leads to stronger vibrations then I wake up with weak knees and no energy.

Don't fight. Try to relax.

• Like 1

Hello, So I've never experienced anything like this, and am pretty freaked out. After doing some googling, I'm pretty sure it was sleep paralysis but wanted to get some opinions because I am now scared to try to go back to sleep.

Okay, so I guess I fell asleep watching a movie and all of a sudden I heard an extremely shrill noise and opened my eyes. All of a sudden, something was smothering me. I have black pillows so I thought someone was holding one of them over my face but all I know was it was something black. I couldn't move at all, except for my eyes. I tried to scream and couldn't. I did manage to move my eyes to the TV to see that the movie was still playing. I was panicking and felt like I couldn't breath. Something dark was being pushed into my face, and I couldn't move to stop it. It felt so real, I thought maybe my friend who was asleep on the other end of the couch was doing it so I tried to move my feet to kick her, but couldn't move. Then the black thing was moved from my face. I was still unable to move, and looked bad towards the TV, and there was a black shadowy figure crouched in front of the TV looking back and forth at me and my friend. I begin to panic even more, and the figure moved towards me, and whispered something like, "not time yet, be back soon." Then disappeared, and I was finally able to move, but it took a few minutes, to actually be able to move enough to sit up and completely wake up because my body still felt extremely heavy. As soon as I was able to, I checked on my friend who was fast asleep and snoring. I now have a horrible headache and am pretty scared. Opinions anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced sleep paralysis ever since I was a young girl. There have never been any questions on if I were awake or not. The vibration feeling scares me beyond belief. I can usually feel it coming on and I kick my leg hard. It takes several attempts but generally works. It doesn't happen as much as it used to, it would happen so often when I was younger that it was quite annoying. I have read about people hallucinating during this too, but I never have. I just can't move or talk and it's absolutely terrifying to me..I don't often talk about it, because any time I have, people become very opinionated and insist I have something neurological or mental wrong with me. I can assure everyone, I am quite sane lol. It's reassuring to see some topics on here about it :tu: :clap:

Edited by Forsythia

Often sleep paralysis or otherwise called hypnagogic sleep is a precursor to an out of body experience, you might also feel a sort

of buzzing like many bees near your head or body,

Below is my experience that you might find informative?

Out of body experience on afternoon at Johannesburg South Africa

At about the age of twenty-seven, at Vaal Power station (where I worked at the time), in the afternoon at about 3 pm my wife and I were having a nap and instead of going to sleep as I expected, I entered a cataleptic state that I now know is Hypnagogic sleep. In other words, I was unable to move my body (sleep paralysis). I was aware of my surroundings and that I was laying on the bed next to my wife. Then in the area of my head, an extreme vibration and buzzing began to shake my whole body. I tried and tried to move with no avail at first, and then something weird began to happen.

I found myself (Awareness/consciousness) hovering just below the ceilings, looking down on the bodies of my wife and can still remember the red bed cover. That indicates some sort of mind sight.

I did not like this experience, feeling some sort of an malicious being was watching me all the time, in addition the vibration and buzzing were very unpleasant. However, this sleep paralysis vibration started to happen more and more spontaneously until in another spontaneous OOBE I found myself outside the house one night looking up at the stars.

My consciousness awareness seemed to have separated from my sleeping body. I then began to take a real interest in this phenomenon and was lead to read a book by Robert Monroe and found the term then used was astral travel. It was considered evil or even by my then Christian friends who advised me to stop as my vacant body could be possessed by an evil entity, while I was travelling into other realities

I did not interact with those who have passed on but appeared to remain within the material realities. However, I did experience some frightening things, such as coming back in horror to the wrong body. This person was in a small prison cell somewhere and I really got a fright and immediately found myself back in my own body. At times, I seemed to have dual awareness in that I became somehow two beings, my sleeping self-communicating with my ethereal self.

Taking their advice, I stopped trying to exit the body when the catatonic sleep paralysis came at night and eventually these experienced ceased for many years.

Late again I started to have other spontaneously experience all types of other realities on my nearly nightly travels. Some of these Heavens where so bizarre that there are no words to express these other dimensions, realities alternate universes, other selves, in the English language?

• 1 month later...

What if sleep paralysis tunes our minds to a sub state between waking and dreaming which allows us to interact with beings who reside in this inbetween state?

• 2 weeks later...

What if sleep paralysis tunes our minds to a sub state between waking and dreaming which allows us to interact with beings who reside in this inbetween state?

You need to show that these "beings" exist before asking how we communicate with them.

A bit of faulty logic in your questioning there.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1

You need to show that these "beings" exist before asking how we communicate with them.

A bit of faulty logic in your questioning there.

How can a question have faulty logic? Especially a what if question.

Probably a fifth of my dreams so far in existence are of a lucid nature, maybe 20 times I've experienced sleep paralysis episodes, I think the reason they are of a lesser quantity is that in childhood I learned how to manipulate my way out of that strange twilight zone where you're at the goddamn mercy of whatever the heck is on the cusp of your scheming subconscious... and as all of us know, it's not usually the most cheerful foe lol. They are such odd occurrences though, the one I recall most of all is an orc from Mordor bursting through the wardrobe, leering, slimy face with a resplendent shiny dagger ready for my throat. Thankfully I woke up, I often feel pain in dreams and I am glad at least that maniac I escaped!

we've seen these entities, we know they exist

Well it is the age old conundrum, is it a subconscious manifestation or is it an outside presence taking advantage of your less than capable state? There are innumerable arguments for both sides, it's all opinion and conjecture whatever side you fight for.

Are you all serious? There are no portals, no inter-dimensional creatures, and certainly no supernatural occurrences involved with sleep paralysis. I have been "attacked" by one of these illusions during an episode, and I felt no pain. Dump all the mysticism and look at things from a logical perspective.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis

I have extremely painful dreams at a ratio of one in every four, I have honed the skill of becoming lucid and waking myself up at the exact moment the pain begins just to make sure there is no physical explanation such as lying on my arm, having a spring crushing my back or whatever and there has never been anything in the physical realm responsible unless it inexplicably relates to me being unconscious. Whenever I have fought through dream shades for want of a batter term, with what is either my subconscious shadow or something or things that hover in the between... sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but when I do combat in the dreamscape I subside the serrated sensations that gnaw between my ribs... this is a bizarre but absolutely riveting event that continues throughout a quarter of my dreams. Pain is always sensed by the brain regardless of the stimulant acting upon the system, dreams are just another shift of plain or roll of the dice, it;s all in one's own mind but does that simply limit phenomena as a self-manifested, self-perpetuated tapestry, who knows lol. It's all relative regardless if the entities are within your mind or beyond it, it's a strange landscape.

Are you all serious? There are no portals, no inter-dimensional creatures, and certainly no supernatural occurrences involved with sleep paralysis. I have been "attacked" by one of these illusions during an episode, and I felt no pain. Dump all the mysticism and look at things from a logical perspective.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis

What's not logical about mysticism?

Are you saying there's no such thing as an illogical question?

• Like 1

Pretty much. I mean certain questions like: Why is the sky made out of gumballs certainly is, but: what if the sky were made out of guumballs? isn't. This sets us up for a thought experiment that we can then explore and possibly discover something. Somebody once said: what if all things were made of tiny strings?

Logic is not restricted to the philosophy of logical positivism. We don't have to prove anything to ask a "what If" question. In fact to come to any kind of discovery indeed we must ask it.

• Like 1

http://www.webmd.com...sleep-paralysis

What would a logical perspective be? Even if it were a hypnogogic state, whatever perspective comes from it, is the experience of the person.

• 2 weeks later...

i like that theory but it just doesn't hold water.

i've read countless stories about shadow people, a few of them spoke of the person being physically attacked.

This should leave the person with battle scars when they wake up, there never are any though.

Contrary to what i've written in the past.

Even though i know full well that it's all in my head, that knowledge still doesn't stop the experience from being truly frightening.

I can remember my nephew when he was about 5 (now 40) was telling me he dreamed about the "Body People".

That's how he described it when he was a kid. He never did go into any detail and never mentioned it again.

I just chalked it up to a bad dream he had. Now reading these post. I wonder. :unsure2:

Edited by Hawkin