Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Polygamy in Utah

DieChecker

I didn't find this with a Search and I find it interesting enough that I'm going to post the link to this real life Drama.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/justice/utah-polygamy-law/

Judge strikes down part of Utah polygamy law in 'Sister Wives' case

(CNN) -- A federal judge in Utah has struck down part of that state's law banning polygamy, after a lawsuit was brought by the stars of the television reality series "Sister Wives."

The ruling late Friday by U.S. District Court Judge Clark Waddoups threw out the law's section prohibiting "cohabitation," saying it violates constitutional guarantees of due process and religious freedom.

But the judge said he would keep in place the ban on bigamy "in the literal sense -- the fraudulent or otherwise impermissible possession of two purportedly valid marriage licenses for the purpose of entering into more than one purportedly legal marriage."

Will this eventually lead to marriage recognition of plural familys?

I think it could.

• Like 1

Well if you're in to that kind of thing who cares? The only concern of making it legal is the tax implications. Otherwise why does it matter how others prefer to have in relationships?

• Like 3

Well if you're in to that kind of thing who cares? The only concern of making it legal is the tax implications. Otherwise why does it matter how others prefer to have in relationships?

Some of the stuff some polygamists do is just plain cruel and wrong, some exile men away without food and water just for purpose of securing more women for themselves. Equality is completely lost.

• Like 1

Some of the stuff some polygamists do is just plain cruel and wrong, some exile men away without food and water just for purpose of securing more women for themselves. Equality is completely lost.

Those seem to be more criminal than lifestyle issues I think, but I guess I can see that happening. Polygamy and religion are a bad mix. Maybe if the two could be separated it wouldn't be quite as bad.

• Like 1

:) Cool.

Consenting adults should be able to marry.

Nibs

• Like 3

I don't care what someone else does and I am surprised so many do. Get a life! The only thing I would insist on is that all involved be freely consenting ADULTS and they not live off of public assistance.

Agreed. My issue isn't with polygamy, it's in how it's practiced by some.

• Like 1

You could say the same about 'regular' marriage. Equality may be lost there as well.

• Like 3

That is beyond perfect. Honestly (I do like it), you can replace marriage with anything and still be true. Thanks for waking me up to something I should have known a long time ago.

If two people are in a "traditional marriage" with a state issued license then there are rights for EACH party when separating or divorcing. There are also benefits if the marriage is state licensed, health decisions, death decisions, retirement, wills, etc.

Now, in the cases of the underaged marriages that go on - people need to go to jail.

If two, three, eleven or even 44 consenting adults want to get married and have a legal contract that states recognize that allows rights and reparations then they should be able to LEGALLY have it.

Marriage is no longer about doweries, land titleship and chattel. It's now about a legal commitment between one or more people.

Nibs

I hope these aren't the same people who were campaigning against same-sex marriages. :unsure2:

Mormons are not pro-same sex marriage.

Nibs

I hope these aren't the same people who were campaigning against same-sex marriages. :unsure2:

Ironic, isn't it?

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, Mormonism is the only religion commonly practiced in Utah which allows polygamous marriages - although there may be some Muslims living there who might say otherwise.

If the conditions under which such marriages are allowed in Mormonism comply with all the requirement of marriage under secular law (i.e. women are not property or chattel, no discrimination according to "first wife", etc) then I see no reason why such marriages should not be allowed.

There are no religious arguments for polygamous marriage, such a state cannot be allowed simply because it is a "religious tradition", but the marriage must be shown to be compliant with the law of the land. For example, the marriage conditions cannot be only that a man may have multiple wives - as this is obviously discriminatory. Polygamous marriage can only be allowed if it does not discriminate according to State and Federal Law.

Edited by Leonardo

although it isn't something i'd be interested in, I can't understand why so many are against polygamy. I also don't understand why a man would want to have more than one wife, I mean geez isn't that enough toilet paper being used per day?? lol

you would not see a woman with two husbands I can almost guarantee that - the laundry alone would dissuade her.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, Mormonism is the only religion commonly practiced in Utah which allows polygamous marriages - although there may be some Muslims living there who might say otherwise.

They don't. Their proper name is the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Reorganized because they disavowed plural marriage in what? 1904?

A lot of the funding for California prop 8 is said to have come from Utah.

They don't. Their proper name is the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Reorganized because they disavowed plural marriage in what? 1904?

A lot of the funding for California prop 8 is said to have come from Utah.

I live near a few fundamentalist mormon communities, I can tell you plural marriage is rampant there.