Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gaia Launched

Waspie_Dwarf

Liftoff of Arianespace’s Soyuz mission with Gaia

December 19, 2013 – Soyuz Flight VS06

Arianespace’s Soyuz launcher has begun its sixth flight from the Spaceport, carrying Europe’s Gaia star-mapper spacecraft for an ambitious mission to chart the Milky Way.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Next stop… the stars! Arianespace successfully lofts Gaia on Soyuz

December 19, 2013 – Soyuz Flight VS06

Arianespace marked another mission accomplished for science as its medium-lift Soyuz successfully launched the European Space Agency’s Gaia billion-star surveyor today from the Spaceport in French Guiana.

Gaia – named for the Greek mythological Mother Goddess – is now beginning an ambitious mission to chart the largest, most precise three-dimensional map of the Milky Way galaxy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Good stuff, now we get highly accurate maps and distances. :tu:

I wonder if Google will buy them..and make a real Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy!! :lol:

Liftoff for ESA’s billion-star surveyor

19 December 2013 ESA PR 44-2013: ESA’s Gaia mission blasted off this morning on a Soyuz rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana, on its exciting mission to study a billion suns.

Gaia is destined to create the most accurate map yet of the Milky Way. By making accurate measurements of the positions and motions of 1% of the total population of roughly 100 billion stars, it will answer questions about the origin and evolution of our home Galaxy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Gaia launch - Lift-off

Watch a replay of ESA's billion-star surveyor Gaia launching into space at 09:12UT/10:12CET on 19 December

Credit: ESA / CNES / Arianespace

Source: ESA - Space in Videos

Can't wait,hopefully there will be some new discoveries along the way.

I hope they find "Earth 2.0" and that we are able to send PPL there within the years that I am still amongst the living here on this planet... -I want one of my children to be part of the group of settlers that helps to colonize "The Real New World" so that my soul may, potentially, be reborn on a completely different planet...