Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does water flow on the surface of Mars ?

UM-Bot

Dark streaks on photographs taken from orbit could be indicators that water does flow on the Red Planet.

Despite freezing temperatures and a landscape that seems for all intents and purposes to be as dry as a bone, scientists believe that there are still hints that liquid water is able to flow, albeit rarely, on the surface of Mars.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/259631/does-water-flow-on-the-surface-of-mars

And we have probes op there and we can't get them to investigate.......do we really have probes up there ??

Where do you think this information came from in the first place?

• Like 2

More reasons for us to man missions to Mars ! We all should be up and support this mission to Mars ! Manned !& Womaned !

• Like 1

Its certainly intriguing isnt it? But with no real way of knowing unless any mission drops a sterile probe right where its taking place..it will remain a mystery for the time being..

Just more slow dissemination of the truth as called for by the Brookings report. No surprise to me. Soon (in the next 10 years) they will start to hint that we may be able to breath the red planets atmosphere. If you don't believe me just read a book about Mars written in the 80's and see how many thing we knew to be fact about Mars then we now know to be wrong. I'm saying they've known it to be true the entire time. Brookings report people.

• Like 2

The reason there are no probes as such to check right there is because they sent them to a totally different region and its not simple enough to just "drive" it there. Remember its a planet, not a farmers field...... it is the equivalent of the water being in Canada, and the probe is in Mexico..... and it drives at a speed of 0.5 mph to make sure it doesn't encounter any difficulties that will wreck it forever!

The reason they let this information out now is because they will be looking for new funding to send a brand new probe to the planet and to get the investment funding to do that mission requires them to make great reasons as to why to send one. The reality of it is that this is just one of probably 500 different geological sites on Mars that are of huge interest to the science community and only so many funds they can safely secure to check on one or two of them. This "water" could be 15th most valuable landing site of 500!

Just more slow dissemination of the truth as called for by the Brookings report. No surprise to me. Soon (in the next 10 years) they will start to hint that we may be able to breath the red planets atmosphere. If you don't believe me just read a book about Mars written in the 80's and see how many thing we knew to be fact about Mars then we now know to be wrong. I'm saying they've known it to be true the entire time. Brookings report people.

Roger, copy that.

lets go back to September when Nasa announced existence of "water soaked" soil back then;

of course there is flowing water on Mars still, there are lakes and seas of water down below underneath the surface. It's a fact! ...well there is life too, but robots can't see it...

http://www.spacenews...in-martian-dirt

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

This will push some paranoid buttons. :)

http://www.nature.com/news/water-seems-to-flow-freely-on-mars-1.14343

Off-limits

Yet the possibility of running water could put the sites off-limits for future spacecraft unless they are carefully sterilized. The international guidelines of the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) of the Paris-based International Council for Science say that sites that may host life, called 'special regions', should only be visited by probes that have been thoroughly treated to prevent microbes from hitching a ride from Earth. "You wouldn't want to send a dirty spacecraft to these places because you'd have the potential to not discover what you're looking for, but what you took with you," says John Rummel, chair of COSPAR's panel on planetary protection.

lets go back to September when Nasa announced existence of "water soaked" soil back then;

of course there is flowing water on Mars still, there are lakes and seas of water down below underneath the surface. It's a fact! ...well there is life too, but robots can't see it...

http://www.spacenews...in-martian-dirt

Take it to the UFO/ET section,... this one is for real science.

Take it to the UFO/ET section,... this one is for real science.

Read more boy...

Wish they would send a drone so more ground could be covered.

How would it stay up? Mars's atmosphere at the surface is about 1% of the pressure of Earth's atmosphere at the surface. A bit tricky trying to fly in that.

And how long would it be able to stay up (assuming a way could be found to make it fly)? What's the record for an Earth drone staying aloft?

I understand people have tossed around plans involving helium balloons to float around the place. But they can't be steered. I reckon I'd swear a bit if errant winds blew my balloon just out of range of a site of interest.

How would it stay up? Mars's atmosphere at the surface is about 1% of the pressure of Earth's atmosphere at the surface. A bit tricky trying to fly in that.

And how long would it be able to stay up (assuming a way could be found to make it fly)? What's the record for an Earth drone staying aloft?

I understand people have tossed around plans involving helium balloons to float around the place. But they can't be steered. I reckon I'd swear a bit if errant winds blew my balloon just out of range of a site of interest.

heres a 5 year drone... but its orbital...and solar

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/almost-orbital-solar-powered-drone-offered-as-atmospheric-satellite/

I didn't think that water could exist in flowing liquid form because of the thin atmosphere?

Pure water can't. Extremely salty water can. Besides it appears that this water does not remain on the surface long. It appears, flows then disappears again.

How about underground water? Thats where it all is I would guess. Soon we should know !