Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Winter solstice 2013

lost bird

Today Dec 21, at 6:55 am i am celebrating the sun rise in the east.

And how are you celebrating the sun rise in the east?

I'm celebrating with friends and a fire ceremony. Some Native American friends have permission to climb a very big rock, on top of which they'll do ceremony to honor both solstice and their ancestors. It's a sacred time of year for many people, and I love the diversity of the celebrations & ceremonies.

• Like 4

Last night I went out to one of the local Pagan Solstice party. They had a potluck and a tasty yule log cake and Medieval music. Today I am spending with family. I have been ordered not to bring up my religion no matter what. My brother's fundamentalist preacher brother and sister in law will be there from out of town. Bless this... blah blah blah... in Blah's name, awen. Then I stuff my mouth with food and wait for my motor mouth sis in law or my son to spill the beans. Should make for an interesting day. :whistle:

Last night I went out to one of the local Pagan Solstice party. They had a potluck and a tasty yule log cake and Medieval music. Today I am spending with family. I have been ordered not to bring up my religion no matter what. My brother's fundamentalist preacher brother and sister in law will be there from out of town. Bless this... blah blah blah... in Blah's name, awen. Then I stuff my mouth with food and wait for my motor mouth sis in law or my son to spill the beans. Should make for an interesting day. :whistle:

Why would you go to a Pagan party?

I can only assume because you feel the same way Beany does:

I'm celebrating with friends and a fire ceremony. Some Native American friends have permission to climb a very big rock, on top of which they'll do ceremony to honor both solstice and their ancestors. It's a sacred time of year for many people, and I love the diversity of the celebrations & ceremonies.

If that is the case...then isn't your post about...blah, blah, in blahs name awen...a bit hypocritical? How can you on one hand, embrace any belief system, and on the other hand, denegrate someone else's without being hypocritical?

Doesn't that, in and of itself, negate the whole idea behind Solstice?

Edited by joc

Maybe because GreenmansGod is pagan? (Wiccan I think?)

P.S..I am not trying to be man to you Greeman..just answering joc's question.

Edited by Ryu

Maybe because GreenmansGod is pagan? (Wiccan I think?)

P.S..I am not trying to be man to you Greeman..just answering joc's question.

That's kind of a given. The whole point I was trying to make though, I think I did.

In truth, the least hypocritical of people I know are Wiccan...Pagan isn't Wiccan...Wiccan is Wiccan...as far as 'pagan' goes...most of Christianity has at its roots 'pagan'. And while Wiccan may be 'pagan' in the eyes of some...all I am attempting to do is open those eyes to the fact that ALL belief is a personal walk and all walks should be free of hate from a different walk. If that makes any sense.

Edited by joc
  • Like 3

Beautifully said, Joc.

• Like 1

all I am attempting to do is open those eyes to the fact that ALL belief is a personal walk and all walks should be free of hate from a different walk. If that makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense. And I agree.

Up until one group starts lighting the other group on fire.

But that doesn't happen anymore. At least not in the literal sense.

Edited by Neognosis
  • Like 1

I believe he made the comment because he is told to not utter one word about his faith, but his brother and sis-in-law will be openly displaying their faith throughout the gathering. I can understand how that can upset someone.

ALL belief is a personal walk and all walks should be free of hate from a different walk.

I agree with this. I also agree certain faiths should not be told to keep their mouths shut. Greensman, I'm sorry your family isn't accepting like they should be.

• Like 1

I don't know. Why would an atheist, me, like to attend Christmas ceremonies and performances at our friends churches? I've been collecting Christmas decorations for 30 years and people have given many of them to me as gifts. I have eight Christmas trees, a few were hand me downs, and we have a big party on Christmas Day. We are expecting more than 50 people this year from pagans, wiccans, Hindus and Muslims to the most devoutly religious Christians.

My husband and I only have a couple of siblings with only one, now grown, child between us. We started out inviting a few people over who had no one to spend Christmas with and it has grown steadily over the years.

• Like 1

I don't know. Why would an atheist, me, like to attend Christmas ceremonies and performances at our friends churches? I've been collecting Christmas decorations for 30 years and people have given many of them to me as gifts. I have eight Christmas trees, a few were hand me downs, and we have a big party on Christmas Day. We are expecting more than 50 people this year from pagans, wiccans, Hindus and Muslims to the most devoutly religious Christians.

My husband and I only have a couple of siblings with only one, now grown, child between us. We started out inviting a few people over who had no one to spend Christmas with and it has grown steadily over the years.

I wasn't really asking the question because I was wondering why anyone would go to such a thing.

I think I probably missed something in Greensmans post...Purplos pointed it out accurately I think.

Posted Today, 12:43 PM

I believe he made the comment because he is told to not utter one word about his faith, but his brother and sis-in-law will be openly displaying their faith throughout the gathering. I can understand how that can upset someone.

yeah...in retrospect...I'm sure the preacher part of the family wouldn't be so 'friendly' about discussing religious beliefs with someone who didn't believe that way. Just goes to show you how funny people can be about belief systems..

Hey Greensmans...Apologies...didn't mean to really call you a hypocrite...just was pointing something out that I think I interpreted wrongly.

And ...I'm betting that she didn't tell THEM not to utter a word about whatever....so...my bad

Edited by joc

I cannot help but picture people dancing naked in the woods during these gatherings.I have been wanting to visit a standing stone near me during these celestial events, but keep forgetting about it.

p.s. I do not expect to see naked people there....fyi

I can only assume because you feel the same way Beany does:

If that is the case...then isn't your post about...blah, blah, in blahs name awen...a bit hypocritical? How can you on one hand, embrace any belief system, and on the other hand, denegrate someone else's without being hypocritical?

Doesn't that, in and of itself, negate the whole idea behind Solstice?

Joc, you been around here long enough to know I have never said any one should embrace any belief system. If I did I must have been drunk at the time. Solstice is about the return of the light half of the year. The Holly King makes way for the Green Man. In a Nature base religions it is about the turning of the wheel of time.

That's kind of a given. The whole point I was trying to make though, I think I did.

In truth, the least hypocritical of people I know are Wiccan...Pagan isn't Wiccan...Wiccan is Wiccan...as far as 'pagan' goes...most of Christianity has at its roots 'pagan'. And while Wiccan may be 'pagan' in the eyes of some...all I am attempting to do is open those eyes to the fact that ALL belief is a personal walk and all walks should be free of hate from a different walk. If that makes any sense.

Wicca is a part of Neo Paganism. There are now two uses of the word "pagan". Pagan with a small 'p' refers to the ancient pagans. Pagan with a large "P" refers to the Neo Pagan movement of Earth based religions such as Wicca, Pagan Druidry, Astru, etc. I circle with a lot of Wiccans, I have been in a Wiccan coven, Wicca is Pagan. I am a Pagan Druid, not to be confused with the fraternity Druids.

Just because I don't like a particular religion doesn't mean I hate people who are walking that path. I just have an opinion and it is my nature to speak my mind. I find Christians usually speak their minds around me. Sometimes it just serves to make me glad I'm going to hell..

• Like 1

I wasn't really asking the question because I was wondering why anyone would go to such a thing.

I think I probably missed something in Greensmans post...Purplos pointed it out accurately I think.

yeah...in retrospect...I'm sure the preacher part of the family wouldn't be so 'friendly' about discussing religious beliefs with someone who didn't believe that way. Just goes to show you how funny people can be about belief systems..

Hey Greensmans...Apologies...didn't mean to really call you a hypocrite...just was pointing something out that I think I interpreted wrongly.

And ...I'm betting that she didn't tell THEM not to utter a word about whatever....so...my bad

It is all good. My sister in law her some brain damage and what pops into her mind comes out her mouth.

I respect people's right to believe, but don't always respect their beliefs, especially when they're harmful, divisive, and militant, i.e. the Duck guy and all those fundamentalists who stand behind him. Christianity is supposed to be about loving our neighbors, good will towards men & women, and the 10 commandments doesn't list any exceptions or exemptions to that rule, or any of the other 9.

• Like 2

I don't live too far from Newgrange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange) and every year on solstice the rising sun illuminates the main chamber via an opening above the entrance that sends a shaft of light down the passageway and into the central chamber. I'd love to see it myself, but demand is high and there's an annual lottery. The phenomenon also works for the couple of days before and after solstice.

They do simulate the effect when giving tours of the monument but I'd love to see the real deal myself.

Sorry 'bout that. I took a quick break from my ho ho hoing, skimmed the thread and shot my mouth off. I better just concentrate on what I was doing and get back to work. :santa::tu:

• Like 1

Sorry 'bout that. I took a quick break from my ho ho hoing, skimmed the thread and shot my mouth off. I better just concentrate on what I was doing and get back to work. :santa::tu:

No problem chickiepoo. I kind of shot my mouth off too... :cry::-*

:santa: Alls well that ends well. The Christians and the Pagans played cards well into the night. My brother is a knuckle head. My sister in law spilled the beans right off and the only one who cared was my brother. That is ok, I gave his ADHD dog a squeaky toy for Christmas. eek eek eek eek...
  • Like 1

:santa: Alls well that ends well. The Christians and the Pagans played cards well into the night. My brother is a knuckle head. My sister in law spilled the beans right off and the only one who cared was my brother. That is ok, I gave his ADHD dog a squeaky toy for Christmas. eek eek eek eek...

Sounds like a great made for TV movie! And you sound like a great guy for not only taking it in stride, but also for your capacity for love & tolerance.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great made for TV movie! And you sound like a great guy for not only taking it in stride, but also for your capacity for love & tolerance.

Why am I thinking now of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? :w00t:

• Like 1