Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crazy Plan to Bring Hippo Ranching to America

Still Waters

In the early years of the last century, the U.S. Congress considered a bold and ingenious plan that would simultaneously solve two pressing problems - a national meat shortage and a growing ecological crisis. The plan was this: hippopotamus ranching.

http://www.wired.com...tamus-ranching/

• Like 2

Uh-huh...I see.

Well, just wait until they try herding these things then we'll see who gets the last laugh.

Hippos are not exactly "docile" and stupid like the factory farm cows are...

• Like 2

will they start selling hippos milk as well? Which is pink

Hippos-Milk-Is-Pink.jpg

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I do wonder if whoever thought of this idea was aware of the fact the hippo is the most dangerous creature in Africa other then the mosquito.

• Like 3

Hippos-Milk-Is-Pink.jpg

I don't think a hippo is gonna stand for being milked. Ah..the fun begins...

• Like 1

I don't think they realised just how dangerous these animals were, back in 1910 when this was proposed.. Even the croc,s are scared of these guys. The whole plan would've ended in disaster I reckon, you need a pretty big gun to deal with animals that are effectively bulletproof!

Maybe this does merrit some research. If the meat is good, I think modern technology could allow "Hippo ranches" to be successful. I guess the multiply fairly quickly. They feed on most grasses and vegetation. In a secure pen with abundant swampy area, having GPS tagged hippos might be OK.

They seem to like boats and people. [*facepalm* *eyeroll*]

"The hippo is extremely aggressive, unpredictable and unafraid of humans, upsetting boats sometimes without provocation and chomping the occupants with its huge canine teeth and sharp incisors. Most human deaths occur when the victim gets between the hippo and deep water or between a mother and her calf. I've read descriptions of their ground-rumbling charges--bellowing loudly, swinging their heads like giant sledgehammers, the massive open mouth with slashing teeth..."

Link

Edited by Winter Summer
  • Like 1

"Hippo Ranching" sounds a little bit like something my friends and I did a few times in college.

Is it a variation on "hogging?"

• Like 1

I do wonder if whoever thought of this idea was aware of the fact the hippo is the most dangerous creature in Africa other then the mosquito.

only due to most people underestimating their territorial aggresion..

I'm not sure that they would be effective water hyacinth control anyway, I thought they generally leave the water and feed on grass after dark. I think the best think you could do for water hyacinth is to have specially constructed boats that would skim it off the surface and the take it to be processed into various products: green fertilizer, methane to run engines, palletized for animal fodder, etcetera. The way it grows it's the ultimate renewable resource.

Hippos are killers, better not to let them run amok.

I'm not sure that they would be effective water hyacinth control anyway, I thought they generally leave the water and feed on grass after dark. I think the best think you could do for water hyacinth is to have specially constructed boats that would skim it off the surface and the take it to be processed into various products: green fertilizer, methane to run engines, palletized for animal fodder, etcetera. The way it grows it's the ultimate renewable resource.

Hippos are killers, better not to let them run amok.

Well your no fun. :yes:

• Like 1

Grazy plan to bring Hippo racing to America? Ouups, ranching, sorry.

Aw man, now I want a strawberry Fribble from Friendly's.

fribble.png

• Like 1

Hippos are very dangerous.

Especially if they are hungry, hungry hippos.

• Like 2

Hippos are very dangerous.

Especially if they are hungry, hungry hippos.

c2dfb5c9fd27cae67ada0329fb030357.jpg

HAAA!!!

Of course, we all know that there isn't really a serious plan to bring "hippo ranching" to the United States. I doubt this plan was ever serious, even during the time period the article says it was a thing.

Edited by Neognosis
  • Like 1

Hippo burgers and Steaks. Now that would be Hip. :w00t:

Edited by Hawkin

To solve some problem also,people want to kill animals. :huh: Not to mention,Hippopotamus killed more people in Africa than any other animal including the brutal Crocodiles.

Edited by SameerPrehistorica

only due to most people underestimating their territorial aggresion..

Only due to the fact they're completely insane.