Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concerns raised over 'astonishing' data loss

UM-Bot

Disorganisation is being blamed for as much as 80% of study data being lost within a period of 20 years.

With the widespread availability of computers and the Internet in this day and age it would seem like a simple task to store the results of a study in a reliable location so that they can be retrieved and referenced later on, yet remarkably a large percentage of the data recorded during scientific studies is being irretrievably lost.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/259719/concerns-raised-over-astonishing-data-loss

• Like 2

That is why important documents must have hard copies stored in archives.

• Like 1

And this is just a trickle of data lost in the grand scheme of 'modern' times. In this age of magnetic storage how much of our current technology and knowledge would be lost if the power went out for any appreciable length of time?

• Like 1

Seems about right to me. I mean, I throw out stuff all the time.

Not all scientific study's data is actually worth saving. Very likely 50% of what is recorded for science just needs to be thrown out anyway. I mean there is data being collected on the breeding habits of extinct animals. (I don't know that for sure, but it sounds likely.)

Edited by DieChecker

Once again, modern science fails exceptionally. The age of stupid , that is currently ..

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I have trouble taking this one seriously. Surely scientific data of importance is backed up on non-volatile media. If it is so trivial as to be thrown away, then that is probably the best thing for it.