Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cloud computing?

Only_

Hello,

It is a fact that most of us own at least a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, a smartphone, ect and maybe even more than one of these.

Cloud computing is getting ever more popular for it's capabaility to stock all your files online therefore allowing a covenient use of them in various devices or to help an old computer getting more life.

Are you in favor of using a cloud system such as JoliDrive, BoX, Google Drive, SkyDrive ect ect.?

Is this the future of how operating systems will be in computers?

Let,s talk about it.

Edited by Taridb

I am NOT in favor of it at all. These "cloud" servers are owned and run by someone else and anything you put in there can easily be claimed as their property. Nothing will be yours and is subject to seemingly greater chances of hacking and so forth.

It might have its uses but I prefer having MY stuff on MY hard drive to retrieve when I want without basically paying for the permission to use MY files. Nuh-uh...not gonna go for that at all. It's bad enough if you have to have an activation code to use a operating system you have purchased but to pay a fee to store files on a remote server you have absolutely NO control over and still lose it at a moments notice AND your stuff WILL be snooped on regardless of what Google or whoever says.

I just do not trust it..it is too easy for the government, or shall I say, it will be easier for them to snoop, confiscate and outright steal anything there.

I'll stick to using the "old" way of using my own computer.

• Like 5

The safer and more reliable solution is that you put a NAS server in your cellar connected to your home network. Any old PC you have in your attic could work for that and the software is available as open source.

The only cloud like application I use is dropbox, and that only to exchange very large files with others.

• Like 1

Ruy-> Actually, Google offer 15G of space for free, Micrososft 8 GiG, Box 10G , Drop box 2G. So no you do have to pay fee to use a cloud services. Unless you have a lot of files to stock than you can pay for more. But you can use more than one of this service at once and nothing force you to use your real name nor a genuine email adress. So, if you're uneasy like me with your personal identity and privacy you can choose to be quite anonymous. As for Intelligent agencies, who care what kind of music I listen and video I watch? Pictures can be of anyone, without a name on it.

I've a balanced approach with regard to cloud computing. I will not give up my desktop operating system but the cloud offer interesting ideas and alternatives.

Using a cloud to stock files can be useful as long as you have a backup and do not use it for the purpose of hiding criminal activities. I've heard a tale of someone putting all his stuff: bills, documents, student works, ect on a cloud server only to have his account removed for alleged infringement. He claim he did nothing wrong and as a result lost all his stuffs.

A simple back up of a USB flash drive of an external hard drive will have save him this grievous total lost. You've to think what would happen if this service shut it's door? So, yes you can free you hard drive of your files if you feel the need to and are at easy with it but have a back up somewhere safe at home.

questionmark-> Well, a better way is to simply use a lightweight distro of Linux such as Puppy or DamnSmallLinux on a old computer instead of remaining on XP, no longer supported in April or try Windows 7. A nice side of cloud computing is that you do not need office software, email client and all kind of things that may swollen you harddrive. You can just as easily use Google doc or Microsoft web app and running things online which will make an old computer more reliable.

Edited by Taridb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am NOT in favor of it at all. These "cloud" servers are owned and run by someone else and anything you put in there can easily be claimed as their property. Nothing will be yours and is subject to seemingly greater chances of hacking and so forth.

It might have its uses but I prefer having MY stuff on MY hard drive to retrieve when I want without basically paying for the permission to use MY files. Nuh-uh...not gonna go for that at all. It's bad enough if you have to have an activation code to use a operating system you have purchased but to pay a fee to store files on a remote server you have absolutely NO control over and still lose it at a moments notice AND your stuff WILL be snooped on regardless of what Google or whoever says.

I just do not trust it..it is too easy for the government, or shall I say, it will be easier for them to snoop, confiscate and outright steal anything there.

I'll stick to using the "old" way of using my own computer.

Thats why you keep a Copy on your Computer and then have Backups to Backups on multiple different Servers. That way if one of those companies ****s with your files claiming it as there property etc. ,then you can still have your files. Or if your like me after a certain amount of time has passed and you haven't even opened the document in a month or so than you should store it in a cloud server for future reference. I am all for Cloud Service. You just got to have backups to backups. Especially since i clean out my computer of all of its **** every 2 or so months.

Edited by stevemagegod

I've always been concerned about what happens when the cloud's servers are infected with a virus. Or if the hardware just goes bad. You're SOL if that happens, so I'd rather keep important files on my hard drive.

• Like 1

I've always been concerned about what happens when the cloud's servers are infected with a virus. Or if the hardware just goes bad. You're SOL if that happens, so I'd rather keep important files on my hard drive.

Generally the back-up quality of professional server is good enough to avoid those problems. My problem is more how confidential my work remains, and there I don't trust them.

Cloud computing does have its place as I use Dropbox to work on documents via my phone and vice versa, but I wont be using it anytime soon to replace storing all my files on my own hard drive.

There are too many things that can go wrong with cloud computing, for example if their servers go down then you lose access to your files or there is always the chance something may happen that results in all your files being lost.

Or they can suddenly go out of business or start charging fees to recover your info or in some other way hold your data hostage.

• Like 1

Let's not forget the minimum resources set aside for the OS attached softwares to keep the cloud fluffy and not too cloudy ~

I don't trust the running of those servers ~ some glitch somewhere or some talented hacker could just set a chain reaction of codes that makes your 'private' designated stuff turned 'public share' and you're just caught with your private bits flapping out there in the interwebz

For the mobiles or pads its okay ... but for my PC ... I'll keep the cloud out of my business with a sunny and clear skies forecast ~ with blueray and external HDDs - backups are not problematic anymore ... no matter how much stuff you hoard up in a year or two ...

using an old PC is a great idea but the downside is you just have another machine to watch over that does next to nothing but just transactions, practically a dead weight peripheral ... unless you really has the kind of puter related activity per day its just more pain in the neck for next to no gains, you still need to watch over the dedicated server to make sure its still dedicating properly you know ...

I'm NOT in favor of it. I'm not in favor of the way that technology is going or how it's effecting people. People are becoming more and more like robots and this crap is just non-human.

Has anyone ever seen the movie Wall-E? I seriously think that people are going to end up like the humans in that movie, with the way that things are going, with people's face constantly glued to any type of screen.. lol

image.jpg

• Like 1

And coming to you soon ...

mobile technology

Samsung unveils 5G technology

Jennifer Scott Monday 13 May 2013 11:57

Whilst 4G is only just beginning to roll-out in the UK, Samsung is talking of the next step in mobile connectivity – the launch of 5G.

The South Korean firm published a blog post today claiming to have made a breakthrough in the technology that could see it hit the shelves in phones and tablets by 2020.

It said it had created the first adaptive array transceiver technology to be used by millimetre-wave Ka bands. Samsung believes this particular frequency provides far superior speeds for mobile networks, transmitting data “several hundred times faster than current 4G.”

• computer weekly link

I actually find cloud computing quite useful whenever I log in to someone's Xbox 360, try to upload a video on my Xbox One's Game DVR, and play a game on Steam. The fact that I don't need to bring my console nor memory files is a huge benefit for me. I do agree that personal information/privacy is something to look back to. For security and privacy purposes, I highly suggest not to add anything personal/important information on the Internet. The Internet is infected with hackers and you'll never know when they'll pull the trigger on you.

It is pretty easy to say personal information should not be put on the cloud, but we do the equivalent all the time when we buy something on-line, do a banking or stock transaction, or even "like" something (let alone the things we do searches for). Someone dedicating themselves to putting a dossier together about you can do it I think no matter how careful one is. The only real defense is the immense amount of work such a thing now requires, but even this with data scanning software will get easier. Just keep your head down and your eyes open.

• Like 1

Unless you use a pre-paid card, Merton, I agree with everything you say.

You made a good point right there.

Nowadays, it seems that everything is being done digital: school assignments, job applications, movies, music, etc. Now thanks to modern technology, we have the power to access anything we want whether it's legal or illegal to do so. I have a feeling that privacy will be almost non-existent in the future. The more technology we have; the easier life gets. Question is, how would that impact mankind? Would it make us more lazier and less physically social than what we are now?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all. I need an advice. I work as a graphic designer. My portfolio is set in Picassa account (free and so far accurate for my needs) but my works published there are only in resized and compressed versions. There’s no raw files, including layers, so I can’t do any corrections on original “base” material. I work mostly on my desktop (in a workplace) and there are many situations when deadline forces me to apply instant changes and modifications in posters or other files. Sometimes they must be printed ASAP and although I’m working remotely form home not all files are moved to my home computer. That’s why I’m wondering about using cloud to storage files (large files often) and have direct access to it any time I need. My employer is fully minded to this idea, but he wants me to do some research and show him few options. Which service would You recommend? My close friend told me about Comzetta… I’ve seen it’s not so expensive, but my question is: can I trust this solution? Do you have already some experience with it?

• Like 1

Hi all. I need an advice. I work as a graphic designer. My portfolio is set in Picassa account (free and so far accurate for my needs) but my works published there are only in resized and compressed versions. There’s no raw files, including layers, so I can’t do any corrections on original “base” material. I work mostly on my desktop (in a workplace) and there are many situations when deadline forces me to apply instant changes and modifications in posters or other files. Sometimes they must be printed ASAP and although I’m working remotely form home not all files are moved to my home computer. That’s why I’m wondering about using cloud to storage files (large files often) and have direct access to it any time I need. My employer is fully minded to this idea, but he wants me to do some research and show him few options. Which service would You recommend? My close friend told me about Comzetta… I’ve seen it’s not so expensive, but my question is: can I trust this solution? Do you have already some experience with it?

Google App Engine. I'm currently doing a cloud computing course in which GAE is being currently used. It's more for developers but if you can find a good interface and get it set up. It has quite a generous monthly usage allowance before you breach it and pay for the excess.

Hi, I write here, because I need help in a matter of “cloud” data storage. I study philology, so I’m not so good in “computer stuff”, but I heard that you can storage some data on an outside server and access it whenever you want from different locations. I write my thesis on my computer at home and on my notebook at the library and each time I need to copy all the files on a pendrive, and then I get confused which file is what, which is the newest version, which is the older. I know I can send files to myself via e-mail but this is even worse and, additionally, I’m worried about google having access to my data (btw: is it true or am I really paranoid?). I googled Dropbox, but I’m not sure if I want to use it – my girlfriend has it and it somehow accidently overwritten her bachelor dissertation while synchronizing (?) some folder and she lost almost 10 pages of it. Searchengine suggested Comzetta, but I’m afraid it will be too complicated for me to use. What do you suggest?

I suspect the economics will more and more come to favor cloud data storage and large hard drives, especially those used for backup, will disappear. Having two separate companies providing backup, so long as you are assured they don't contract it to a common place, would seem to be almost as safe as having your own plus a backup on the cloud, and cheaper.

I suspect the economics will more and more come to favor cloud data storage and large hard drives, especially those used for backup, will disappear. Having two separate companies providing backup, so long as you are assured they don't contract it to a common place, would seem to be almost as safe as having your own plus a backup on the cloud, and cheaper.

Well using a cloud service is more reliable too. It would be safer to access but you'd be relying on the security and jurisdiction of the provider to handle your data and not be intrusive. Where with your own personal hard drive. You could easily keep it more secure from outside intruders using a computer not connected to the internet and free of any malware.

• Like 1

I think if I had sensitive data I would scramble it myself before sending it to the cloud, regardless of their promises in that regard. There is also the possibility of the internet being unavailable when you really need the data. Therefore I see it as a good secondary backup with the advantage of being off premises.

• Like 1

Hi, I write here, because I need help in a matter of “cloud” data storage. I study philology, so I’m not so good in “computer stuff”, but I heard that you can storage some data on an outside server and access it whenever you want from different locations. I write my thesis on my computer at home and on my notebook at the library and each time I need to copy all the files on a pendrive, and then I get confused which file is what, which is the newest version, which is the older. I know I can send files to myself via e-mail but this is even worse and, additionally, I’m worried about google having access to my data (btw: is it true or am I really paranoid?). I googled Dropbox, but I’m not sure if I want to use it – my girlfriend has it and it somehow accidently overwritten her bachelor dissertation while synchronizing (?) some folder and she lost almost 10 pages of it. Searchengine suggested Comzetta, but I’m afraid it will be too complicated for me to use. What do you suggest?

Well they have your data and can access it if they so will it. So that is a legitimate concern. It is illegal for them to do so unless there is a court order or some sort of authoritative intervention for your data. You can use Dropbox, amazon, etc. There are many options for cloud storage. You could even just rent your own server and connect to that via ssh using Winscp or FileZilla as well.

• Like 1

It's kinda funny; Americans are worried about their government and corporations having their data, I live in a Communist country and couldn't care less. Considering some of the things that nowadays gets posted in Vietnamese somehow I think the government feels pretty secure and doesn't need worry about people who gripe.