Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If Religion is so AWESOME tell me WHY?

soulpowertothenthdegree

Every person on this planet, believer or not, is aware of the notion called god. Religions, belief systems, worshipping are there to help those people in their search IF they want to understand better about god.

Religions are not there to prove god to masses. Prroving of god is an individual's task to himself/herself.

• Like 1

Every person on this planet, believer or not, is aware of the notion called god.

And make believe.
  • Like 4

I didn't grow up a believer. My upbringing was religious but not Christian, and at an early age my parents allowed me to follow my own path. So fast forward to my life, age 19, and I convert to Christianity. My search for the difference between right and wrong was not part of it. Thus I can only conclude that the thread premise is flawed, more an angsty diatribe against religion than actually any serious attempt at discussion.

• Like 4

I didn't grow up a believer. My upbringing was religious but not Christian, and at an early age my parents allowed me to follow my own path. So fast forward to my life, age 19, and I convert to Christianity. My search for the difference between right and wrong was not part of it. Thus I can only conclude that the thread premise is flawed, more an angsty diatribe against religion than actually any serious attempt at discussion.

Venting about religion and its faults is often just the ticket. Personally I like my religion; it encourages goodness and beauty and compassion without getting messed up in making converts.

I respect all religions on the Earth as sign posts of the evolution of the human spirit.

All are steeped in history and tradition, in the trials and tribulations of those that came before and cleared a path for the next generation. They are a means to honour our ancestors and give value to their lives by considering seriously what can be learned from the past.

Religions are as far from "perfect" as humanity itself, but I see alot of good in humanity, alot of sincerity and genuine attempts at making life good for themselves and their loved ones - It's about different strokes for different folks, everyone is working their way through the dogma and eventually they will surpass it so I don't have a problem with religion, it's a learning curve and for many it is the inspiration they need to find themselves and their piece of peace on this earth.

For those that do otherwise aka: follow the dogma into painful and negative territories that give them cause to harm or judge others, I feel a great sorrow and pity because they are lost and in being lost, they are more alone than they know.

• Like 4

I rather like Christmas. If you are not religious or spiritual what problem should you have with consumerism? Religions do a pretty good job of feeding the Hungary. Just saying.

• Like 1

We live in a world where religion is paramount to our existence as a human. You are either on the side that believes or doesn't believe the stories of the Bible, Koran, or numerous other religious based texts, but I just have a very basic problem with this religion concept. It has absolutely no basis for existing if the the fundamental reason is to extoll the virtues of righteousness.

The fundamental reason of religion is to find the truth about God. The truth about God is that He is both righteous and merciful.

How can you pray to a GOD about anything one minute and then be completely immoral the next? Religion is steeped in hypocrisy. Do you really need to have religion in your life to know what is right or wrong? I don't. I know what is right and what is wrong.

What is right and wrong isn't as simple as you suggest.

Ask yourself why you are buying Christmas presents and celebrating a ridiculous notion that is the basis for the economic stimulus we use to survive in our fake commercialized society?

I know. It's ridiculous.

I watch the news and see stories about the Pope having a desire to change the way the Vatican operates; that would be great, right? If it wasn't a crock of poop.

Respectfully I disagree. I don't think you have enough evidence to support your accusation.

The fact is, as long as there are homeless people and starving people living on this planet, religion is a farce.

Nobody is more p***ed about poverty than the current pope, a religious man. What are you doing for the poor?

Could religion have merits? Sure. But as it stands right now, there is no merit at all to believing or praying to any fake GODs for the sake of redemption in your afterlife. Give him your sins? Really? How about just not sinning.

Religion has merits in that it doesn't stop at humanity in its endeavors to find truth. There are no merits in praying to fake gods. I agree. Bit that doesn't mean that the topic of divine beings should be off the table. Rather, you should increase the education of religion so people can be better informed, rather than abolishing it from academia.

And I don't see how not sinning is so easy when many don't realize they are doing wrong. Once they do, then the struggle begins. And at least Jesus cares for the sinners...something to be found wanting in your prideful response.

Sure, you see this and think of me being on my soap box with my high horse, but I am not a fake and I completely understand that we all can make mistakes; learning from them is the key and not hurting others deliberately is paramount.

People aren't perfect. And I'm glad Jesus has open arms for them.

I don't need religion to understand right from wrong; do you?

Soul

I need religion to understand God. And what offends God is wrong.

Hitler did have a religion though. He did black magic and summoned demons.

Hitler was raised Catholic. The swastika comes from the gateway arch of a church he walked past daily as a child. He took his oratory style from that used by demagogue preachers. He learned from religion - he just didn't get the right message. There is no evidence that Hitler subscribed to any religious belief in later life, unless it was one of his own creation.

Himmler, on the other hand, tried to create and promulgate his own religion based on Germanic tradition that saw the Catholic church as the oppressor of German tradition. This led to conflicts with Hitler and Himmler had to tone down his public pronouncements.

Catholics and Protestants figured in the Third Reich, mostly by keeping silent when they should have created an uproar. The Vatican even assisted Nazis in escaping Germany at the end of the war. The Third Reich was very religious.

Doug

• Like 1

The fundamental reason of religion is to find the truth about God.

So those people who believe in multiple gods are doing religion all wrong?

I refuse to comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me. :w00t:

“The pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, an almost fanatical love of justice and the desire for personal independence -- these are the features of the Jewish tradition which make me thank my stars that I belong to it” (Einstein, The World As I Know It).

Edited by Estimated Prophet
  • Like 2

We live in a world where religion is paramount to our existence as a human. You are either on the side that believes or doesn't believe the stories of the Bible, Koran, or numerous other religious based texts, but I just have a very basic problem with this religion concept. It has absolutely no basis for existing if the the fundamental reason is to extoll the virtues of righteousness.

How can you pray to a GOD about anything one minute and then be completely immoral the next? Religion is steeped in hypocrisy. Do you really need to have religion in your life to know what is right or wrong? I don't. I know what is right and what is wrong.

Ask yourself why you are buying Christmas presents and celebrating a ridiculous notion that is the basis for the economic stimulus we use to survive in our fake commercialized society?

I watch the news and see stories about the Pope having a desire to change the way the Vatican operates; that would be great, right? If it wasn't a crock of poop.

The fact is, as long as there are homeless people and starving people living on this planet, religion is a farce.

Could religion have merits? Sure. But as it stands right now, there is no merit at all to believing or praying to any fake GODs for the sake of redemption in your afterlife. Give him your sins? Really? How about just not sinning. Sure, you see this and think of me being on my soap box with my high horse, but I am not a fake and I completely understand that we all can make mistakes; learning from them is the key and not hurting others deliberately is paramount.

I don't need religion to understand right from wrong; do you?

Soul

Your biases and prejudices are so obvious here it is hard to present you with a compelling alternative.

First, who says religion is paramount? Religion plays very little part in most people's lives Their spirituality and belief in a 'god" or a sense of right and wrong behaviour, might be a very different thing. For example less than 12% of australians intend attending church this Christmas, yet over 85 % still believe in some form of god, or a sense of the spiritual in their lives. The basis for belief is to construct how you will live What we believe in forms the basis for our values and hence our, morals ethics A person who believes in nothing can have no personal values and hence no personal ethics or moralities. Of course these can be secular humanist or other non religious beliefs, but we all need them.

Most people who pray to god are not immoral but some pray to god for forgiveness for things they have done wrong. We all need to confess our sins and ask for forgiveness even if it is only to the people we have hurt. How do you know what tis right and wrong? Who taught you this? where did their values come from?

Human values, and hence moralities, cannot be separated from human "religious" beliefs. They have gone together since the days of the cave men. Why is it wrong to kill? Why should another person's life hold any value compared to my own?.These are theological as much as philosophical questions whose answers create our moralities and hence laws.

And I agree, commercial realities have nothing to do with true nature and message of Christmas But surely everyone knows that. I am not a catholic and have little time for some of their beliefs but I actually have hope that this pope will change things. His greatest problem will be in overcoming the bureaucratic inertia of the Vatican.

The greatest providers for homeless and hungry people in the world, outside of governments, happen to be religious organisations and religious people

How do you know gods are fake?

I thought religion taught people not to do wrong and not to hurt other people. Christianity teaches that it wrong to do such things because we should love each other and treat each other as ourselves. Of course so does secular humanism, but religion provides compelling emotional reasons to behave well.

What IS right and wrong, and how do you know this?

• Like 1

“The pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, an almost fanatical love of justice and the desire for personal independence -- these are the features of the Jewish tradition which make me thank my stars that I belong to it” (Einstein, The World As I Know It).

:clap::st

• Like 1

While morals play a big part in religion, that's now what it's all about. Religion, in it's broadest sense, is how finite man relates to the infinite (the divine/cosmos/God).

As to specific religions, I like the description "the Church is not a museum for Saints, it's a hospital for sinners".

Edited by redhen
  • Like 2

While morals play a big part in religion, that's now what it's all about. Religion, in it's broadest sense, is how finite man relates to the infinite (the divine/cosmos/God).

As to specific religions, I like the description "the Church is not a museum for Saints, it's a hospital for sinners".

Sometimes more like an emergency room after a tornado.

• Like 1

While morals play a big part in religion, that's not what it's all about. Religion, in it's broadest sense, is how finite man relates to the infinite (the divine/cosmos/God).

I think that's what they meant to say.

Religion are the Sidewalks, that keep Society walking on the Government Controlled Path.

Some of us have given up on religion, at least the organized kind. Why? Because nobody seems to be able to produce any credible evidence that there even MIGHT be anything other than the natural universe we see around us. I will suspend judgment until someone actually produces something. Until then, I remain an agnostic.

Doug

• Like 1

I like Christmas, and I'm hardly a Christian. My dentist has a three-foot tall Santa set up in her lobby, doing a rock and roll version of "Santa is Coming to Town" in English and a-rockin' and a-rollin.

We have a large star on the dormer of our house that flashes blue and white and is very pretty. Now everyone knows I am not a Christian and tend in fact to be somewhat anti-Christian.

I think the problem with Christmas is the gift giving, which has had the unfortunate effect of being taken advantage of by merchants so that it has in the West become an obligation, contrary to the idea of gifts.

Well, Merry Christmas, everyone.

• Like 2

Some of us have given up on religion, at least the organized kind. Why? Because nobody seems to be able to produce any credible evidence that there even MIGHT be anything other than the natural universe we see around us. I will suspend judgment until someone actually produces something. Until then, I remain an agnostic.

Doug

Interesting. I came to agnosticism from the other end. I never 'gave up' on religion, it was just something I was never a part of.

But, Doug. To me, an agnostic can't 'suspend judgement' because the one thing they 'know' is that no credible evidence (one way or another) will be/can ever be proven.

Of that, I can be sure.

Doug

I'm in the agnostic group, too, but not for a lack of openness to possibilities. Instead of waiting for someone to produce evidence for me, I shakily (and badly) try to figure things out inside. I think I'm realizing a big part of religion is understanding and utilizing a trait called faith. Many people have given up on it, but I have a feeling that they're missing out on something very human. Whether you find it better or worse than 'credible evidence', I feel it is a part of the human existence I very much would like to explore more. But that's just my story.

• Like 3

I like Christmas, and I'm hardly a Christian...

I think the problem with Christmas is the gift giving, which has had the unfortunate effect of being taken advantage of by merchants so that it has in the West become an obligation, contrary to the idea of gifts.

Well, Merry Christmas, everyone.

That's why I give out socks at Christmas. Everyone needs warm feet.

Merry Christmas Frank,

all the best to you and yours! :)

• Like 1

Religion are the Sidewalks, that keep Society walking on the Government Controlled Path.

Well in a democracy that is very good thing is it not? Although I can't see any direct way religion works to keep citizens obedient to government. Often it challenges government attitudes and values and promotes healthy social change like social justice, equality for all citizens, welfare and housing for the poor and a universal health scheme so that no one is prevented from accessing hospital care..
  • Like 1