Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

McD tells workers To Stay Away From Fast Food

aztek

McDonalds website providing resources to its employees advises against eating hamburgers, fries and sodas. CNBC first noticedthe latest in a series of strange pieces of advice provided by the fast food company to its employees. "While convenient and economical for a busy lifestyle," McDonalds says of its primary product, "fast foods are typically high in calories, fat, saturated fat, sugar, and salt and may put people at risk for becoming overweight."

As strange as this seems, the bigger question seems to be how McDonald's employees would be able to afford healthier food on the wages they earn slinging burgers. Earlier this year, a McDonald's worker recorded an employee hotline counselor telling her to apply for food stamps. McDonald's also advises employees to break their food up into smaller piecesto stave off hunger and stretch their food budgets.

The company has some holiday advice, too: workers should return their Christmas presents for a refund to boost their budgets. And then there's the company's budget advice to its minimum wage workers: get a second job to cover living expenses.

more here

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

The company has some holiday advice, too: workers should return their Christmas presents for a refund to boost their budgets. And then there's the company's budget advice to its minimum wage workers: get a second job to cover living expenses.

But it is perfectly ok to sell that hydrogenated fat, MSG and preservative laden garbage to others? In essence McDonalds just admitted their food is toxic.

I especially love that last part..returning gifts that were given to them, with LOVE, by their families so they can "boost" their budgets.

Jerks....

• Like 3

What a bunch of bigots. Well, that is to expect with these companies.

But everybody should have been aware of fast foods being unhealthy without this.

• Like 2

makes sense...if you poison your own employees who is going to poison everybody else?

• Like 5

McDonald's employees are not forced to work there. The individual chooses to work there. Fast food companies have since day one been a plateform available for anybody to use entering the market. I think its great this company would say the cold hard truth to its employees. Its not a secret their food will lead to obesity if abused. Moderation is key in life. So is employment. Find something you like to do. Become good at it and use it for employment. Just do it.

I think poison is an excessive if not libelous word to use here. People who live on fast food because they are too lazy to fix their own food are well aware of what is going on and make that choice deliberately.

Some regulation and some market pressure is okay, but the idea is to keep the price down and the service fast.

As far as a job, it is not one that I would have, nor one that I can imagine anyone choosing. Unfortunately most people don't have the ability to pick and choose their job so as to have one they always love, except maybe me, and I was lucky. We sometimes have to grin and bear it and make a mental game out of what we are doing.

If you work your way up to being a manager you can have a good life. Fast food restaurant managers make can make as much as $60,000 to $70,000 per year.

And I don't think their food is any more toxic than any other food. Moderation is the key. If you overeat any kind of food you can become obese.

Art

Edited by Artaxerxes

Honestly, in my whole life, I can't ever remember anyone who worked at a fast food job who provided for a family on that job, or maintained their own household either... it was strictly work for students, an after school job, or in some cases, a second job. I'm not sure where people got the idea that you should be able to support yourself on a fast job's wages! Am I nuts here?

That aside, and back to the OP... No, people shouldn't eat McD's every day (or really ever in my opinion, but if yours differs that's fine) No one should eat any burger with fries and a soda every day, You WILL get fat. Guarantee it.

• Like 1

There has been whispers that fast food is also meant to be 'addictive'

:yes:

~

McD's 'product' really isn't food per say. My opinion is that no one should eat it. There was a documentray film a few years back entitled, "Supersize Me" (I think that was the title). After watching it I was horrified and told everyone I knew about the dangers of so called 'fast food'.

• Like 2

McD's 'product' really isn't food per say. My opinion is that no one should eat it. There was a documentray film a few years back entitled, "Supersize Me" (I think that was the title). After watching it I was horrified and told everyone I knew about the dangers of so called 'fast food'.

While I agree with you, I have to add that there is also another documentary, of a guy who did the same thing as in Supersize Me, only that he drank diet soda instead of regular, and he actually ended up losing weight. :unsure2:

McD's 'product' really isn't food per say.

I've always wondered about things like this. ^^

How isn't it food? Granted, it's not healthy food, but how does a McD's burger bun differ so greatly from a burger bun you buy in a bad at the market? How is their pickle different than a pickle in a jar? Or their french fry different than any bag of frozen fries?

Anyone who thinks a steady diet of fast food is healthy has a screw loose, but it's still food...

Speaking more to the topic, I'm with MissMelsWell on this. Slinging hamburgers at McD's isn't supposed to support a family of 4, etc.

• Like 2

On the one hand, I believe that if you need a second job in order to get by, then the point of minimum wage has been missed and it needs to be raised. On the other hand, I know a few people who go to get food at food drives for the homeless because they can't afford food --- yet have brand new iPhones, big screen TVs, new cars, etc.

So the big question is: is minimum wage really enough to live a healthy life? Are people just misspending their money of unnecessary "toys" and then claiming not to have enough money to survive? Or is minimum wage actually not enough to live on?

• Like 2

I only east Mickey dees like 3 times a year when I do I kinda feel toxic after an hour or so.not sick not ight lol

McDonalds website providing resources to its employees advises against eating hamburgers, fries and sodas. CNBC first noticedthe latest in a series of strange pieces of advice provided by the fast food company to its employees. "While convenient and economical for a busy lifestyle," McDonalds says of its primary product, "fast foods are typically high in calories, fat, saturated fat, sugar, and salt and may put people at risk for becoming overweight."

As strange as this seems, the bigger question seems to be how McDonald's employees would be able to afford healthier food on the wages they earn slinging burgers. Earlier this year, a McDonald's worker recorded an employee hotline counselor telling her to apply for food stamps. McDonald's also advises employees to break their food up into smaller piecesto stave off hunger and stretch their food budgets.

more here

From the article:

A separate post writes, "it is hard to eat a healthy diet when you eat at fast-food restaurants often," adding that large portions make it easy to overeat.

How's this any different than any other advice given about healthy eating? It is in no way a condemnation of McDonalds as it is a condemnation of eating fried chicken, candy, ice cream, or fois gras.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating fast food OCCASIONALLY (actually a McD's quarter pounder is quite nutritionally balanced). Like most anything else you eat, you just can't do it every single day.

Like the vast majority of these shock documentaries (flaming water anyone?), Supersize Me has been proven to be a complete farce. Several attempts have been made to replicate the results and it hasn't happened. Not that Cracked should be your best source, but good links are in the write up:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20585_6-famous-documentaries-that-were-shockingly-full-crap.html

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Here, by the way, is a list of ingredients in all McD's food.

I really don't get how McD's encouraging their employees to eat healthier and saving the fast food for occasional meals instead of daily meals is a bad thing.

I know that most corporations these days have some sort of 'Eat Healthy, Live Healthy' program that promotes a healthy lifestyle. I don't doubt for one second that McDonalds is any different than other larger corporations and probably has some version of this internally.

I believe that McDonalds was merely suggesting that to live a healthy lifestyle, that one shouldn't eat fast food as your staple diet; as that can become addictive.

McDonalds more than likely took down the website as a knee-jerk reaction to the viral media response that they have received. They are probably perceiving this as negative publicity, when in the long run; it's probably going to be great publicity for them.

I'd be willing to guess that Phillip Morris is laughing pretty hard at all of this. Even they admit that their tobacco products are unhealthy, and yet they continue to sell them to the public... better yet, the public continues to purchase those products. :yes:

• Like 2

From the article:

A separate post writes, "it is hard to eat a healthy diet when you eat at fast-food restaurants often," adding that large portions make it easy to overeat.

How's this any different than any other advice given about healthy eating? It is in no way a condemnation of McDonalds as it is a condemnation of eating fried chicken, candy, ice cream, or fois gras.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating fast food OCCASIONALLY (actually a McD's quarter pounder is quite nutritionally balanced). Like most anything else you eat, you just can't do it every single day.

you are right there is not much wrong with mcd telling employees not to eat their food to often, however their holiday advice, is dumb, and may be insulting to some. it would be to me, if my employers paid me pennies and told me to return my xmas presents to boost my budget.

• Like 3

Honestly, in my whole life, I can't ever remember anyone who worked at a fast food job who provided for a family on that job, or maintained their own household either... it was strictly work for students, an after school job, or in some cases, a second job. I'm not sure where people got the idea that you should be able to support yourself on a fast job's wages! Am I nuts here?

That aside, and back to the OP... No, people shouldn't eat McD's every day (or really ever in my opinion, but if yours differs that's fine) No one should eat any burger with fries and a soda every day, You WILL get fat. Guarantee it.

That's easy for you to say since you're rich. :ph34r:

I'm kidding people, and hopefully MMW won't kill me next time our paths cross.

Edited by OverSword

Just to be clear for those that don't know...

Those posts on the website were from employee's. not McD managment.

you are right there is not much wrong with mcd telling employees not to eat their food to often, however their holiday advice, is dumb, and may be insulting to some. it would be to me, if my employers paid me pennies and told me to return my xmas presents to boost my budget.

Yep! Probably the main reason why they removed the employee help site. p***ed too many people off.

That's easy for you to say since you're rich. :ph34r:

I'm kidding people, and hopefully MMW won't kill me next time our paths cross.

Naw, I'm just gonna tie you to the roof of the car next time I give you a ride home! LOL. Be sure to bring a hat!