Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The walk

markdohle

The walk

What does it mean to walk in Love? Does the Golden Rule play a part in this; is it perhaps a major key in our Christian walk? To know how one wants to be treated I would think takes a certain level of self knowledge that comes after much prayer and reflection.

What does it mean to love ones neighbor as oneself? In the Gospels, in the story of the Good Samaritan, we are called upon to call our enemy, when in need, neighbor, to tend to their wounds and to help them with shelter and food. The hatred and disdain that the Jews and Samaritans had for one another was deep. In fact a Jew at that time, would rather die than be helped by a despised Samaritan and of course for the Samaritan being helped by a Jew would be the same. Yet the love we are called to, compels us to reach out to those who will still hate and despise us after we help them. It is truly grace that gives us the strength and the willingness to do such a thing. Which is actually done from time to time.

I struggle with the above, fail most of the time, yet still struggle to allow God's saving love ever deeper into my heart. Conversion is perhaps a daily experience for many of us, well it is for me.

Edited by markdohle

I believe you hit the nail right on the head. To walk in Love, and following the Golden Rule, is to try and exemplify to the best of our human ability the very teachings of Jesus Christ.

We cannot allow ourselves to forget just how much persecution Jesus endured, just for being who He was and is, our Savior. He endured a constant barrage of verbal and physical abuse, as well as threats on His life, which eventually caught up to Him. Still, through all this, he asked God not to punish those who forsake Him, but to forgive. Jesus knew, and knows just how hard it is to maintain forgiveness and love in our human form. That is why we need to walk WITH HIM, because we cannot match His grace by ourselves.

In the end, as you said, conversion is a daily process. One never stops learning; and if you allow, you will never stop your growth with God either.

I myself am a Born Again Christian and have been for a little over a year now; in that time I am JUST NOW beginning to grasp some basic understanding of just what His grace offers to us all. Just keep your heart open to Him, and in time, the rest will begin to make sense.

God Bless.

I believe you hit the nail right on the head. To walk in Love, and following the Golden Rule, is to try and exemplify to the best of our human ability the very teachings of Jesus Christ.

We cannot allow ourselves to forget just how much persecution Jesus endured, just for being who He was and is, our Savior. He endured a constant barrage of verbal and physical abuse, as well as threats on His life, which eventually caught up to Him. Still, through all this, he asked God not to punish those who forsake Him, but to forgive. Jesus knew, and knows just how hard it is to maintain forgiveness and love in our human form. That is why we need to walk WITH HIM, because we cannot match His grace by ourselves.

In the end, as you said, conversion is a daily process. One never stops learning; and if you allow, you will never stop your growth with God either.

I myself am a Born Again Christian and have been for a little over a year now; in that time I am JUST NOW beginning to grasp some basic understanding of just what His grace offers to us all. Just keep your heart open to Him, and in time, the rest will begin to make sense.

God Bless.

Thank you for your comment, it is truly a good testimony and shows that you have deep insight into the mystery of faith in Jesus Christ.

peace

mark

• Like 1

I think we all know how to do it, Mark, but sometimes choose not to, because it's hard. It requires more of us than hate, hating someone or something is easy, as simple as tearing a tab off a can of soda. Love, however, requires much more of us: forgiveness, patience, self-discipline, self-reflection, responsibility for our actions, subliminating our own egos, sacrifice commitment, all of which take a life time to cultivate. Hating, on the other hand, is so easy any idiot can do it, and often does. And one doesn't ever need to practice in order to get it right. I don't think there's any wisdom, thought, is trading short-term gains (ego satisfaction) for long term goals.

• Like 3

I think we all know how to do it, Mark, but sometimes choose not to, because it's hard. It requires more of us than hate, hating someone or something is easy, as simple as tearing a tab off a can of soda. Love, however, requires much more of us: forgiveness, patience, self-discipline, self-reflection, responsibility for our actions, subliminating our own egos, sacrifice commitment, all of which take a life time to cultivate. Hating, on the other hand, is so easy any idiot can do it, and often does. And one doesn't ever need to practice in order to get it right. I don't think there's any wisdom, thought, is trading short-term gains (ego satisfaction) for long term goals.

Very wise my friend, going to share this on Facebook.

Peace

Mark