Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video Contains Threat of Major Attack on U.S.

twpdyp

Video Contains Threat of Major Attack on U.S.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

WASHINGTON — The CIA is unable to authenticate a videotape that has someone who identifies himself as an American threatening an assault on the United States that would "dwarf" the Sept. 11 (search) attacks.

The tape was handed to the Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency by ABC News two days ago, multiple government sources told FOX News. ABC is said to have received the tape last weekend from a terrorist source in Waziristan, a region in Pakistan near the Afghan border where the Taliban and Al Qaeda (search) are believed to be holed up.

"We cannot verify the authenticity of this tape," one official told FOX News after the preliminary technical analysis presented inconclusive results. One source said one problem with the verification process is that the government has only a copy of the tape, not an original.

The speaker in the video is disguised but speaks "alarmingly" fluent English in an American accent, leading some U.S. officials to believe that the voice belongs to Adam Yahiye Gadahn (search). On the tape, the speaker identifies himself as "Assam the American," a law enforcement source said.

Gadahn, who also goes by the names Adam Pearlman and Abu Suhayb Al-Amriki, is a 25-year-old Southern Californian fingered by the FBI for possible ties to Al Qaeda.

In May, the FBI announced that Gadahn had ties with senior Al Qaeda lieutenant Abu Zubaydah (search) in Pakistan, and that he had attended terrorist training camps in Afghanistan and served as a translator for the terror network.

"Adam Yahiye Gadahn is being sought in connection with possible terrorist threats against the United States," the FBI said in an announcement in May. "Although the FBI has no information indicating this individual is connected to any specific terrorist activities, the FBI would like to locate and question this person. He should be considered armed and dangerous."

"He is known to have performed translations … as part of the services he has provided to Al Qaeda," the FBI said.

Gadahn, whose whereabouts are unknown, is believed to have knowledge of an imminent attack on the United States and is being pursued by federal officials.

But officials said Wednesday that Gadahn is "just one possibility" as the tape's speaker. One factor complicating the identification is that the speaker's face is completely masked.

FOX News' Bret Baier, Ian McCaleb and Anna Persky contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136815,00.html

post-9785-1098915094.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Babs

• Independent1

• vimjams

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really couldnt care less. They always threaten the US... each month... and this guy? I think this guy's a complete joke. Yeah, Al Qaida would be letting a grunt of theirs make a video now... rolleyes.gif

I really couldnt care less. They always threaten the US... each month... and this guy? I think this guy's a complete joke. Yeah, Al Qaida would be letting a grunt of theirs make a video now... rolleyes.gif

328515[/snapback]

The latest report is that the CIA cannot autheniticate it, although that doesn't mean a lot.

There is a lot of suspicion that buried within some of these videos are codes. It could be who the person in the video is, or a key word they say, or how many times they praise Allah. Only Bin Laden knows for sure.. If it is real, lets hope the CIA gets more info and can stop it.

I really couldnt care less. They always threaten the US... each month... and this guy? I think this guy's a complete joke. Yeah, Al Qaida would be letting a grunt of theirs make a video now..

Absolutely...And underlined!

Vimjams

ph34r.gif

I don't know... things have been too quiet. I am worried there might be some action coming up.

Thanks Pakistan...Why can't we get these guys in Pakistan. disgust.gif

If you knew a little about pakistan it would help your understanding of why they are finding it so difficult.

I will tell you if Geroge W. Bush gets re-elected we will not see another terrorist attack for a long time, he is the first pro active president to go after Terrorism in the mass in my life-time. Which is why I will be voting for him, he wont let our country suffer another September 11th attack. He is too prepared for it now.

Bush & Cheney 2004

scissor...tell me a little bit about Pakistan. original.gif I am willing to learn. I know Pakistan was definitely 'not' with us going into this and I worry that Pakistan isn't exactly the most desirable alli in the world, but if you say "We can't just march in there", I'm thinking, we might not be able to have that kind of 'luxory thinking' (some day). I realize that Pakistan wants to handle this and that's where I worry. disgust.gif If we could get into that area, I think this mess will be all over with_ the 'Bin Laden' mess, that is.

method... I agree with you. 'Bush & Cheney' 2004 thumbsup.gif

Yes they were pakistan is one of america's biggest backers in the war on Iraq ?????

American forces are helping in pakistan.

Pakistan is also a Nuclear power you do know that.

"Bush and cheyney '04"

"Death and war, '04"

sounds the same to me.

Actually, bush and kerry are both going to stay in iraq and continue with bush's plans no matter whos elected. they both want the same thing, they just word it differently.

No we cant just pull out. As far as more attacks I am certain they will or have planned some and there is a chance they could be succesful even on a small scale. We can expect something i am certain but we have the best chance to minimize or prevent said attack with Bush in White House! Remember it was a Democrat President (Clinton) that was handed Bin Laden's head on a platter and he turned it down. If Clinton had listened then there could have been NO 911!

No we cant just pull out. As far as more attacks I am certain they will or have planned some and there is a chance they could be succesful even on a small scale. We can expect something i am certain but we have the best chance to minimize or prevent said attack with Bush in White House! Remember it was a Democrat President (Clinton) that was handed Bin Laden's head on a platter and he turned it down. If Clinton had listened then there could have been NO 911!

333233[/snapback]

No, 9-11 would still have happened, even without UBL. Al-Queda is like a hydra, cut off one head, the others continue to attack you.

And Bill Clinton needs some defending here. At that time, he was being impeached for his lie about Monica, and as such could not drum up any support from congress for military action. If you recall, that was when Saddam Hussien became so obnoxious that the inspectors left Iraq, and the only support Bill could get was to bomb Iraq for a few days, That was also when Al Queda bombed 2 of our embassies.

The Republican impeachment of Bill Clinton was the worst thing the Republicans have done in a long time. I am not saying what Bill did was right, but it was not worth the time and money the Republicans invested into their impeachment attempt.

Edited by Independent1

Yep, I do know that. Tell me something I don't know about Pakistan; you seem to be in a 'history lesson' teaching mood today.

I have some current-day questions for you .

"What do you think Pakistan is doing to help the coalition?" ...and can we get into Pakistan and run through that territory the terrorists are supposely holed up in?"

...because I was under the impression that we could just go so far (into that border).

Yep, I do know that. Tell me something I don't know about Pakistan; you seem to be in a 'history lesson' teaching mood today.

I have some current-day questions for you .

"What do you think Pakistan is doing to help the coalition?" ...and can we get into Pakistan and run through that territory the terrorists are supposely holed up in?"

...because I was under the impression that we could just go so far (into that border).

333458[/snapback]

They won't let us go in. Just like we would not want Russia troops to come into California to capture American terrorists who were threatening Moscow.

They are working hard to catch the terrorists, but "It's hard work."

I know Pakistan was definitely 'not' with us going into this and I worry that Pakistan isn't exactly the most desirable alli in the world, but if you say "We can't just march in there"

well you obv didnt know that they were our ally....

Outside of Afghanistan , pakistan have arrested more al queada members than any other country.

They are currently embroiled in what amounts to a small war with al queda sypmathetic tribal leaders in remote regeions of the country.

President Musharef (thats the guy in charge of pakistan BTW) has been xtremeley pro west and is waging all out war on the terrorists, whilst coming under serious fire from people within Islamabad who arent supportive of our "war on terror".

You know this is basic stuff from the news babs.

They also have there own worries not just america's for god sake.

I take it you understand the almighty problem that is kashmir (although i wouldnt be surprised if you hadnt even heard of kashmir), not to mention the fact that he is attempting to instil democracy at the same time.

You do realise how harsh the terrain is on the afghan , pakistan border dont you?? its not as simple as "lets just walk in".

I dont even know why im bothering.

pakistan

Theres one link but just go to the BBC's website and learn s little about pakistan babs , before you make assumptions and comments it is helpful

Please.

read the bit in the article that describes musharef as "indespensible".

I know all of that wun and I certainly do know the terrain is bad...remember Afghanistan and their terrain? rolleyes.gif That's why the U.S. used warlords to search for good ole' Bin.

Musharef was not on our side going into this. We came over and persuaded him. cool.gif Pakistan and Mucharef helped start the Taliban in Afganistan and was definitely sympathetic to the cause. disgust.gif Now Mushaaref has undergone a slight transformation wink2.gif and he is really under serious fire. I have always worried about him_ not trusting him_ but I guess Bush and Cheney made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Now, you see I have asked you some questions and maybe I should have asked Talon, he's big on history_ but you haven't answered them, and you have been uncivil. Perhaps you don't know everything you pretend to know and maybe every time you call Americans 'stupid and uneducated' you should turn around and look in the mirror.

If Pakistan knows it's own country and they are tracking Bin Laden why can't they find him? Why do they not let us help? Something is fishy.

Because they have to keep the fundies happy

334666[/snapback]

Yeah.

Talk about division...Mucharef is really in a bad way. I see he has aged a bit since this whole thing began.

So, you see where I am going with all this. This isn't Bush's fault that we don't have Osama Bin Laden. Everybody talks about it being a big deal and that "Bush hasn't caught Bin Laden", but as I see it, Bush's hands are tied.

Edited by Babs

What the hell are you talking about bas???

How was he not "with us " when all this started?????

DID you read the link i provided???

Oh and using the warlords thing really worked out didnt it becuase osama is right were we want him???

What question did i not answer lol.

The reason i am being uncivil is because as you illustrated there , you arent prepared to learn about what your talking about even though i posted a link that has a wealth of resources.

I illustrated that he is also underpressure from fundamentalists in his own country but not just from fuindantalists, you know disagreeing with a country thats backing america's foreign policy doesnt automatically make you a fundamentalis.

wacko.gif

Musharef was not on our side going into this. We came over and persuaded him.  Pakistan and Mucharef helped start the Taliban in Afganistan and was definitely sympathetic to the cause.

We were bloody sympathetic to the taliban at first to LOL .

AMerican funded the bloody mujihdeen who went on to become the Taliban.

I simply cannot believe what i am reading here lol its actually hurting me.

Edited by wunarmdscissor

So do u admit then babs (seeing as you understand it all) that kashmir is a far more pressing an imprtant problem for Pakistan and the complete Asian Sub-continent , than america's war on terrorism????

I dont recall Babs saying we had 100% support of War I recall her asking for info and admitting she needed more info!

laugh.gif scissor...do you 'like' have problems communicating?