Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where are the closest alien planets ?

UM-Bot

Astronomers believe that there could be an exoplanet orbiting a nearby pair of brown dwarf stars.

Over the last few years scientists have identified hundreds of extrasolar planets orbiting distant solar systems, a feat that until recently would have seemed impossible. But as most of these planets are located great distances away, have we been able to find any that are close enough to the Earth so that we may one day be able to send a spacecraft there to investigate ?

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/259942/where-are-the-closest-alien-planets

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Likely Guy

• toast

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Adirondack-Bob

I believe that the closest planet outside of the solar system is in orbit around Alpha Centauri, a star located four light years away.

I know a lot about space.

I had no idea there were such things as exoplanets before reading it here.

Edited by moonshadow60

I believe that the closest planet outside of the solar system is in orbit around Alpha Centauri, a star located four light years away.

You cheated and read the article. ;)

• Like 1

"One day", is a long ways away.

Is it probable? Is it possible? Sure, one day.

Some are saying alpha centauri might even be inhabited

Some are saying alpha centauri might even be inhabited

How far away is alpha centauri from earth?

Over four light years.

@qxcontinium; some people say a lot of things.

Over four light years.

To put that in context that is 25,277,549,200,000 miles (40,680,272,100,000 km) or about 106 BILLION times further away than the moon.

post-143986-0-02799900-1388317483_thumb.

You can read all here published articles for free.

I never tire of trying to visualize the size of our universe. The size of our solar system is big enough and then the size of our galaxy is enough to give you a migraine. We can't even travel to the edge of it yet. But, try to visualize, or appreciate, the distances between galaxies and it can blow your mind. Talk about feeling insignificant.

I find it mind-boggling when you look at the statistics regarding the amount of planets there are out there, and just in our galaxy!

I find it even more mind boggling when people say that they are all uninhabited and aliens do not exist....I am not talking about visitors coming to Earth in cliche flying saucers etc, I mean they do not exist period! Or they apply conventional wisdom and say that 'oh that planet has a methane atmosphere life cannot exist there', our life maybe, but who elected humans as the race that has knowledge of every single facet of possible evolution?....Christ we can't even make sure that all the people of our planet have health care or even enough to eat so we are really advanced aren't we?

When you look at it from a probability point of view, the chances of life existing on only one planet in the universe are impossible, life existing (in whatever form) on other worlds as well as earth, the probability factor becomes more believable and logical.

We live in one wondrous universe for sure!