Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Le Loyon" suicide note found in Swiss woods

Tilig

Le Loyon, the mysterious figure who dons a cloak and wears a gas mask while walking the same route in a Swiss forest, has left behind his rags and mask, as well as his "death certificate" in the woods.

http://www.lematin.ch/faits-divers/loyon-decide-suicider/story/26871281

The article's in French, but I've tried to translate it via Google Translate. "Le Loyon" states that "the risk of a hunt for a beast became too great" and "the feeling of insecurity grew". Le Loyon blamed the media for ruining his harmlessness, and also explained why he wore a gas mask; "You do not seem to know Sacher-Masoch, you would discover it takes all kinds to make a world," referring to the Austrian writer Leopold von Sacher-Masoch.

I find this quite interesting, but sad. :no: Le Loyon clearly meant no harm, and all the attention just became too much for him/her. If anyone can translate the article properly, it'd be great. The question is, is he/she still alive or did Le Loyon really commit suicide, as the article suggests?

• Like 4

Oh no. :( Poor old soul, I suppose all that crap about the police hunting him down for public safety paid off in the end then. Well done, guardians of public safety.

I suppose it could mean that he's just abandoned that lifestyle and returned to the everyday world, but that would sad too in itself, since he didn't seem to be harming anyone.

For anyone who's not familiar with this person, here's a previous thread -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=254481

More using Google Translate -

"The outfit and the letter of Loyon were found in September, confirmed the Fribourg cantonal police. A copy of his letter was then sent to the trustee. "I decided to publish information to the population. But the communal bulletin appears only twice a year, so we had to wait until December, "he notes."

So it seems this happened in September after the news story of him went viral.

• Like 1

Hey there,

So I did a personal translation of the article. I'm a french speaker so I had to change certain terms to fit in in the translation or else translating word by word in certain parts of the article would make no sense.

For example:

Le Feu = Deceased.

If I had translated Le Feu to English it would mean The Fire but in French, Feu also means a 'late' person aka Deceased.

Le Loyon decided to "commit suicide." This mysterious character who people came across in a regular basis in the forest De Maules, wearing a gas mask on his face and a military cloak has abandoned his old/used garments in the forest. His old/used garments were found accompagnied by what he calls the "The death certificate and will of the Ghost De Maules."

This letter is published in the communal bulletin of Sâles, released last week. Le Loyon accuses "Le Matin" of murdering a "harmless being" by revealing his existence. He writes: "The risk of a hunt for the Beast" became too great (I would change great to 'overwhelming' to express what he wanted to say).. This "obituary" provides commentaries by the trustee of Sâles, Jean-Marc Piguet. Since the media coverage of the strange character, Jean-Marc Piguet wrote that the "feeling of insecurity grew." Could it be that "Le Matin" and not Loyon himself who engenders a feeling of insecurity? "Since the beginning I've regretted that we've spoken about this Loyon who never caused harm to anybody" Replied the trustee. "I have concluded that the media has had two effects (I would say that the Media had accomplished two things if we're to translate what the tustee wanted to say): Deprive a person of his harmless outlet and make others (the locals?) feel unsecure"

This is an idea that others do not share (agree with). "This is rather good news!" A resident says. "It was anything but pleasant to cross path with him, especially with children." The garments and the letter of Loyon were found in September, confirms the Fribourg cantonal police. A copy of his letter was then sent to the trustee. "I decided to publish information to the population, but the communal bulletin appears only twice a year, so we had to wait until December" he notes.

Masochism Reference

But why did the mysterious late Loyon walk around with a gas mask? We might never know, but he left a trail of explanation in his "testament/will". Speaking of a "real therapy of happiness", he says: "You do not seem to know Sacher-Masoch, you would discover that it takes all kinds of people/(things?) to make a world." Austrian writer of the 19th century, Leopold von Sacher-Masoch is the origin of the term "masochism".

Edited by Euryleia
  • Like 2

Sounds like they left the note and went into hiding. I hope so. Poor soul.

• Like 1

Occasionally I'm awoken on the morning by some guy who is screaming in a total rage against the world. It is interesting to see people getting out of his way.

The first time I heard it I was thinking a murder was about to take place. He goes by periodically and it is just part if living in the city.

The police are quite familiar with him and I suspect the mental health system but I can only assume.

This story has me wondering about how this could of happened. It is hard to imagine the small village and mentality.

I recall a small village in Ireland and a guy with his head to the ground near the stream. When I asked about him they said he likes to listen to the fish. Later that night he appeared in the pub and people took turns buying his next drink.

I'm not trying to justify any wrongdoing and it is more about trying to wrap my head around how this all came to be.

If he did kill himself is it really the result of the media attention or the police trying to contact him? It is natural I suspect for people to be afraid of the unknown and for some people to feel more vulnerable.

I like the "village Idiot" that I encountered in Ireland. It was also so wonderful to hear someone say - "he's been touched by the hand of God."

Perhaps I also like to know I live in a supportive community in the event I decide to run screaming down the street and rage at the world.

Thank you once again for the translation.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who's mom is Swiss, looked into it, and translated a few articles.

She said they sound more symbolic, not literal. So she doesn't think they actually killed themself, but moved on somehow.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

A friend of mine who's mom is Swiss, looked into it, and translated a few articles.

She said they sound more symbolic, not literal. So she doesn't think they actually killed themself, but moved on somehow.

This is interesting! I don't recall reading anywhere in the article that they found the body.

Well now, the real problems might start . Since the above mentioned nut case was not allowed to satisfy his mental ill case while inoffensive, his wild desires might come to reality under the cover of anonymity while hiding.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but still sad that he was pressured into conforming.

Well now, the real problems might start . Since the above mentioned nut case was not allowed to satisfy his mental ill case while inoffensive, his wild desires might come to reality under the cover of anonymity while hiding.

Why assume that that's what he wanted? If he was lurking in the woods to lure childrens, like a Grim fairy tale, surely he'd have had ample opportunity to do so.

• Like 1

Thanks for the translation. ;) But anyway, I'm not trying to fuel some people's disrespect for this person, but it was intriguing as to who Le Loyon is and what has become of him/her. So I did some research on Maules and when looking at the Maules forest on Google Maps I discovered something quite interesting; a house in the middle of a large clearing in the woods.

I would upload a picture of it, but this forum won't let me. Just look at the Maules forest on Google Maps and see it for yourself. It is the only house in the forest and is absolutely isolated from the edge of the forest or anywhere else.

I am not trying to cause a "hunt for a beast", but I am extremely interested in who this person is. If he/she really did commit suicide (which may not be the case, due to the symbolic level of that article), then I believe authorities should check that place and lay Le Loyon to rest if he/she is dead, or just make sure he/she is alright. If someone could upload a picture of the location I'd be grateful. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Tilig

Thanks for the translation. ;) But anyway, I'm not trying to fuel some people's disrespect for this person, but it was intriguing as to who Le Loyon is and what has become of him/her. So I did some research on Maules and when looking at the Maules forest on Google Maps I discovered something quite interesting; a house in the middle of a large clearing in the woods.

I would upload a picture of it, but this forum won't let me. Just look at the Maules forest on Google Maps and see it for yourself. It is the only house in the forest and is absolutely isolated from the edge of the forest or anywhere else.

I am not trying to cause a "hunt for a beast", but I am extremely interested in who this person is. If he/she really did commit suicide (which may not be the case, due to the symbolic level of that article), then I believe authorities should check that place and lay Le Loyon to rest if he/she is dead, or just make sure he/she is alright. If someone could upload a picture of the location I'd be grateful. Any thoughts on this?

Hey, just a tiny little tip, ifthe site doesn't allow you to upload a picture, just go to www.tinypic.com and upload it there then copy the link and post it here :D I'm curious to see that too.

Edit: Also I've read that he lived in these woods for 10 years wearing the same outfit

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417685/Police-hunt-mysterious-figure-walked-Swiss-woods-day-wearing-gas-mask-boiler-suit-cloak-TEN-YEARS.html

Edited by Euryleia

Ok, from another angle perhaps?

This is just a hoax and it wasn't a single person who participated.

Go to the same Forrest and bring along a gas mask. When you see someone walking out on the mask and then disappear. It avoid further unwanted exposure you could get rid of the mask. By doing so you could simply say; "I didn't see anyone."

Perhaps it is a group of H.P. Lovecraft fans who are only toying with the villagers?

I strongly doubt a human could live 10 years in the same place and not leave behind a trail. With the technology that is available to the general public it wouldn't be difficult to locate him if an individual.

With the technology available to the authorities I suspect being able to hide is no longer an option.

"You can run but you can't hide."

Thanks for the tinypic advice, I know little about this site. ;) Right, well here's the location;

http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UsCjs_bslnc

Also, here's the Fribourg communal bulletin which contains the full Le Loyon "suicide note". If anyone can translate it then that'd be wonderful. If it's too much trouble then don't worry.

http://files.newsnet...//3/1/31752.pdf

Edited by Tilig

Oh wow that letter is so full of meanings.

I just finished reading it. He wrote his letter in a 'poetic' way so I will translate it but it will be hard for me to replace his personal french sayings to english but I'll do so and try to use a saying similiar to the ones he used. I'll translate it sometime tonight.

• Like 1

Oh wow that letter is so full of meanings.

I just finished reading it. He wrote his letter in a 'poetic' way so I will translate it but it will be hard for me to replace his personal french sayings to english but I'll do so and try to use a saying similiar to the ones he used. I'll translate it sometime tonight.

Thank you very much. :clap:

Edited by Tilig

• 8 months later...

Ok, from another angle perhaps?

This is just a hoax and it wasn't a single person who participated.

Go to the same Forrest and bring along a gas mask. When you see someone walking out on the mask and then disappear. It avoid further unwanted exposure you could get rid of the mask. By doing so you could simply say; "I didn't see anyone."

Perhaps it is a group of H.P. Lovecraft fans who are only toying with the villagers?

I strongly doubt a human could live 10 years in the same place and not leave behind a trail. With the technology that is available to the general public it wouldn't be difficult to locate him if an individual.

With the technology available to the authorities I suspect being able to hide is no longer an option.

"You can run but you can't hide."

This is a possibility that more than one person participated but, I noticed how you said that nobody can live in the same spot for ten years. Truth be told you can. The reason behind that is, if it is one or up to maybe 4 or 5 people, then resources are plentiful, and if it is more than one person, then we could have one person run to the store, while the others wear the equipment. I am not trying to be disagreeingly difficult, but I am just thinking out of my logic.

Wouldn't necessarily need to have other people invovled. One person could do the job nicely. Was wondering if perhaps he had once been in the military from the getup. The gas mask puzzles me,unless he has some sort of facial deformity due to either a diease or war wounds.

Whoever he is, and I assume he's still around, he must have some place that he eats and sleeps at. I saw the house in the forest photo.That might be his location or not.

I would assume even if he lived in the woods, there maybe a few things that he wants and might purchase.

He obviously came from somewhere,has parents and relatives some place. Sounds almost like another Kaspar Hauszer (not sure spelling last name right).