Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seeing images of people when eyes closed

AnotherLevel

I'm going to skip the "Im new to the forum and I've searched everywhere online for similar stories" speech and get right to it.

Im 25 and I drink pretty heavily (love to party). Well ever since I started drinking a couple years ago, I have noticed that when I'm laying in bed with my eyes closed (or eyes open in pitch dark room) I am seeing images of random people. This only happens when im a bit hungover. They are never people I've seen before, just completely random people, young and old. They all glance at me, some smile and seem cool but others are kind of like a creeper glance. They are so detailed and I can sit there and explain what the people are wearing and what they look like as its happening. They glance at me and a second later the setting shifts and there is another rando that turns and looks at me. Its weird that it happens when my eyes are open and I'm in a pitch dark room too.

(At this point I should reiterate that I've looked everywhere online but have only come across a couple poorly-told stories)

What is this all about? Who are these b*******?

• Like 2

I'm going to skip the "Im new to the forum and I've searched everywhere online for similar stories" speech and get right to it.

Im 25 and I drink pretty heavily (love to party). Well ever since I started drinking a couple years ago, I have noticed that when I'm laying in bed with my eyes closed (or eyes open in pitch dark room) I am seeing images of random people. This only happens when im a bit hungover. They are never people I've seen before, just completely random people, young and old. They all glance at me, some smile and seem cool but others are kind of like a creeper glance. They are so detailed and I can sit there and explain what the people are wearing and what they look like as its happening. They glance at me and a second later the setting shifts and there is another rando that turns and looks at me. Its weird that it happens when my eyes are open and I'm in a pitch dark room too.

(At this point I should reiterate that I've looked everywhere online but have only come across a couple poorly-told stories)

it happened to me a lot when I was a kid. Lots and lots of faces appearing before me. it happens on occasional cases before going to sleep a well. Last night I had it with grey alien faces. I have no particular interest in aliens. Probably because I am into this forum for sometime now. they are all fragments of my imagination and mood.

• Like 1

I tend to see this too - when I am going thru an emotional upheaval, it is a little disconcerting but I think my imagination just becomes overworked and a little unhinged when I am emotionally disturbed.

• Like 2

Yeah I get something similar to what you describe, usually when I am dog tired. Peoples faces in amazing detail, though complete strangers to me also. Ive had it happen for years, though Im sorry Ive no idea what its about, or what it means...

• Like 1

Hi Anotherlevel. Nice to meet you. I want to say firstly that life and the living thereof is an experimental journey, that at your age I too drank alot, now I have journy'd a bit farther up the road, I look back and wish I had the wisdom I now have, that life can be so much more, so much better without alcohol and drugs. Still, I know it falls on deaf ears, that is if your ears are like many at your age, including my own at 25yrs. I have to say it though, put away the bottle and strive for a better, fuller, richer life.

On the topic in question. I have often wondered if others experienced this weird thing; but with me, I close my eyes and kind of, wait and then, people's faces come to view, intricate like you say, in detail.Who or what they are is a mystery. Mysteries are forever just that, unless you have a way of discovery, I can't think how anyone could find out the reason. I imagine, that maybe they are just faces of people you pass in life, but why you recall them is a bafflement. One's "sub-concious" is a mystery too. When I was young, this explanation would have driven me crazy as know doubt it might you!! All I can say is, isn't it amazing how complex the human-being is!!

• Like 1

Hello AnotherLevel.

Welcome to the forum.

Basically it's a pre-dream state kind of like extreme deep relaxation where the body is asleep or close to it and the mind is awake. Images, sounds, other sensations are reported during this. I often will tell my partner what I see when in this state and think that it's cool. who the people are may be related to someone you saw at sometime but didn't pay attention to or they may be images that the brain manufactures to problem solve. Read the article and see that artist to scientist have used the information gleaned from this state to aid their work.

Perhaps if you pay attention to the imagery it will make sense to you and seem less random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Mabon.

• Like 5

I too experience this sober and more strongly when I'm more light sensitive like stoned or hung over. I have for years.

This happened to me alot when I was younger and I do believe I have came up with a solution. I think that the faces we see in a dark room in detail or while our eyes are closed is your memory playing back people you may have seen but have not made a connection with. Its kinda like our mind freeing up space for new peoples faces. The subconscious picks up alot of thing that we dont realise. For instance Commercial depict hidden imagines and messages that make us desire something that we see more.

Yep, IMO you are experiencing what Mabon said, hypnagogia.

What's odd though is that you are achieving this with alcohol..

I GET THIS SOMETIMES I MAY BE JUST DRIFTING OFF TO SLEEP ,OR SITTING WATCHING TV

AND A FACE MAY APPEAR IN FRONT OF ME ONE WEIRD EXPERIENCE I SAW MYSELF IN FRONT OF MY FACE

I DONT DRINK ALCOHOL OR TAKE DRUGS OF ANY KIND :alien:

Hate to say it, but this happened to me anytime I've ever shroomed. It would weird me out, but all in all, I think it gave me some evidence of a universal consciousness.

This used to happen to me when I was massively hung over/drug come down, especially after clubbing. I often had 2-3 day massive sessions and on the final day would be utterly exhausted, when I would finally go to bed I would get a very rapid succession of faces. Seemed like hundreds of random faces flashing across my vision even though I was awake and had my eyes closed. I didn't know it happened to anyone else! My thought at the time was that I had seen all of those people over the previous 2-3 days and my mind was too intoxicated to process all the information so it just stored it all until it had a chance to sort through it all. I was often at those times also plagued by night terrors and sleep paralysis, especially if sleeping on my back. My advice would be to curb the partying a bit. Your poor brain needs a rest.

_EDIT_

Just wanted to add I could also hear very intricate music like a chorus of angels singing when I was in the shower on a morning as well.

Edited by bulveye

I've never seen people with my eyes closed but I believe I've seen people walk passed me out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes I believe it's my imagination taking place and than another part of me believes that I have some sort of gift that I have ability to see things if my mind choses to see it. Sometimes I believe we block it out cause were too scared to open up our minds. There's lots of skeptic people out there and you have to see it from different points of view. Never had this experience but thanks for sharing you're experience with this. Hope you end up finding out what it is and try to find a meaning to it. Wish you all the best! :)

I TOO HAVE SEEN PEOPLE FROM THE CORNER OF MY EYE ,

THIS IS HOW SPIRITS ARE SEEN MOST TIMES,

I HAVE ALSO SEEN LITTLE PEOPLE .

:alien::sk

ANOTHER THING I HAVE SEEN IS SHADOW PEOPLE VERY SPOOKY

I TOO HAVE SEEN PEOPLE FROM THE CORNER OF MY EYE ,

THIS IS HOW SPIRITS ARE SEEN MOST TIMES,

I HAVE ALSO SEEN LITTLE PEOPLE .

:alien::sk

ANOTHER THING I HAVE SEEN IS SHADOW PEOPLE VERY SPOOKY

Can you give more detail on their discription, time and date what had happen that had lead to these events?

well that i can not remember but this has happened at different times in my life.

​last summer while out walking in an old orchard in newton abbot Devon england ,by the duel carriageway both my husband and i saw a elf .

he was dressed in green he walked with us a little way then turned back.some times if i am just sitting quietly on the sofa or chair with the tv on i might close my eyes and see images of people or some times things

​there are many things beyond :mellow::wub: our understanding :sk

Edited by LPT

This used to happen to me too,the only difference is i used to see some sick stuff also people and faces.it has something to do with the alcohol.

Try not to stress to much.

Mine is the same everytime, silhouettes of people walking on a busy street. I just think of it as my brains screensaver or it I am open to it seeing another dimension. Still go with the first though..lol.

Your brain dumping the images, bit like an overloaded computer.

Happens me all the time. I've never been a good sleeper and have worked a lot of shiftwork and thus find myself at all hours trying to sleep and lying there with my eyes closed. The result is some very vivid hallucinations spontaneously appearing before me. I do and have experienced the full gamut of night-time weird that happens when trying to sleep or just before or after being asleep - sleep paralysis, hypnopompic hallucinations, hypnagogic hallucinations, lucid dreams, etc.

When I experience what you're describing, it happens to me in 2 different forms:

1: Psychedelic shapes and patterns in various colours. Shifting, changing, morphing, etc. Quite beautiful and enjoyable.

2: Faces and recognisable objects. Animals, smiling faces, laughing faces, creepy faces, strange creatures that don't exist in real life, etc. Can be pleasant or a bit creepy depending on what manifests.

It happens to me I think because of a history of insomnia and strange sleeping patterns. I can imagine that too much alcohol might be disturbing your typical sleep patterns such that the same thing is happening to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_cinema

Edited by JesseCuster

i think you see dead ppl , when you close your eyes , and about the ppl you recognize i don't know o_O .. but i can shut it down . like a switch on/off :D

• Like 1

is it not what the ancient cultures used to do while taking drugs or smoking some form of drug..didnt they do so purely to have these kinds of visions and more ?

so alcohol or drugs would do this now i suppose..me as a spiritual person when relaxed and after alcohol i find it easier to achieve seeing spirit ..i find it opens my senses up x

Edited by Feebs

When I close my eyes, all I see are stars....and I drink on occasion. I don't know what it is you're going through.