Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Flashes of Light - Indoors?

GreenieVegan

Hi there!

I was in the process of trying to figure out what my husband an I experienced over the weekend when I came across this forum.. maybe someone can help me with this.

My husband and I stayed in a mid-sized hotel in a small(ish) California town this past Friday and Saturday night. On Friday, I woke up several times and noticed several flashes of light coming from.. I'm not really sure where? The flashes were happening in the center of the room near the closet. They were inconsistent - some brighter and bigger and some less bright and smaller. There was no rhythm, they seemed random. It was similar the the flash of a camera.

I was also unable to sleep well that night and awoke to what felt like someone pushing or walking on the end of the bed by my feet. We have a small dog and at first I (in my sleepy stupor) thought it was him. Then I remembered that he wasn't with us. I figured it must have been my husband moving around but now that I really think about it, that doesn't make much sense either.

On Saturday night, I woke up to the flashes again. I woke my husband to ask what they were and he said it was just the fire alarm. Again, they were inconsistent and I had a really tough time sleeping. I felt really anxious.

The next morning, I looked around for a fire alarm and found it, but the only flashing light would have come from a very small green bulb. When I asked my husband, he realized that we weren't talking about the same thing...

He then told me that he'd seen the camera life flashes both nights as well! We looked all over the room and couldn't find an explanation. The windows were closed both nights with the blackout shades completely drawn.

I'm not much of a paranormal believer (but I'm open to it too). Did we have a visitor??

My first thought was a lack of oxygen. But you would tend to see the sparks everywhere.

Hank

The only paranormal even I have personally witnessed was having two white glowing balls float silently through our living room on two consecutive nights. I believe it was ball lightning. Could be a similar phenomena.

I am always seeing flashing lights but then I get migraines. Usually I see pretty little round baubles of blue light in my peripheral vision.

First of all, a big welcome to UM :)

The flashes sound strange. If it isn't a technical fault, then it was likely something unknown. Have you checked out the history of the hotel you stayed in?

Same thing happened to my dad several years ago.He lived way out in the country. It was summer and he was sitting on the front porch. All of a sudden, bright orbs came out of the woods and started dancing around his yard. They then started shooting from one end of his large yard to the other. They finally just slowly disappeard in the woods. He lived rather close to an native american indian burial ground. He didnt get anxious though, just a little freaked out. That was one times yrs ago and nothing since then! I agree with poster to check out history. That would really interest me!

I remember waking up in the middle of the night once and seeing a flashing light in the bedroom. It turned out to be coming off the phone which was sitting in its charger on my desk. It flashed about half a dozen times and then stopped. My heart missed a few beats until I realised what the flashing was!

• Like 1

My shower pull chord has a light at the base,as you pull it the red light comes on,finish shower and switch off,but when I check the red light is on again.I had it checked with my electrician son who said no fault was found.This kept happening until I got sick of it and bought a new one different make different model,son fitted it, all ok until today when its switched itself on again,I switched it off and checked an hour or so later and its on again.Just to finish off my 3rd bedroom is always freezing cold even with the heating on,with a strong smell of pipe tobacco,although my wife and I don't smoke.......Any theories anyone,without making silly comments please,

..............He then told me that he'd seen the camera life flashes both nights as well! We looked all over the room and couldn't find an explanation. The windows were closed both nights with the blackout shades completely drawn.

I'm not much of a paranormal believer (but I'm open to it too). Did we have a visitor??.........................

Hey there, welcome to UM! First and foremost, I would definately put this event in the personal "Unexplained, more than likely NOT paranormal." The reason being, you were in a hotel correct? And I'm guessing this isn't a hotel that you stay at frequent enough to gain the knowledge of the oddities of the building. "Oddities" meaning the creaks, sounds, groans, pipes flushing, electrical noises, etc etc that ALL buildings have. We know these environmental "oddities" in our own homes and places that we spend mass amounts of time in and can quickly deduce what "normal" and what's not.

Being you were in a new environment it is VERY hard to tell what actually is going on there as you don't know these "oddities" of the building itself. Also, another explanation for what these lights could have been are a faulty Fire Alarm. In commercial and income-residential properties they are required to have a visual and audio smoke alarm in every room. This alarm could have been malfunctioning that the light would flash a few times. They are very bright, and designed to wake people from a sleep. This is for the hearing impaired individuals whom would not hear the audible alarm. You said it seemed to come from the same area as the smoke alarm. I would place my money on this explanation to be honest.

However, as I said, it would be prudent to simply chalk this personal event in to the "Unexplained event that happened in an environment of which I wasn't accustomed too."

Cheers! And again, welcome to UM! :tu:

I remember waking up in the middle of the night once and seeing a flashing light in the bedroom. It turned out to be coming off the phone which was sitting in its charger on my desk. It flashed about half a dozen times and then stopped. My heart missed a few beats until I realised what the flashing was!

WHAT?! Do my eyes beseech :w00t: me?! Still Waters actually was frightened?! Well, I've now lost ALL hope for humanity as you, Stills, are my epitome of strength and courage! I kid I kid! I bet that gave you a fright! :tsu:

• 2 years later...

Hi I see this happened a while ago but I had almost the exact same experience I Chicago recently. Anyone out there? I have been telling people about this and they look at my like I am nuts.

Just to clarify - my experience was identical. There was flashing coming from near the closet. There seemed to be someone in the room. I could not move. The flashes were inconsistent. I actually googled what I thought I saw the next day and saw the item for sale at an electronics shop specializing in a variety of things including surveillance equipment.

• 10 months later...

Okay I'm staying in a hotel in California and the same exact thing with the fire alarm/ smoke alarm is happening a white light comes from the small green bulb. Also my sister was in her room and the door knob was twisting and she went out to the living room no one was there also when she was in the living room the blackout shades closed by them selves. Today we looked at the door and there's scratch marks at the bottom (we have no pets)

Photography and video evidence will work wonders around here. Makes you able to back up your story. 

Sounds like someone was already doing some photography .

Image result for spy hole through wall

• Like 1

Well this is kind of on the same topic.A few years ago I was combing my hair in the mirror and I saw a bright flash right next to my head and at the same time I heard a very loud crack.I ducked and after I figured out I hadn't been shot, I could smell a strong scent of what seemed to be sulfur. About a year later I was driving when it happened again. Same sound, I caught the flash in my rear view mirror, then the sulfur smell. The third time there were no mirrors or anything near me but, same sound, same smell. I've tried to get answers about it but I have not even found anyone who had a similar experience. One person said it could be an anuerism. That might explain the flash but not the crack sound, certainly not the sulfur smell.