Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is modern ufology dead?

outoftheworld

Yeh we hear the stories about `lights over lake eeerie` blah blah, but nothing seems to eventful ever happen in the ufo community.

All we have are channelers going on about love and light.

And all the supposed `good cases` are from decades or half a century ago, and they are mostly testimonies or second hand hear say..

I think this is why when i first got into ufology about 8 years ago, i contacted some local ufo groups who told me they had shut down due to lack of participation, i could not understand why.

And now i know why, it isnt so much as a lack of attention span, its a fact that there really is nothing.. and either aliens are smart and cover up and cloak everything...

or people have lied about what they saw, there is only two explanations.

Back a few years ago, even if they turned out to be terrestrial occurances, there were stil incidents like the norway spiral, or the supposed ufo over airports that caused disturbances.. but nowadays there is nothing.. its as if the 2012 doomsday hoax has killed off any interest in aliens/ ufos, ive even noticed theres a severe reduction in even fake cgi videos made.. people just do not care anymore.

Maybe its the fact that with science and all the top people saying that statistically there has to be life out there now, that it just isnt a big deal the thought of aliens anymore.. so less people trying to hoax the public, and less things to look at..

Either way, i am very disenchanted with ufology

Edited by outoftheworld

ps i accidently made a double thread on this, so please delete the other one

Not trying to derail but I have to ask - why did you choose Jeff Chandler as an avatar? He was a B movie god back in the 50s and 60s...

does `b` movie mean second rate movie?

because most of his movies were actually high ranking ones like away all boats and broken arrow -- they were top box office hits

despite his natural grey hair he was still fairly young, its a shame he died so young.. and he is probably the only caucasian actor to sucessfully pull off a convincing native american chief in cochise.....

also there was a certain charisma, a presence about him that no one else has had.....

anyway, thats why i love this picture.

plus if you read my introduction thread, i dont really like society or humanity very much..

did you know how badly they screwed over cochise?

he came under a white flag and they HUNG HIS TWO BROTHERS IN FRONT OF HIM..

and these are the american forefathers who america is built on!

Edited by outoftheworld
  • Like 1

Modern Ufology? Ufology is as modern as modern gets. It's a newer phenom. Unless you ask a fringe, then of course Modern Ufology would be fitting.

• Like 1

I think we've learned all we are going to about UFOlogy. There will never be any surprises. There will never be 100% agreement. Only decades of arguing.

• Like 2

Welcome to UM Outoftheworld!

Modern Ufology? Ufology is as modern as modern gets. It's a newer phenom. Unless you ask a fringe, then of course Modern Ufology would be fitting.

Well, you could argue that UFOlogy is old, as man has always looked to the sky and sought explanations for that he did not recognize. UFOlogy as we know it, however, seeking to extract funds by means of writing questionable books etc is indeed new.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 4

Well, you could argue that UFOlogy is old, as man has always looked to the sky and sought explanations for that he did not recognize. UFOlogy as we know it, however, seeking to extract funds by means of writing questionable books etc is indeed new.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I think you said it all in the last line :0 Anyone who has an experience or knows of a weird case that is one of the unexplained and try to research what someone else has found out about it, forget it! Lying wackos, wild theories and maybe one sentence of truth about the whole event... just there making a buck off of someone else. I bought 3 books in my whole life on the subject that I thought were about the cases involved but they really weren't! Garbage! Fabricating on other people's experiences to make them out as ignorant person, gullible or as insane as the author if he really believes what he's writing. I can't believe the stuff they can sell as non ficton. Of course this happens in non UFO unexplained phenomenon as well, it's sad.

• Like 1

UFOlogists themselves killed it, not knowing the consequence.

Or, probably they didn't really care. They certainly know that they can speculate at best, and they were only interested in short-term profits.

• Like 1

I am not under the impression that the field ufology is lacking cases to document and that 'nothing' is going on in these organisation. MUFON and NICAP for instances seems in pretty good shape.

Also, this website: http://www.openminds.tv/ is aplenty with UFO sightings news.

Of course, some local groups, that have not the organisation nor the means to pursuie their activities will shut their doors. There is nothing new in that regard and it's not bound to ufology in particular. It required founding through membership, times and a structure to maintain it.

No I think that Aliens and extraterrestrial civilizations is a subject that we have certainly not finish to discuss. As our specie make technological progress and that scientists discovered new worlds every week, our cosmos seems bigger than ever and full of potential. All this is fertile ground for UFO sightings.. legitimate or not.

You seem to me rather kind of disappointed of our current understanding and situation of these phenomenon. I can't agree more with you. But I do not think at this point that we should expect a flying saucer to land on the lawn of the White House or that Archeologists dig up a 3000 years old spacecraft in Egypt. It seems to me that if Aliens really visit us and if we lend a ertain credibility to claims of sightings, abductions and close-encounter, which is no certainty, that's not the way we should expect them to operate.

UFOlogists themselves killed it, not knowing the consequence.

Or, probably they didn't really care. They certainly know that they can speculate at best, and they were only interested in short-term profits.

Ufology is a field in which all kind of people can voice their opinion and (often controversial) ideas. So obviously the field has not the rigidity of a science nor do all ufologists have the expertise required.

But in all fairness there are people, serious and dedicated to this cause, with interesting background that have contributed to it. Building a solid documention, a database which could be later viewed by mainstream science if need be is where reside the relevance of ufology. Because as it stands today, ufologists are the ones interested to pursuie the research of this phenomenon and think it's worth to shed light on it. Unfortunately in a field open to fantatism, frauds and deceits , this is not always done objectively and rigorously.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

@ sam -- ufology is in good shape?

99 per cent of it is witness reports...

or pictures of `orb over the niagra falls`...

in terms of hard or convincing visual evidence.. there is NOTHING

zero.. zilch...

and im sorry, you can talk all you want about `reports on mufon` but it doesnt mean jack

I am pretty sure US government pretty consistent with UFO things like other government affairs. They are, overall, pretty damn uninformed and incompetent.

@ sam -- ufology is in good shape?

99 per cent of it is witness reports...

or pictures of `orb over the niagra falls`...

in terms of hard or convincing visual evidence.. there is NOTHING

zero.. zilch...

and im sorry, you can talk all you want about `reports on mufon` but it doesnt mean jack

Sorry but I said that certain organisations in ufology such as MUFON and NICAP (and others in Canada and Europe) are in good and shapes. Ufology in itself as a field of research is in the same state that it's ever been.

The phenomenon consist of sightings and experiences by human beings it has always been that way. No pieces of flying saucers or ET bodies has ever been confirmed by the mainstream scientific communauty and political elites to exist on Earth.

In my own view, if a scientifically and technologically advanced civilization would be visiting or monitoring Earth without wanting beings of our planet to know, as not to disturb our developement as a specy, they could avoid been discovered as long as needed. Why should an Alien civilization act and think as we do? That's a nonsens. Also, who knows if these beings would be from this world or reality altogether? Without more evidence, we probably won't discover it in our lifetime. I do think though that there is a legitimate process behind the phenomenon. But that's my own interpretation.

Edited by sam_comm

Yeh we hear the stories about `lights over lake eeerie` blah blah, but nothing seems to eventful ever happen in the ufo community.

All we have are channelers going on about love and light.

And all the supposed `good cases` are from decades or half a century ago, and they are mostly testimonies or second hand hear say..

I think this is why when i first got into ufology about 8 years ago, i contacted some local ufo groups who told me they had shut down due to lack of participation, i could not understand why.

And now i know why, it isnt so much as a lack of attention span, its a fact that there really is nothing.. and either aliens are smart and cover up and cloak everything...

or people have lied about what they saw, there is only two explanations.

Back a few years ago, even if they turned out to be terrestrial occurances, there were stil incidents like the norway spiral, or the supposed ufo over airports that caused disturbances.. but nowadays there is nothing.. its as if the 2012 doomsday hoax has killed off any interest in aliens/ ufos, ive even noticed theres a severe reduction in even fake cgi videos made.. people just do not care anymore.

Maybe its the fact that with science and all the top people saying that statistically there has to be life out there now, that it just isnt a big deal the thought of aliens anymore.. so less people trying to hoax the public, and less things to look at..

Either way, i am very disenchanted with ufology

It's a good point you make.

Here's my short take on this.

The classic cases that literally thrill me all occurred in the decades 40's to 70's.

Those cases I keep quoting such as Jesse Roestenburg (50's), Mrs Bowles and Mr Pratt (70's), along with Stephen Michalak (60's), Edwin Fuhr (70's), Delphos Kansas (70's) etc are all now ancient history.

In more recent times we have had the Phoenix Light and the Hudson Valley sightings I agree. My point is that the quality sightings don't seem to be occurring as they once used to. Why is that? Could it because man is no longer exploding nuclear weapons all over the planet? Is it because the threat of nuclear war has receded? Could it be that the UFO's realise that man's ability to track and intercept them has improved and they need to keep more of a sense of stealth?

All we seem to be left with now are tiny lights in the sky and the odd triangular UFO usually seen at some great distance and so there is always a large element of ambiguity involved. Couple that with the desperation of people to continue seeing them and hearing about them (as they once did in the 70's and prior), and the increasing technological ability of the hoaxers to satisfy that need and you have what is unarguably a deteriorating situation.

The golden age of Ufology has indeed passed. All we can count on now to keep interest in the phenomena alive is disclosure.

• Like 3

It will never be dead until we figure out what we're seeing around us.

That's why the main goal of modern UFOlogy is to never figure out what we're seeing around us. Always leave cases open and never come to any conclusion so the stories can be told over and over again to paying audiences.

Old UFOlogy actually closed cases with probable explanations. That's was not profitable.

• Like 1

That's why the main goal of modern UFOlogy is to never figure out what we're seeing around us. Always leave cases open and never come to any conclusion so the stories can be told over and over again to paying audiences.

Old UFOlogy actually closed cases with probable explanations. That's was not profitable.

Difficult to know what else to think. When most of the really quality cases are already 40 years old. Then add to that the cover ups and misinformation that has been thrown our way.

Then the hoaxes, etc.

• Like 1

Difficult to know what else to think. When most of the really quality cases are already 40 years old.

Mine's only twelve years old.

• Like 2

Mine's only twelve years old.

Don't get me wrong SP I'm not saying that there have been no quality incidents in the last couple of decades.

It's just that looking at the trace of history it seems as if the 50's - 70's was UFO's hey day.

That could however be a biased view.

The human race has a tendency to get bored with things; the crop circle phenomena was a very good example particularly where media coverage was concerned.

So it could well be just indifference that has made the difference. Who knows?

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong SP I'm not saying that there have been no quality incidents in the last couple of decades.

It's just that looking at the trace of history it seems as if the 50's - 70's was UFO's hey day.

Back then, I just think a lot more people bothered to report them, when we were trusting of our government and the authorities. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to about their own sightings and not one reported theirs to anyone.

• Like 2

Back then, I just think a lot more people bothered to report them, when we were trusting of our government and the authorities. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to about their own sightings and not one reported theirs to anyone.

Thats why most pilot sightings go unreported most likely, because of the possible ridicule they potentially face if they do come forward. I would like to think this is changing however, given that there have been so many astronauts, and of course shuttle missions, and even before that have seen things they cannot explain,
  • Like 1

Difficult to know what else to think.

Your closed mind is your greatest handicap.

When most of the really quality cases are already 40 years old.

Yes back before we had the investigative tools to properly study them and the media approached every case without skepticism. Now the media is much better educated after being humiliated repeatedly by Ed Walters, Ray Santilli and countless other hoaxers. We have seen that all the recent cases are either hoaxes or worthless stories. That's why the true believers always fall back on the legends.

Then add to that the cover ups and misinformation that has been thrown our way.

Yes, the misinformation spread by UFO profiteers who are making thick stacks by retelling UFOlogy's legends and ignoring the recent cases as soon as they have been shown to be hoaxes and unsupported stories.

The media and public is tired of all this. It was fun back in the 70's when we were convinced that UFO's were real and investigators like Jacques Vallée at least seemed genuine if not particularly competent. Forty damn years later we're still hearing the same old legends told by slimy guys like Bill Birnes who don't even qualify as investigators.

No one takes them seriously any more. Why should they?

Then the hoaxes, etc.

Those too.

• Like 1

Now the media is much better educated after being humiliated repeatedly by Ed Walters, Ray Santilli and countless other hoaxers. We have seen that all the recent cases are either hoaxes or worthless stories.

All of them?

Remember all generalisations are wrong.

A better educated media? I seriously doubt it. Indifferent yes. Only willing to report the most thrilling story of the day? Yes.

The media's interest lies in shock factor. It always was that way. UFO's have lost their shock factor. Just like crop circles, cattle mutilation and just about everything else.

• Like 1