Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman 'fighting for life' after being gored

Still Waters

A Cambridge University academic has suffered life-threatening injuries after being gored by a giant stag during a holiday in the Scottish Highlands.

Kate Stone was standing with a group of friends outside the home of a local musician at Lochailort, near Fort William, when the large animal appeared suddenly out of the darkness.

http://www.telegraph...giant-stag.html

What a horrible thing to happen. I'm always a bit wary when walking through woodland of what else might be in there and what would I do. She was extremely unfortunate what happened to her though. I hope she'll be alright, she doesn't sound very good.

• Like 1

I would have thought a Stag would be more inclined to stay in the shadows till something like a group of humans passed, this aggression seems so random.

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for stags to attack humans, especially at this time of year. A deer farmer in Wales was killed by a stag from his herd in October.

For reference....just in case any UM'er will be going near deer shortly...Here's an extract from the blog of a pal of mine, Bob Ward, who used to be the deer keeper on Lord Massingham's estate in Bedfordshire......

1. ALWAYS carry out a risk assessment prior to handling any live deer.
  2. AVOID entering an enclosure, paddock or field containing a rutting stag unless you are in a vehicle for protection.
  3. If you NEED to enter such enclosures, then ALWAYS keep a close eye on where the stag is, watching what he’s doing and NEVER be further away from a fence you can climb in less time than it takes for a running stag to reach you.
  4. Watch for the warning signs of stag aggression, these are:
  5. The stag roaring whilst pacing around you.
  6. The stag grinding his teeth and sometimes his tongue protruding from the side of his mouth.
  7. The sub-orbital scent glands open, and the eyes rolling.
  8. The stag parallel walking you. In this case, any sudden movement made by you will normally cause an immediate head-down attack.
  9. NEVER become complacent with ANY stags. Spikers can be equally as dangerous as a mature stag, especially in handling systems.
  10. ALWAYS use an effective shield, and some form of protective helmet when handling stags in enclosed systems.
  11. ENSURE that you wear suitable clothing or protective gear to protect your lower body, stomach and groin areas. Chainsaw trousers/bib & braces designs can prevent stags antlers from penetrating.
  12. NEVER work in a system that does not provide you with adequate protection form frightened or aggressive animals.
  13. NEVER work alone whilst handling stags, whether you think they are dangerous or not.
  14. NEVER take chances with stags.

I prefer a less complicated plan of action.......If you can see the stag and there's no fence between you and him....run like buggery!

• Like 4

I wonder why they felt the need to report she is transgendered.

It is a really awful thing that happened and I hope she recovers well!

• Like 1

Latest -

A Cambridge University academic who suffered life-threatening injuries when she was gored by a stag this afternoon underwent an operation to try to repair damage to her windpipe.

Doctors have decided to keep Kate Stone, 44, in an induced coma for the next week to prevent the wound from rupturing. She remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

http://www.telegraph...tag-attack.html

Very sad.

Its behavior makes sense as the group of people were coming into an enclosed area where the only way out for the stag was where they were entering.

And I agree, her gender change has nothing to do with the story.

• 3 months later...

Another update -

A woman whose throat was gored by a stag in the Highlands has spoken of the "simple joy" of eating solid food for the fist time in almost four months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eshire-27143087

I'm glad she's done so well.