Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Families put Obamacare to the real test

Gunn

Just the latest info about it.

They all say they’re relieved and excited to finally have new access to health care, and they hope that the rocky rollout of the exchanges under the Affordable Care Act will actually give way to the smooth delivery of vital medical services.

http://www.nbcnews.c...cid=msnhp&pos=1

Alrighty then, let the eventual mud slinging debates began! Cause we all know it's gonna go that way. :P

Two professionals in their 30s, with 3 young children BOTH quite their jobs and have to rely on COBRA coverage - yeah, that's a brilliant move.

Sorry, but no amount of white washing from NBC is going to make this thing not stink. And, frankly, all of these folks profiled in the article are saying nothing more than "well, it's been a disaster up until now, but we have faith that they'll get it all worked out". A tremendous vote of confidence.

Here's an article that has a bit of a different take on the whole situation:

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/31/pay-up-obamacares-much-debated-mandate-makes-a-qui/

Oh and then there's the little matter about the contraceptive mandate that was just delayed by Justice Sotameyer.

• Like 2

My cousin owns a small shop he is screwed.he has to cut hours and other things everybody I know got screwed by Obama care

• Like 1

That's kind of vague. Was he screwed because he had more than 50 fulltime people and had to offer health insurance? Kind of hard to discuss the problems of a system if no one really gives the details.

Here's a family that's having a much different experience:

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/01/02/oregon-mother-i-cant-afford-obamacare-for-myself-1-year-old-son/

Kate Holly, 33, tells KOIN-TV that she originally championed President Barack Obama’s signature health care law because she thought it would help people in her situation.

“I’ve been a cheerleader for the Affordable Care Act since I heard about it and I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,” Holly, a freelance yoga instructor, told KOIN. “I was planning on using the Affordable Care Act and I had done the online calculator in advance to make sure I was going to be able to afford it.”

Holly’s husband works for a non-profit organization that pays for his health care, but the couple is unable to afford to have her and their son covered under his plan. And she’s been told their combined income is too much to qualify for a subsidized health care plan under Cover Oregon.

That story seemed kind of odd, so I went and looked up the subsidy for a family of three in Oregon. Evidently you have to make more than 78,000$ for a family of three to not qualify for a subsidy. Seems to me it is more of a case of not wanting to afford insurance rather than not being able to afford it.

• Like 1

That story seemed kind of odd, so I went and looked up the subsidy for a family of three in Oregon. Evidently you have to make more than 78,000$ for a family of three to not qualify for a subsidy. Seems to me it is more of a case of not wanting to afford insurance rather than not being able to afford it.

I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with Obamacare. It's a huge scam and I'm not falling for it. It's like the Roach Motel...you go in...but you never come out...more even like...The Hotel California...you can never leave.

• Like 2

Yeah, because $78K a year for a family of three in Seattle is like Mitt Romney 1% money.

• Like 2

What rafter said and is that $78k gross? Because that's probably more like $60k net. Either way that ain't much for a few people, especially kids.

Yeah, because $78K a year for a family of three in Seattle is like Mitt Romney 1% money.

Umm. According to the article you posted she lives in Oregon not Seattle. Portland is a decent sized city but nowhere near Seattle or New York for cost of living. For reference though, my uncle and aunt live in Oregon and earn $52,000 and have insurance.

Umm. According to the article you posted she lives in Oregon not Seattle. Portland is a decent sized city but nowhere near Seattle or New York for cost of living. For reference though, my uncle and aunt live in Oregon and earn $52,000 and have insurance.

Great but different strokes for different folks. Your uncles needs, circumstances and finances surely differ from the family in question. Just because I make more money than someone who has something I don't but arguably should doesn't mean I should fork out the cash for it. Maybe I'm in more debt than a lesser earner. Maybe that's not wise but it isn't up to anyone else to decide what I should spend my money on. Unless I break a major law it shouldn't be up to society or the government to regulate my spending habits. Making bad decisions is self-punishing enough and I don't need Washington or my neighbor to lift me up or set me straight. Health insurance isn't a bad thing but it should be a choice.

To be blunt, the impression I got from reading the article was that she was either looking for a single payer system or a handout. She wants the insurance, but she also seems to want you to pay for it.

To be blunt, the impression I got from reading the article was that she was either looking for a single payer system or a handout. She wants the insurance, but she also seems to want you to pay for it.

I'm not down with that BUT if she is being forced where else might she turn unless she re-works her entire financial situation or makes a lot more money which might not be a bad idea but so what maybe she was content how things were. It's a real shame people have to now consider being forced into having a 'car payment to mortgage size' insurance bill every month and year for the rest of their lives and in many cases will have to choose between one or the other (a car/home payment or insurance). Which would you choose?

Edited by F3SS

That's the problem with new stories like this. They really don't give enough information to find out what is truly going on. Only enough to inflame emotions and spark speculation. It is more propaganda than news.

So other than saying it sounds fishy and speculating about her finances, I can't answer that for her.

As for myself, I have never allowed myself to get into a situation where I even had a risk of that happening. So I can't relate. To be honest, watching the cost of my insurance and health care rocket up in the past decade, as well as stories about medical bankruptcies was the number one worry about my future finances. Which is why all this Obamacare stuff interests me so much. I want to see the problem solved before I do have to start making those choices. It's one of the reasons I bite my tongue and am willing to give Obamacare a shot despite the parts of it that worry me.

• Like 2

That it probably won't survive intact past Obama. Neither the Democrats or Republicans see this as the final form of healthcare.

• Like 2

I'd say that Seattle and Portland are comparable in Cost of Living expenses. Portland is like Seattle lite, but costs the same.

It is possible to easily live here on $50k a year, but not if you have kids. Maybe that is why our Minimum Wage is going to $9 an hour?

I'm not in favor of Obamacare, but not so much for the meat of the ACA, as I am against the slop shod people who seem to be in charge of it. I'd rather have a High Paid healthcare Corporate CEO in charge, who gets things done on time and to the required specifications. I'd like to see the government run something like a business, rather then as a soup kitchen. It doesn't have to make a profit, but it would be nice if something ran with some efficiency now and then, rather then Always coming in over budget and Always haven't troubles getting started.

If I wanted Obamacare to be a success, I would go and get the best people... before opening it up to the people. I'd not take the lowest bidder, I'd headhunt for the best bidder and pay them what they required. Government is run by idiots.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Are celebrities required to get Obamacare? I just thought about this. And the "fine" is so stupid!

Are celebrities required to get Obamacare? I just thought about this. And the "fine" is so stupid!

If they make millions as most do, why would they? They already own individual policies or they make enough to not need insurance. They just pay their healthcare bills. The ACA is only for those who are UNINSURED. Some what 85-95% of Americans are already insured. Get it?

Edited by ninjadude

If they make millions as most do, why would they? They already own individual policies or they make enough to not need insurance. They just pay their healthcare bills. The ACA is only for those who are UNINSURED. Some what 85-95% of Americans are already insured. Get it?

15% of population uninsured now I'm going with your high number that is like 48million people? how come Obama care is struggling to get 7 million to sign up

if your calculator is broken 7 million is 15% of the 15% that need insurance

the more you crunch the numbers the more you see what a colossal waste of time and taxpayer money this is.

• Like 1

I'm under the impression that when tax time comes around, there will be a sharp increase in the number of enrollees. People with lower incomes generally use tax money to pay for things they can't afford at the end of the year when money is generally tighter. Just my opinion, but I guess we will find out.

I've heard that if you pay cash immediately you can get a discount. Some say people paying cash in some instances pay only 20% of what would be charged to insurance.

• Like 2

They already own individual policies or they make enough to not need insurance. They just pay their healthcare bills. The ACA is only for those who are UNINSURED. Some what 85-95% of Americans are already insured. Get it?

wow, lay off that pipe.

everyone must have insurance, that is a

aca alleged goal.

you just can't pay your bills and not have ins. i mean you can but you will be fined.

• Like 2

I honestly think that most people parroting back such silliness don't actually know what Obamacare is.