Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Mars One - biggest hoax/event ever?

outoftheworld

Okay guys, question

Is mars one the biggest hoax of all time, or potentially the biggest event to ever occur.

Its been public news for close to a year and a half now, they are going to be doing preliminary test flights to mars (unmanned) in 2018) and the first to land people on mars in 2023 (takes off late `22 arriving in 23).

This is a one way trip to mars, and they are supposed to be every few years putting more people on mars.

Before you say `haha whatever`.. this thing has had news conferences all over the world, and news reports on it, and a ton of media coverage,

Here is their website with a ton of info

http://www.mars-one.com/

What i do not get is this, how are they hoping to accomplish in ten years, what nasa couldnt do in the best part of a century.

Also they have an indie go go marathon at the moment to raise 400 grand, please read the comments (by donors)

http://www.indiegogo...mission-in-2018

Bottom line if this was a scam, itd be shut down LONG AGO

So there are two options...

Either a genuine project.. if it is, i hope to god it succeeds although most of their plans are madness (you have to read their website to believe it)

Or, the government / nasa who we know have purposely delayed doing any sort of proper attempt to land man on mars in 50 years, know something is going to happen before launch date, and arent at all bothered about this

I just can not see if there really has been a major cover up about mars for ages, with all the lengths to go to, to airbrush pics, and lie, that you would suddenly allow in a decade time, people to go and live on mars, and full clear as day ability for us to see everything and anything that is there

Sorry if i am rambling on and on, but it would be great to hear your opinion

Ps im writing this at almost 2am so if i have mis typed it will be corrected first thing in morning

Edited by outoftheworld

There are few threads on this here already.

http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=230945

http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=233051

http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=246391

http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=252676

http://www.unexplain...mission-by-2016

http://www.unexplain...lite-and-lander

These are all threads based on news stories or updates rather than being created for the discussion of the project though.

The current state of play points to a legitimate push towards the suggested goals.

IMO I would go for 'over ambitious' rather than hoax.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 4

I am new here, plus this is really about hoax or not... and why if there has been a mars coverup till now would this be allowed to get through

Welcome to UM OOTW.

I am not familiar with any 'Mars cover up' stories that hold any weight but don't let me stop you following that line of thinking, I just won't be following it myself.

Enjoy UM :)

Okay guys, question

Is mars one the biggest hoax of all time, or potentially the biggest event to ever occur.

Its been public news for close to a year and a half now, they are going to be doing preliminary test flights to mars (unmanned) in 2018) and the first to land people on mars in 2023 (takes off late `22 arriving in 23).

This is a one way trip to mars, and they are supposed to be every few years putting more people on mars.

Before you say `haha whatever`.. this thing has had news conferences all over the world, and news reports on it, and a ton of media coverage,

What i do not get is this, how are they hoping to accomplish in ten years, what nasa couldnt do in the best part of a century.

Also they have an indie go go marathon at the moment to raise 400 grand, please read the comments (by donors)

http://www.indiegogo...mission-in-2018

Bottom line if this was a scam, itd be shut down LONG AGO

So there are two options...

Either a genuine project.. if it is, i hope to god it succeeds although most of their plans are madness (you have to read their website to believe it)

Or, the government / nasa who we know have purposely delayed doing any sort of proper attempt to land man on mars in 50 years, know something is going to happen before launch date, and arent at all bothered about this

I just can not see if there really has been a major cover up about mars for ages, with all the lengths to go to, to airbrush pics, and lie, that you would suddenly allow in a decade time, people to go and live on mars, and full clear as day ability for us to see everything and anything that is there

Sorry if i am rambling on and on, but it would be great to hear your opinion

Ps im writing this at almost 2am so if i have mis typed it will be corrected first thing in morning

My opinion is that it is just a money making scheme for the website owner(s)

I base it on the following:

mars one has proposed a variant to the spacex dragon capsule and is raising funding for it and a satellite (communications I assume) in the amount of $400,000 (link #2 you provided) .

At this time there is no corroboration between Mars1 and Spacex and no indication that Spacex is even in the design phase for the variant.

Spacex is scheduled to do it's first manned testing of the Dragon in 2-3 years (2016-2017) and it will take more than one test before they will make anything for transport of humans available to mars1. This makes it most likely impossible that mars1 would be able to have a 2018 flight to the moon.

$400,000 is too little for the capsule and satellite considering they have no quotes for the cost of the capsule and the satellite alone will cost over $100,000,000

My opinion is that it is just a money making scheme for the website owner(s)

I base it on the following:

mars one has proposed a variant to the spacex dragon capsule and is raising funding for it and a satellite (communications I assume) in the amount of $400,000 (link #2 you provided) .

At this time there is no corroboration between Mars1 and Spacex and no indication that Spacex is even in the design phase for the variant.

Spacex is scheduled to do it's first manned testing of the Dragon in 2-3 years (2016-2017) and it will take more than one test before they will make anything for transport of humans available to mars1. This makes it most likely impossible that mars1 would be able to have a 2018 flight to the moon.

$400,000 is too little for the capsule and satellite considering they have no quotes for the cost of the capsule and the satellite alone will cost over $100,000,000

No, basicaly the 400.000 is to start the funding for the first unmanned probe in 2018

the actual cost of the missions in 2022 are in the billions

what i dont get is this....

lets imagine nasa is legit, and no cover up, and it really is as hard as they make out to get a person back on the moon, and mars is very complicated, and it may be a couple of decades before we have a person on mars ( just if you go with the official nasa line of story in general)........

then how is it a company can spring out of nowhere and within ten years magicaly put people on mars TO LIVE.......... and repeat this......

it doesnt make sense

if it really is this easy then nasa shouldnt have spent the last part of the last century doing nothing except for unmanned probes.... they should absolutly by now have sent missions to mars

If they are declaring their taxes probably it is not a scam. I won't compare the achievements and costs in the private sector with Nasa. The privates will always be much affordable and less costly than nasa.

• Like 1

If they are declaring their taxes probably it is not a scam. I won't compare the achievements and costs in the private sector with Nasa. The privates will always be much affordable and less costly than nasa.

To the taxpayer, Yes! The cost will be the same to get there, regardless. They're hoping to raise the money privately. Time will tell.

Mars One just proves what the problem is - the politicians. Unfortunately to think that NASA would do it if it could be done is wrong and laughable because NASA is on such low level financially because you know America needs this war and it's almost a trillion dollar annual budget to help it's people. For instance army spends every 11 days what NASA spends in one year and yet every-time some telescope or laboratory goes into space people say "We could of feed kids in Africa with that money."

But if you want the bottom line answer: I heard Robert Zubrin talk about Mars One and he believes it's valid so why wouldn't you?

Edited by promKing

ok so you get to mars. then what??

The idea, I think, is that they start up a colony.

i think people missed my question

say nasa are legit.. no covers ups nothing

according to them or was it obama who said put man on mars by 2030 i think

so we have a company who has spent like 3/4 of a century and is still 2 decades away from manned mars mission

yet a company out of the blue thinks it can gather the means to not just `visit` but make multiple visits.. and actually live on mars too

does anyone see what i am getting at?

First of all this is not a topic for the ET/UFO section, and it would seem youre leaning towards some sort of CT.

NASA don't need to send men to Mars, the rovers are doing what we want them to, perhaps better than men could, and can NASA already send men there? Yes of course, but there is no point, the cost of a mission there and back would be, literally, astronomical. Thats WHY the Mars one mission costs less, its a one way trip. Plus the Mars One mission is a "Big Brother" type TV event, the rewards from such a media event, ie, WORLDWIDE COVERAGE, will earn them a bloody fortune that will easily absorb the costs associated with going..

This is what you need to understand. Mars One is NOT about ethical colonization, its about a TV show idea, ratings and earnings. Id suggest you read the ALREADY ESTABLISHED posts on this topic, links to which have already been provided

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Okay guys, question

The most significant issue for me here is that it takes all of this money and time to raise funds to get to our closest habitable neighbour. What's there exactly? The planet is little more than a sterile desert.

It says much about the level of our technology and accomplishment when that project is our ultimate goal.

• Like 2

The most significant issue for me here is that it takes all of this money and time to raise funds to get to our closest habitable neighbour. What's there exactly? The planet is little more than a sterile desert.

It says much about the level of our technology and accomplishment when that project is our ultimate goal.

Why do you say that Mars is the ultimate goal of space exploration?
  • Like 1

We don't have the technology to send a man or men to Mars...and we never will.

• Like 1

i think people missed my question

say nasa are legit.. no covers ups nothing

according to them or was it obama who said put man on mars by 2030 i think

so we have a company who has spent like 3/4 of a century and is still 2 decades away from manned mars mission

yet a company out of the blue thinks it can gather the means to not just `visit` but make multiple visits.. and actually live on mars too

does anyone see what i am getting at?

I don't know much about the Mars One mission, but I don't think what you're saying here makes much sense. Commercial space companies don't need to start from scratch to put satellites or men into space. The hard work has been done. That 3/4 of century involved multiple space agencies developing the technologies necessary to get where we are today. Technology that is already developed and doesn't beed to be developed from scratch by others who wish to go to space.

There's also the case that many technologies used in modern space exploration has been invented and improved since NASA was formed in the 1950s and developed outside NASA. Electronics, computers, materials, etc. have all improved significantly since then so that if you wish to go to space you don't need to develop the archaic electronics and computers used in the first NASA missions to space.

It's not like anyone wanting to set up a commercial space venture in 2013 needs to start where NASA were in 1958. Saying that there's something fishy about it is like saying there's something fishy about the idea of someone starting a new commercial computer company in 2013 because Intel, IBM, etc. spent decades and billions in research and development to bring modern computer technology to the state it's currently in therefore how can some upstart company expect to build computers when it took others decades to get where they are? The answer of course is that the hard work by Intel and IBM has been done and you can purchase, lease, license etc. the existing technologies and in some case use free and open technologies and standards that others have developed.

Putting a man on Mars for NASA isn't much of a goal I'd say anyway. Why spend $x00 billions putting a man there when for 1% of that you can send a multi year missions involving orbiters and rovers that can accomplish far more for far less than anything a manned mission could? Good luck getting the necessary finance from the federal government if they seriously wanted to anyway.

We'd probably be able to build something akin to the death star before that.

• Like 1

why not?

it takes a few months only ... what could be the problem that makes this journey unachievable?

• Like 1

why not?

it takes a few months only ... what could be the problem that makes this journey unachievable?

1. A ship capable of making that voyage while keeping men alive.

2. A unit of transportation to the planets surface.

3. The ability to live on the planet indefinitely.

4. Money.

5. Desire.

...for starters...

• Like 1

The whole thing is ridiculous in the time scales given. Nasa and the Russian space agency have been working for decades just to figure out how to get a crew to survive the journey.

This lot think they will solve this, build a base, build a rocket, build a lander etc etc etc in just a few years. It is pie in the sky, they couldn't even get a man into lower orbit at the moment let alone Mars. Look at the private space tourism firms like Virgin etc, they are still in testing.

It would have been far more feasible to start with a moon base with the plan to have a Mars base in a few decades.

• Like 2

1) we keep man alive on the international space station more than the trip to Mars should last (so we can)

2) unit can be a space shuttle Columbia modified to carry a lander. Apparently Mars is having the gases necessary (including hydrogen) to build combustion fuel for coming back. In fact due to no atmosphere on mars , take off would be much easier than from Earth

3) Possible , with plants and building a glass dome on mars it can create a proper atmosphere. If something is plainly on mars is sand. From sand you can make glass... a glass dome is the answering to everything... there are huge reservoirs of water on Mars + has been found that the water contains similar competence and purity as on Earth.

4) Not a problem. If there's money for wars, there can be money for Mars exploration. In fact each citizen of the United States will donate 1 single dollar there would be more than enough for a mission.

5) over 200.000 people so far signed for Mars One

easy as pie!

1) we keep man alive on the international space station more than the trip to Mars should last (so we can)

2) unit can be a space shuttle Columbia modified to carry a lander. Apparently Mars is having the gases necessary (including hydrogen) to build combustion fuel for coming back. In fact due to no atmosphere on mars , take off would be much easier than from Earth

3) Possible , with plants and building a glass dome on mars it can create a proper atmosphere. If something is plainly on mars is sand. From sand you can make glass... a glass dome is the answering to everything... there are huge reservoirs of water on Mars + has been found that the water contains similar competence and purity as on Earth.

4) Not a problem. If there's money for wars, there can be money for Mars exploration. In fact each citizen of the United States will donate 1 single dollar there would be more than enough for a mission.

5) over 200.000 people so far signed for Mars One

easy as pie!

1: The ISS can be refuelled and re supplied, its only 200 miles away, a Mars journey cannot - so needs to be sufficiently self contained. Imagine packing enough water for 3 or more passengers for at least 6 months, enough food, enough breathing gasses.. equipment, the craft will be heavy, so it will need more fuel to even blast off, making it heavier again

3: making glass domes? So in this fantasy then we also send smelting equipment and enough gas to melt the sand... then we need a huge factory to create the dome. Not feasible to start with...

Will address your other points in a bit - as watching TV

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

1: The ISS can be refuelled and re supplied, a Mars journey cannot - so needs to be sufficiently self contained. Imagine packing enough water for 3 or more passengers for at least 6 months, enough food, enough breathing gasses.. equipment, the craft will be heavy, so it will need more fuel, making it heavier again

3: making glass domes? So in this fantasy then we also send smelting equipment and enough gas to melt the sand... then we need a huge factory to create the dome. Not feasible to start with...

Will address your other points in a bit - as watching TV

Dream on...

Dream on...

Kindly explain, you've lost me?