Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murdered Transgender Woman Honored by Jesuits

libstaK

A homeless Transgender woman has been honoured in a Catholic Funeral.

Excerpts from the article:

Months after Andrea's death, her body remained unclaimed in the morgue. Local charity workers decided Andrea needed to be acknowledged with a Catholic funeral. A priest at Chiesa Del Gesu, one of the most prominent Jesuit churches in Rome opened its doors."With Pope Francis, we have courage, we have enthusiasm," said Father Giovanni La Manna, who helped organize the funeral. "We have no excuse. We are called to open our hearts."

Charity workers, government officials, even the city's mayor gathered to pay tribute. Andrea's coffin lay amid the church's breathtaking frescos. A Catholic mass was held in her memory.

And then something happened that stunned those inside the church.

Throughout the mass, the priest acknowledged Andrea as a 'She'.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/02/world/europe/italy-transgender-woman-mclaughlin/index.html?hpt=hp_c6

I guess the era of compassion and the acceptance that we are all in this together is upon us :)

• Like 1

SAY WHAAAT!?

post-142153-0-48669800-1388666639_thumb.

SAY WHAAAT!?

The Jesuits are, from my understanding, a much more liberal branch of the Catholic Church.

• Like 1

It's a shame they waited til she was dead to do anything. If you really want to make an impact, help someone before it's too late.

• Like 4

It's a shame they waited til she was dead to do anything. If you really want to make an impact, help someone before it's too late.

Only so much you can do, and it's impossible to prevent every murder.

Making an example of this murder will hopefully mark a step towards changing the treatment of LGBQT among the general Catholic population. Hopefully that'll have an effect on the church too.

The Jesuits are, from my understanding, a much more liberal branch of the Catholic Church.

I did not know this.Thanks

The Jesuits are called God's Storm Troopers because of one big reason - their faith is so strong that they can look at the world around them and accept it at face value. They don't deny Dinosaurs, or evolution they accept it and adapt their beliefs to accommodate the facts.

You can argue religion and (say) archeology with a Jesuit and lose both arguments.

• Like 3

I find modern Catholics in general to be amoung the more tolerant of Christians. I wonder why that is. I know what other Christian zealots would say, but it used to be Catholics were the standard for intolerance. I suppose like anything else an institution can mature and reach a point of wise old age. Lets hope it continues that way. Having solid actual spiritual leadership also dosnt hurt

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

I find modern Catholics in general to be amoung the more tolerant of Christians. I wonder why that is. I know what other Christian zealots would say, but it used to be Catholics were the standard for intolerance. I suppose like anything else an institution can mature and reach a point of wise old age. Lets hope it continues that way. Having solid actual spiritual leadership also dosnt hurt

It depends on where you go. Catholics in the US tend to not actually hold to the teachings of the Catholic church much (see the stats for how many accept contraception and support gay marriage for example) and are the largest chunk over all of Christians.

It depends on where you go. Catholics in the US tend to not actually hold to the teachings of the Catholic church much (see the stats for how many accept contraception and support gay marriage for example) and are the largest chunk over all of Christians.

Yeah, I suppose my exposure is limited to Catholics in my immediate vicinity. Certainly Catholics here use contraception, and I don't think most them care that much one way or the other who Marries who. I have been to quite a few catholic masses and mostly i am reminded me of a scene in the movie "Rango". Just kidding, they are all very nice people.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I'm catholic and you'll find that most Catholics are fairly conservative BUT are also proactively supportive of social justice (basically, they'll grizzle that mass isn't said in Latin anymore, that marriage is for life unless you've married a psychopath, but are at the front of the line to give blood, donate time and money to making things better for others, never asking for anything in return etc).

• Like 1