Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Has Belief in Evolution Declined So Much?

questionmark

In November, Mischa Fisher took to this space to criticize the notion that Republicans are the anti-science party. Plenty of Democrats hold views that contradict empirically established facts, and Republican skepticism is overblown, he wrote.

And yet ...

The Pew Research Center released new numbers Monday on how Americans view evolution. (The question was asked in a way to include those who believe God or a supreme being guided the process.) About six in 10 accept it, the poll found, but the partisan divide is wide:

Read more

Democrats pretend science and Republicans pretend religion. This causes people who either care about science or religion to vote for one of those two parties. Pretty cool huh?

• Like 5

Do nearly 50% of Republicans really believe that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of Time? Am I reading that graph right? The question wasn't framed in some way to make it biased? Well, that's quite extraordinary.

There has been too much conflicting information published recently. The Neanderthals are related to humans, not related to humans, we all came from monkeys, fish, etc. It's confusing to me, so I would rather believe in aliens seeding the earth with humans who look like common humans nowadays. If they were gods or not, or one god, or a goddess, or none of the above, is also confusing. Until someone comes up with something more than theories, well... I guess my theory is as good as some.

• Like 1

Do nearly 50% of Republicans really believe that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of Time? Am I reading that graph right? The question wasn't framed in some way to make it biased? Well, that's quite extraordinary.

Why do you think that Republicans have problems recruiting young people?

I'd like to add that the data comes from people who are actually willing to participate in polls and not necessarily reflective of the general population as a whole.

I believe in both creationism and evolution and don't believe in either the democrats or the republicans. This article and poll are just ways to make people feel more separate and divided.

• Like 2

I can believe the figures. I found many people don't even know the definition of evolution, theory, or hypothesis. It's hard to discuss it when the person you are talking to about it was raised to think that evolution means a monkey magically turning into a human.

• Like 1

seems like 60% are dumb idiots, for relating either theory to political parties, I can't wait till they start relating weather and political parties.

and they vote, lol, for those that believe in voting,

Edited by aztek

seems like 60% are dumb idiots, for relating either theory to political parties, I can't wait till they start relating weather and political parties.

and they vote, lol, for those that believe in voting,

Wait no longer. http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/10/29/1104901/anti-gay-preacher-blames-hurricane-sandy-on-homosexuality-and-marriage-equality/

• Like 1

Well, that site doesn't appear to be entirely free from political bias, I have to say, so perhaps we ought to take this with a pinch of salt.

I'd like to add that the data comes from people who are actually willing to participate in polls and not necessarily reflective of the general population as a whole.

Yeah, I agree. I have a brother who had to do this type of work, they conducted the polls over the phones, and only dialed land lines.

How many of you own a land line, and then how many of you who do own a land line answer unavailable or unknown 800 numbers?

One of his more funny replies he received once was pertaining to a poll asking if Spanish was spoken in the household. The elderly woman replied "we don't believe in that Spanish". :w00t: Yay Murica!!

• Like 1

The kook left an the kook right both meet in anti-science. It's just the flavor of the anti-science that's different - one man's creationism and global warming denial is another man's anti-GMOs and anti-vaxx.