Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Earthquake Lights' Mistaken For UFOs

seeder

Scientists find records of rare "earthquake lights"

They've been mistaken for UFOs or dismissed as hallucinations. Now geologists have collected a near-definitive list of a rare but fascinating phenomenon — earthquake lights.

Certain types of earthquakes in certain areas can set off blazes of light seconds — sometimes days — ahead of the actual quake. These can manifest themselves as floating balls of light, bluish columns shooting up out of the earth and even reverse lightning, reaching up into the sky from the ground.

http://www.13wmaz.co...lights/4290007/

1388685077000-Figure-S2-EQL-Cross-Sound-3-.png

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

wow, awesomesauce....!!

i just heard about this via hearsay. And then also just descriptions how light phenomena can occur during an earthquake. I find it most amazing that these phenomena seem to occur even days BEFORE an actual earthquake, thus "predicting" it.

One of these things we just start to really discover and describe scientifically. Just like the "sprites" in space. But i'm sure both phenomena have been around for.....EVER, it just took us 2.000.000 years to notice.

• Like 2

wow, awesomesauce....!!

i just heard about this via hearsay. And then also just descriptions how light phenomena can occur during an earthquake. I find it most amazing that these phenomena seem to occur even days BEFORE an actual earthquake, thus "predicting" it.

One of these things we just start to really discover and describe scientifically. Just like the "sprites" in space. But i'm sure both phenomena have been around for.....EVER, it just took us 2.000.000 years to notice.

:tu: Exactly. Modern science no doubt has many 'answers' to find about many topics, and its good that one more phenomena is understood, and thus ruled out as being UFO. Maybe in time we will also understand all related phenomena, such as the UFO lights at Hessdalen

• Like 3

1388685077000-Figure-S2-EQL-Cross-Sound-3-.png

BTW the photo used in the OP is from the 'Tagish Lake ufo sighting' filed by Jim Conacher. So yet another old story put to bed :tu:

heres another pic and story on same subject

Mystery Flashes Linked to Quakes? “Electricity Surging Out of the Ground And Into The Sky”

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11180669

ff.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

:tu: Exactly. Modern science no doubt has many 'answers' to find about many topics, and its good that one more phenomena is understood, and thus ruled out as being UFO. Maybe in time we will also understand all related phenomena, such as the UFO lights at Hessdalen

hessdalen was the first thing that popped up in my head when i read your post. It appears kind of same-ish, though Norway hasn't been in the news for being earthquake-ridden for over 70 years.... ;)

• Like 2

Earth quake lights have also been mistaken for a manifestation created by HAARP, and the same people who spew that nonsense like to hope people will forget the fact that earth quake lights, although still unknown of cause, existed LONG before HAARP even existed.

• Like 2

Paul Devereux has wrote a few books on this phenomena,I remember seeing a documentary where scientists using some kind of industrial press forced 2 rocks against each other and produced small lights in the laboratory.If you imagine the force going on in the earths crust I could well imagine large sustained lights being produced

• Like 3

There were a lot of reports of orbs in California on New Year's Eve. Maybe they're in for the big one??

• Like 1

Paul Devereux has wrote a few books on this phenomena,I remember seeing a documentary where scientists using some kind of industrial press forced 2 rocks against each other and produced small lights in the laboratory.If you imagine the force going on in the earths crust I could well imagine large sustained lights being produced

Its also how lighters work, piezo electric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_ignition

• Like 4

There were a lot of reports of orbs in California on New Year's Eve. Maybe they're in for the big one??

Very true. I noted this on one of the sites I follow.

...that would be the! most! terrible! proof of concept! EVER!!

• Like 1

...that would be the! most! terrible! proof of concept! EVER!!

Especially as those who look into such stories have already decided they were just lanterns. On New Years Eve!

• Like 2

Especially as those who look into such stories have already decided they were just lanterns. On New Years Eve!

so, not only terrible, but also. uuhhm, HIGHLY UNLIKELY.....

• Like 2

They should come to Azeal Texas 28 last month ! Frackin Idiots In Texas !

BTW the photo used in the OP is from the 'Tagish Lake ufo sighting' filed by Jim Conacher. So yet another old story put to bed :tu:

heres another pic and story on same subject

Mystery Flashes Linked to Quakes? “Electricity Surging Out of the Ground And Into The Sky”

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11180669

This link talks of the Christchurch quake. The observer saw flashes of light amid the quake but from what it reads, it is uncertain if these were natural or not. One thing certain is that the power supply was warped and broken throughout much of the city which might account for the sighting.

Christchurch endured well over 10,000 quakes since 2010, it was just a non stop roller coaster for a couple of years but soon people grew use to their presence. So much so it wasnt unusual to be rocked to sleep rather than be startled awake by them.

I cant remember the exact date but during this great seismic period I had a UFO sighting early in the morning hours on a perfect clear night, no moon I saw 7 or 8 flying lights in V formation for 30 or 40 seconds uninterrupted. They were silent, size and brightness and colour of stars and travelled in comparison about the speed of a flock of birds. I dont think they were birds because the lights were uniform and had no blinking like you might expect from wing beats. I can only guess the height as twenty stories.

In two minds, I thought :unsure2: OMG UFOs and when I thought about it more rationally I thought birds (unusual glowing ones that I have never before or since witnessed) lol.

Maybe I should add earthquake lights to my list of possibilities. Thanks Seeder.

• Like 1

Not enough evidence there to debunk SpacemanSpleefmaster's YouTube video that I saw.

Related to balls of light around crop circles perhaps?:

All possibly come under the category of UFO related orbs.

[media=]

[/media]

Yet another cross post and thread derail, reported

After a little research it appears there could indeed be an interesting connection:

In January 3rd of 1900, Nikola Tesla, this famous electrical engineer to whom we owe the discovery of the polyphased current and many other crucial inventions, was working in his

laboratory in Colorado Spring and he wrote, in his personal notes, the results he had obtained from an electrical experiment that had produced fireballs.

Professor Marincic makes an extremely fascinating comment regarding this experiment. These fireballs that Tesla was talking about behaved in many, if not all respects, like the balls of light seen in the fields of England.

Fireballs are considered to be a form of electrical discharge generated during thunderstorms. Fireballs are usually red, but other colors have also been observed: yellow, green, white and blue. Their dimensions vary, a mean diameter being about 25 cm. Unlike ordinary lightning, fireballs move slowly, almost parallel to the ground. They sometimes stop and change their direction of motion. They can last for up to 5 seconds.

According to recent theories, fireballs consist of a plasma zone created by electrical discharge.

The latest research and calculations by Kapitsa show that the lifetime of a fireball cannot be explained by the energy it receives at the time of the genesis, but that it must receive energy

from its surroundings. Kapitsa theorizes that this external energy is produced by a naturally created electromagnetic field.

Read more

http://www.colinandr...Light-Orbs.html

Edited by zoser

hessdalen was the first thing that popped up in my head when i read your post. It appears kind of same-ish, though Norway hasn't been in the news for being earthquake-ridden for over 70 years.... ;)

You could be correct; people have looked at the different areas where the phenomena occurs (including Hessdalen). The question is are they operating with any intelligence behind them? In the case of the crop circles they appear to be. In the link in post 20, Marincic states that once formed the objects must derive energy from their surroundings in order to exist.

Could that be why they hang around at Hessdalen or crop circles even? Sustenance?

http://www.cropcircl...cuum_Domain.htm

How long do the objects last at earthquake zones?

Edit to add:

Conjecture:

Are earthquake lights, crop circle balls of light, and the Hessdalen phenomena really the same effect? Are they balls of energy emitted from within the earth that can then be powered by things in the external environment to sustain themselves?

In the case of Hessdalen this could due to the fact that the area is mineral rich and has unique electromagnetic properties that sustain the orbs. In the case of balls of light seen at crop circles are they deriving their energy from the formations themselves? People maintain that the formations are electrically charges and this effect has been measured.

Edited by zoser

You could be correct; people have looked at the different areas where the phenomena occurs (including Hessdalen). The question is are they operating with any intelligence behind them? In the case of the crop circles they appear to be. In the link in post 20, Marincic states that once formed the objects must derive energy from their surroundings in order to exist.

Could that be why they hang around at Hessdalen or crop circles even? Sustenance?

http://www.cropcircl...cuum_Domain.htm

How long do the objects last at earthquake zones?

Edit to add:

Conjecture:

Are earthquake lights, crop circle balls of light, and the Hessdalen phenomena really the same effect? Are they balls of energy emitted from within the earth that can then be powered by things in the external environment to sustain themselves?

In the case of Hessdalen this could due to the fact that the area is mineral rich and has unique electromagnetic properties that sustain the orbs. In the case of balls of light seen at crop circles are they deriving their energy from the formations themselves? People maintain that the formations are electrically charges and this effect has been measured.

so by continuing your train of thought.. it would be the earth creating the crop circle formations and not aliens.. so maybe the earth is trying to tell us something.. and not aliens..

Gaia FTW!!

[media=]

[/media]

birds?.....

You could be correct; people have looked at the different areas where the phenomena occurs (including Hessdalen). The question is are they operating with any intelligence behind them? In the case of the crop circles they appear to be....

I'd like to not throw everything in one pot here. There is natural phenomena, REAL natural phenomena, like those earthquake lights, the Hessdalen lights, sprites or ball lightnings. They occur naturally, it's just a mechanism that we don't fully understand yet.

But i am pretty, pretty sure that they will be fully explained by science.

And then there are crop circles.

My opinion on those is that some people should be ashamed of themselves for ruining other peoples' good harvest.