Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy portrait legend...

elliott134

My sister just told me this really scary urban legend that I'd never heard before so I thought I'd share it.

A man is driving down a forest road when his car runs out of gas. It is thundering and pouring down but he is delighted to find an empty cabin nearby. He steps inside, goes to a bedroom at the back of the cabin, and settles in.

He tries to get to sleep but can't, because of the very creepy portraits around the room. Each one has a different expression: one has a face of rage while one has a face like a rapist's just before he gets you.

He manages to eventually get to sleep uncomfortably. He wakes up in the morning, hoping to find the owner of the cabin, because when he looks around the portraits have gone. He is half asleep at the time so he is barely concentrating, but when he wakes up properly, he realises they weren't portraits, they were windows.

This one REALLY creeped me out. What do you think?

• Like 8

Never heard that one. I like it but I'm thinking it's just another of the many "true" stories people just made up to scare others.

• Like 1

To be honest when she told me this I thought it was a true story too. It seems very realistic in the way its set out but I still got chills when she said they were windows. If it is a true story I'd LOVE to read about it more.

• Like 1

but I still got chills when she said they were windows.

That's the part that got me too. Good one! Welcome to UM btw :tu:

• Like 1

I can't see it being true but its a good story I hadn't heard before.

yeah cuz no one could possibly tell the difference between a window and a picture on the wall.

• Like 2

They obviously didn't mean him any harm, and he got a free bed for the night.

I like a happy ending.

• Like 4

yeah cuz no one could possibly tell the difference between a window and a picture on the wall.

Well it was at night so it would've been pretty dark. And if you're trying to get to sleep I doubt the lights are on, but I still admit that is a flaw. Nonetheless creepy ending though,

heh, I guess when you got killers and rapists watching over your sleep, darn tootin no one else is gonna get ya. Wish I had heard of this one as a kid, could have scared the beejeebers out of some kids at scout camp, lol.

Pretty fun creepy one though, thanks for sharing it elliott. And welcome to UM :st

So... it's raining and thundering... instead of staying in the car and calling someone, he just wanders around outside until he finds a cabin? Then he casually strolls in, assuming it to be empty, finds a room furnished with a bed and some paintings, still assumes the place is empty, and goes to sleep. He fails to notice that the portraits on the wall feature realistic rainfall and possibly lightning.

I know this, like most ULs, is just meant to be a cautionary/scary tale but I wish the people that come up with this stuff would put a bit more effort into making it believable.

• Like 4

Well it was at night so it would've been pretty dark. And if you're trying to get to sleep I doubt the lights are on, but I still admit that is a flaw. Nonetheless creepy ending though,

no i'm sorry but there is no way that a window in the dark looks like a portrait on the wall.

this is a stupid unbelievable story

If this is indeed a creepy horror story house, and you have to assume a human face is rather small compared to a portrait, i would gander to say that they weren't full sized windows leading outside but rather small windows looking through to other rooms in the house where creepy people wait for that one in a billion chance that someone will break down, stroll through the dark woods, break into someone else's house, and decide to take a nap in their bed, Creepy story though!

When I first starting reading this story I thought that Frankenfurter was going to make an appearance ....

They looked mad because he locked them out of their house in the rain! Haha, jk

This sounds like a great made up story designed to be scary, like all the 'hook man' stories. It's a great scary story though! Never heard it before, very cool

This one REALLY creeped me out. What do you think?

Srsly? This story "REALLY" creeped you out?

Man door hook hand car door.

Seriously, who in that situation would wander around until they found someone's cabin, break in illegally and sleep in someone else's bed? I'd just sleep in my car and wait until the weather cleared or till it was daytime and then see about figuring things out. As would any normal person in that situation.

Edited by JesseCuster

What do you think?

This is not an urban legend, it´s just a little boring story maybe based on a bad dream of a kid.

Nice urban myth.

Shame he could not use the gas from this story to fill up his car.

We found this guy's car broke down,near our weekend cabin in the woods,it was pouring with rain and when we got back to our cabin the door was locked from the inside and looking thru the windows we could see this guy fast asleep on the bed and we couldn't wake him..so we spent the night in his car.

We hope we didn't scare him.

• Like 5