Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tenants kicked out to house Eastern Europeans

skookum

Fergus Wilson who owns around 1000 houses in Ashford in Kent has sent out 200 notice to quits to tenants on housing benefit to free up the houses for Eastern Europeans. He argues that they are more reliable at paying their rent and it is a business decision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534331/Landlord-1-000-homes-evicts-tenants-benefits-He-claims-Eastern-Europeans-better-paying-rent.html#comments

Having owned a home in Ashford in Kent around the time this couple were building their empire I must say I was never big fans of them and considered them quite greedy.

For those not familiar with Ashford it has high unemployment, low wages and large numbers of migrants. I use to rent out an annex to which most of the people had some kind of housing benefit or support due to the low pay rates.

Absolutely disgusting that tenants have such little rights in the UK a landlord can take this kind of preemptive strike in this. How well timed as well with the borders opening to Romania and Bulgaria.

• Like 2

yay, the Eastern Europeans are Taking our Jobs and our Women stories from the Daily Mail have begun. perhaps they could all be put in one thread to save the UK & Europe column being swamped by nothing bu these kind of stories for the next year, or until the Daily Mail finds some other bogeyman to work themselves up into a fury of indignance at.

• Like 2

Well, the potential for this to come back and bite him in the butt happily quite real.

I don't think that could happen here, you can't evict a tennant to profiteer in this manner.

yay, the Eastern Europeans are Taking our Jobs and our Women stories from the Daily Mail have begun. perhaps they could all be put in one thread to save the UK & Europe column being swamped by nothing bu these kind of stories for the next year, or until the Daily Mail finds some other bogeyman to work themselves up into a fury of indignance at.

Well I am sure Fergus Wilson can sue the pants off the Daily Mail if this is fabricated.

Do I have this right? The landlord considers welfare less reliable and less paying in rent, so the landlord is not accepting those kind of tenants in favor of tenants he thinks will pay more rent more reliably?

What's the problem? It's his property and he can do with it what he wants. If this is the business decision he sees as the most sensible, then so be it!

Tenants are being "kicked out" (terms of notice) every day for numerous reasons. And rightfully so: They are only occupants, not the owners.

• Like 2

Do I have this right? The landlord considers welfare less reliable and less paying in rent, so the landlord is not accepting those kind of tenants in favor of tenants he thinks will pay more rent more reliably?

Which right? The right to rent out your property to whoever you think to be the most reliable? Sure!

That is what we call capitalism.Is that not what we want?

• Like 2

Which right? The right to rent out your property to whoever you think to be the most reliable? Sure!

Lol Flombie- Perhaps I should have said "Am I understanding the gist of the story correctly?" instead of "Do I have this right?"

• Like 1

They were happy enough to take vast sums off the local council whilst building their portfolio. In fact that was a lot of homeowners gripes with them as they would gradually buy up the hole street and house all sorts in their properties.

With that amount of housing they are almost like a housing association. This will hit the area hard.

Seems they are not the most reliable payers either.

http://en.wikipedia....d_Judith_Wilson

Seems for a long time they fancy the idea of exploiting Eastern Europeans for their own gain.

Similarly, their plans for a chain of discount dentists staffed by low-cost Eastern European dentists do not appear to have come to fruition
Edited by skookum

What's the problem? It's his property and he can do with it what he wants. If this is the business decision he sees as the most sensible, then so be it!

Tenants are being "kicked out" (terms of notice) every day for numerous reasons. And rightfully so: They are only occupants, not the owners.

They are people.And they have to rent because not everyone can own.Long as they pay the rent and dont cause problems, leave them alone.These are lives..not just some piece of property.You come off as a heartless person.
  • Like 1

This seems like a case of modern day "Rachmanism" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Rachman This typical capitalist scum property "developer", in London exploited his tenants to the extent of driving them out of their homes so he could move in immigrants. Seems the worst of his excesses are now illegal, but these scum always like to work around the law and try anything for their pound of flesh.

• Like 2

not just private landlords do this ....the local ashford borough council did just this to me because in there words ...they can...me and my 4 children were living with my gran in a 4 bedroom house of which she had been the only tenant since 1948...i was caring for her at the time but never claimed carers allowance..she passed away and i asked to take over the tenancy ..they said no and i was evicted and they claimed i was intentionally homeless so i had to find private accomodation which in this area is very expensive..they then proceeded to give it to a single eastern european man who wrecked it...the world is a *****d up place unfortunately .

Edited by Feebs

not just private landlords do this ....the local ashford borough council did just this to me because in there words ...they can...me and my 4 children were living with my gran in a 4 bedroom house of which she had been the only tenant since 1948...i was caring for her at the time but never claimed carers allowance..she passed away and i asked to take over the tenancy ..they said no and i was evicted and they claimed i was intentionally homeless so i had to find private accomodation which in this area is very expensive..they then proceeded to give it to a single eastern european man who wrecked it...the world is a *****d up place unfortunately .

That is terrible.

Makes you wonder if the Wilsons and council are in it together. I don't want to tar all immigrants with the same brush but I do recall they made some places no go areas like Victoria Park. My ex-wife was surrounded by a group in there around the fountain where they hang out. She was terrified and believed she was going to be mass assaulted. Luckily an adult student of mine walking through the park recognized her and was able to assist.

That was the final straw for us living in Ashford. We sold up and moved on after 5 years living there. During that time you could see the immigration growing at a massive rate.

Edited by skookum