Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Battlefields Under Threat

Kowalski

The battlefields of Towton and Tewkesbury, which were critical moments during England’s Wars of the Roses, are both facing threats that could limit access to them by the public.

Part of the site of the Battle of Towton could be turned into a Traveller’s site if local authorities approve of a measure later this week. Selby District Council is meeting on January 8th to vote on whether or not to approve the construction of a Traveller’s site in an area known as the Gallops. This area is scheduled to be part of the new Towton battlefield boundary, but that change will not be implemented before the spring.

The Towton Battlefield Society and others have raised objections to allowing part of this heritage site, which in 1461 saw over 50,000 men fight over the control of England.

Jamie Adair, writing on her HistoryGot.com website, explains, “Towton is not only a battlefield location, it’s also a mass gravesite for approximately 50,000 people and a source of rich archeological evidence. Respect for the people who died at the site, regardless of how vainglorious the reason, is one reason not to allow construction on Towton.”

Link: http://www.medievalists.net/2014/01/06/fighting-to-preserve-two-wars-of-the-roses-battlefields/

I was really surprised to read this! Considering the rich archeological evidence at both sites. I hope reason prevails and the sites are left alone.....

• Like 2

People just don't give a flying rat's patoot about anything anymore. Nothing. Makes me sick.

• Like 1

People just don't give a flying rat's patoot about anything anymore. Nothing. Makes me sick.

They actually found a mass grave at Towton not that long ago. Could be more people buried out there.....

• Like 1

Of course there are people buried out there. It was a battlefield ffs. Not all dead get carried away for a nice tidy burial. But do these people care? Noooooooooooooo!!!

• Like 3

But that being said, everyspot could be claimed an archeological field - where do we draw the line? land is a limited commodity. Not saying this piece should be developed...but... sooner or later i'm sure it will be for better or worse.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no!!! I would hate to see such an important part of history destroyed!