Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Visit from a AA friend

markdohle

I had a friend come by for a visit today with a young friend. Both belong to AA. I know that AA gets a lot of criticism from outsiders as well as those who tried it and left. Yet from my experience, those who stay, do the steps, are the humblest, most loving people you will ever want to know. They know themselves, know what they need to do. do the program, and when they fall, the take responsibility and get back on the wagon. The AA is a good community to belong too if you have trouble with alcohol. Or with drugs, or some other problem that has taken control of life.

Like any other community it has it's problems. People are a different levels of development, others or on the fringe, some don’t know what they are doing there, yet it works for those who stay the journey. We all need community; we also need wise people that will lead us. In AA those who have had it the roughest, are often the healers of the movement, giving encouragement, love, and hope. They know that the only real failure is not getting back up and starting again the journey.

God seems to reach us, to heal us, in or weakest point of contact. When we learn of our need, our wounds, our sins, it is then that we can began the slow journey towards healing.

They are wise, they speak of their ‘Higher Power’, that saves a lot of useless fighting and arguing and simply allows God’s grace to work.

• Like 3

I really wanted AA to work for me, but while I tried my best to "fake it until I make it", I just didn't really understand what a higher power was, though I thought I might have an idea at the time. People like me, who have trouble in understanding or feeling a connection with a higher power, just fall through the cracks of AA, and it becomes just going through motions. This is a crucial weakness in the whole AA plan.

Luckily, while AA didn't end up working for me due to my lack of being able to base my fight with the aid of a known and trusted higher power, a higher power found me later on in life, and I was just able to quit drugs/drinking overnight. Even cigarettes not too long later. It's been a couple years now; longer than I ever made with any group. I still don't know what this higher power is exactly, but it is there, I know now. Labels aren't as important as feeling that connection. You can't fake that feeling, despite what your good natured intentions are.

Long story short, AA is perfect for some, great for others, good for others still, bad for some, and terrible for others. Like anything else in life I guess. It's great that there is the option.

• Like 3

I really wanted AA to work for me, but while I tried my best to "fake it until I make it", I just didn't really understand what a higher power was, though I thought I might have an idea at the time. People like me, who have trouble in understanding or feeling a connection with a higher power, just fall through the cracks of AA, and it becomes just going through motions. This is a crucial weakness in the whole AA plan.

Luckily, while AA didn't end up working for me due to my lack of being able to base my fight with the aid of a known and trusted higher power, a higher power found me later on in life, and I was just able to quit drugs/drinking overnight. Even cigarettes not too long later. It's been a couple years now; longer than I ever made with any group. I still don't know what this higher power is exactly, but it is there, I know now. Labels aren't as important as feeling that connection. You can't fake that feeling, despite what your good natured intentions are.

Long story short, AA is perfect for some, great for others, good for others still, bad for some, and terrible for others. Like anything else in life I guess. It's great that there is the option.

Yes that is true. No one way works for everyone, I am glad you found something that works for you. I think it is at times better to have a higher power, but not be able to limit or name it. Good luck on your path my friend.

peace

mark

AA helps a lot of people ..but iam sure all these places have thete bad side

• Like 1

AA helps a lot of people ..but iam sure all these places have thete bad side

Yeah of course.

Peace

Mark

Ok, I love this post. Let me first say, Only, I know what you mean about getting connecting with 'something'. I think that is what has happened to me. I do believe we all have our beliefs, or lack there of, that means the most to ourselves, and no one can tear us apart from that. No matter how some may try, it's in our hearts. So, this is personal.

The thing is, I might be assuming that I know this about AA, I could be wrong. But there seems to be the higher power element that seems to fuel the AA steps, right? It's not for everyone, considering not everyone believes the same thing, or they do not believe. Isn't there a secular program, that would seem to work for most individuals? I would think there should be. I think the OP put it best, it's a life long journey, and you have to come back from the set backs. It's not a one time only cure all and that's it. I don't think a belief system is needed for that. Isn't it a label, sorry I feel this is the only way I can put it, that when you're an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic for life, no matter if you haven't touched alcohol since one has become clean and sober? Very secular way of looking at it. One needs the strength to keep going, and I know how tough that is, but there are many ways one can get that strength, it doesn't always come from one certain area.

• Like 1

Ok, I love this post. Let me first say, Only, I know what you mean about getting connecting with 'something'. I think that is what has happened to me. I do believe we all have our beliefs, or lack there of, that means the most to ourselves, and no one can tear us apart from that. No matter how some may try, it's in our hearts. So, this is personal.

The thing is, I might be assuming that I know this about AA, I could be wrong. But there seems to be the higher power element that seems to fuel the AA steps, right? It's not for everyone, considering not everyone believes the same thing, or they do not believe. Isn't there a secular program, that would seem to work for most individuals? I would think there should be. I think the OP put it best, it's a life long journey, and you have to come back from the set backs. It's not a one time only cure all and that's it. I don't think a belief system is needed for that. Isn't it a label, sorry I feel this is the only way I can put it, that when you're an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic for life, no matter if you haven't touched alcohol since one has become clean and sober? Very secular way of looking at it. One needs the strength to keep going, and I know how tough that is, but there are many ways one can get that strength, it doesn't always come from one certain area.

Some people in AA use the group as their higher power.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

Isn't it a label, sorry I feel this is the only way I can put it, that when you're an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic for life, no matter if you haven't touched alcohol since one has become clean and sober?

Yeah, which is why I had to laugh before I tore my hair out when I heard a commercial on TV by some seedy, fake actor for a rehab facility say: "I used to be an addict, and now I'm not, thanks to _________!"

Ana addictive mind will still act as one if the person's favorite addiction isn't fed. t's just the way some people's minds work. Alcohol was never even my 'drug of choice' for most of my time using drugs, but I went to AA anyway (like most do regardless of drug choice) because it's for addicts. The addictive mind will always work like one. The trick is to find healthy things to get 'addicted' to; things that are easier to control/manage.

• Like 1

Some people in AA use the group as their higher power.

Peace

mark

I can understand that, I think, which ever works for them.

Yeah, which is why I had to laugh before I tore my hair out when I heard a commercial on TV by some seedy, fake actor for a rehab facility say: "I used to be an addict, and now I'm not, thanks to _________!"

Me too! Everytime I see that commercial and that guy saying that, I can't help scream 'Bull!' I would not go there for help, in my opinion. I don't think one would be successful.
Ana addictive mind will still act as one if the person's favorite addiction isn't fed. t's just the way some people's minds work. Alcohol was never even my 'drug of choice' for most of my time using drugs, but I went to AA anyway (like most do regardless of drug choice) because it's for addicts. The addictive mind will always work like one. The trick is to find healthy things to get 'addicted' to; things that are easier to control/manage.

That is what I always thought. In which, I think why a lot of people, from my experience, are able to heal and get better. This is a more logical way of seeing it.
  • Like 1

Since this is an AA thread I will post this story again.

A friend knows someone that goes to AA, and this is the story the person heard from the group.A guy did not want to pray to a higher power.AA told him to pray, and humble himself to an inanimate object.He started to worship the radiator in his room.The guy has been sober for several years to this day.

Spirit's a Spirit, but tame, and get to know the Animal so one does not act like one.