Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Satanic Statue

Mobhitmusicman

If this is what it has boiled down to and things like this are that people can concentrate on these days, we are doomed.

Instead of worrying about artwork in government buildings we should worry about who is working in these buildings and running the government.

• Like 1

It made me smile "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

Real awkward situation for decision makers. :)

• Like 3

That's not Satan. The sketch is made after a 19th century drawing of Baphomet by Eliphas Levy.

Baphomet.png

• Like 1

Yes Thyra, I smiled at that as well, it just seems like the "Gay issue", where as the fundamentalists are picking and choosing what parts of the bible they want to follow. Where as Satanism is a recognized religion in the U.S., yet fundamentalist Christians are picking and choosing what religions they think fall under the First Amendment, despite the valid recognition! I say let it be built, or lose the Commandments!!!

• Like 2

I think no or all religion in the public spaces- I prefer none. Don't matter which kind/s. Though I did think it odd that I didn't find Satanic Temple in Oklahoma- it showed up as a group calling itself a religious organization in New York, but I didn't see it's accrediting as a recognized religious house or having anything to do with Oklahoma other than this statue. It almost sounds like they are doing it just to screw with people- I hate it when other people do it, no need for the satanists to up and start doing it too.

The Baphomet was an ancient Moorish symbolism associated with the Knights Templar and was a veneration of the Egyptian god Amun and Greek god Pan and should NOT be confused with the psychological devil.

Baphomet.png

• Like 1

wow so it's kind of like Santa?

children sit in Santa's lap.

I guess adults sit on Satan's lap to get inspiration lol

"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.

Seems they have a "Satan Clause."

• Like 3

Baphomet is the French mistranslation of Muhhamad from returning home Templars that thought Muslims were idol worshippers.

All these attributes of the Goat, and this, that is from Occultists over the Centuries since the Crusades.It's made up, and has no connection to older mythologies no matter what spin one puts on it.

• Like 1

If it were a local group I would have less of a problem with it. A group from halfway across the country has no business pushing the issue on folks from Oklahoma ..if it was to represent the values and belief of locals sure...why not? In this case it is just being done to cause problems and gain press ..

• Like 3

That's not Satan. The sketch is made after a 19th century drawing of Baphomet by Eliphas Levy.

Baphomet.png

Christians have arbitrarily defined any god (or lack thereof) that is not Christian, as a devil. For example, Devil's Tower in Wyoming, the Seven Devils Mountains in Idaho and Hell's Canyon on the Oregon/Idaho line all originally had names of Indian gods. The statue is just their chickens coming home to roost.

I wonder what they'd do if the local mosque wanted to erect a statue of The Prophet? Or, we instituted prayer in public school by having the kids kneel down, face Mecca and recite a few passages from the Koran?

Doug

Who does not see that the same power that can establish Christianity as a state religion to the exclusion of all others, can establish any sect of Christianity to the exclusion of all others? --James Monroe

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

If it were a local group I would have less of a problem with it. A group from halfway across the country has no business pushing the issue on folks from Oklahoma ..if it was to represent the values and belief of locals sure...why not? In this case it is just being done to cause problems and gain press ..

That's the argument that's being made by the wingnuts, but will it stand up in court? There are several lawsuits pending over the Ten Commandments statue.

Doug

I think it should be a non issue and all religions emblems should be kept out of government buildings, separation of church and state. There's a lot of religions out there are they going to make room for them all?

There are much more important things people should be concerned about than this.

This thing is ugly.

• Like 2

all religions emblems should be kept out of government buildings, separation of church and state. There's a lot of religions out there are they going to make room for them all?

There are much more important things people should be concerned about than this.

:clap: Bravo

• Like 1

I think they have illustrated a wonderful point.

The creators behind this idea should get a pat on the back for thinking outside the box.

I've no issue with religion, but the 10 Commandments have no place in a Public Government operated building. Church and State SHOULD be seperated.

• Like 4

Freedom of religion is only for the right religion. They need to take down the commandments and put up a copy of the Constitution. That is what it is about. I want to put up a statue of Gandoff.

• Like 2

I agree with church and State being separated. If I choose to live in a way, it should have no bearing on how you live. I do not desire to live in a theocracy. I like living in a nation where people have different ideas, thoughts and viewpoints.

• Like 1

And one of these GreenmansGod

YodaStatue022811-thumb-330x247-58013.jpg

Jedi's are a recognized religion afterall

I'm not even a Jedi, but I'd go for that. No joke. He's easier to understand than the courts.

• Like 2

I think Yoda would get the point across better, being a less offensive figure to highlight the real problem with the Ten Commandments monument.

• Like 1

'Baphomet' is symbolic of the Great Work.

Although not having any direct relation to 'Satan', it would fit the 'Satanic' category quite nicely imo.

Don't get me wrong, I personally like the Ten. But... in the interest of freedom of (and from) religion, perhaps a statue of Mr. Spock would be the best choice (Yeah, I know, I'm a believer and logic has no place in bla bla bla). It is illogical to honor or exclude any faith.

A Q&D version:

thelogicalstatue_zps8dd460c0.jpg

Edited by RedSquirrel
  • Like 4

The Baphomet was an ancient Moorish symbolism associated with the Knights Templar and was a veneration of the Egyptian god Amun and Greek god Pan and should NOT be confused with the psychological devil.

Baphomet.png

Psychological devil?