Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happened to the Ark of the Covenant ?

UM-Bot

A recently translated Hebrew text has offered a tantalizing new reference to several ancient treasures.

The text, known as the "Treatise of the Vessels", appears to describe what happened to a number of ancient treasures from King Solomon's temple including the fabled Ark of the Covenant, the biblical chest said to contain the original stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...of-the-covenant

• Like 2

Now all we need is the relevant maps to go with the references of the age in question ...

~

I've heard that the Ark of the Covenant is in Axum, Ethiopia, in a temple.

• Like 2

I heard that solomon gave it to the son he had with the queen of sheba.

• Like 1

TAbotats are not the Ark of the COvenant ~ which is what is in the TEmple in Axum ...

I heard that it miraculously was mentioned first after the fall of Samaria with the influx of Samaritans in Judea... they found the Pentateuch by "accident" while working on the temple and that it "demonstrated" that the Samaritans and Judeans were of the same tribe.

(See The Bible Unearthed Finkelstein et al, 2005)

In any case, if the thingy ever existed it is either still in Samaria (the only likely place with an ancient Jewish or proto-Jewish temple because the best we can find in J'lem around that time is a chapel) or was destroyed by the Assyrians.

It's an anceint mystery, kind of like what the fox says.

• Like 1

What is the provenance of the "Treatise of the Vessels"?

Can it be granted any validity in what it claims, or is it simply another article of faith, written on the back of other such articles?

Noah's Ark, the ark of the covenant, and Jimmy Hoffa walk into a Bar.Noah's Ark orders a "S** on the Beach", the Ark of the Covenant orders a "Bloody Mary".The Bartender asked Jimmy Hoffa what will he be having.Jimmy says he'll have just a plain Soda, because he is driving.

• Like 1

Nothing can happen to something that does not exist.

If you think that the Ark of the Covenant was stolen by the Babylonians, you completely misunderstand the bible. Several attempts have been made to steal the Ark of the Covenant. Read about those attempts. If God doesn't want it found it won't be found. If God gave it to a certain people to hide it, then it will go with them until the alotted time. Many scientist and people believe or theorize that the Ark of the Covenant is some ancient artifact that can be approached and even touched under specific conditions. But how can they understand what it truly is if they cannot understand the truth of God, how and where he exists. If they do not truly know God, then without the proper conditions they are going to find themselves dead.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, who told you that? Dave down the pub?

That is an Ethiopian myth, hardly with any substance as we know now that Sheba was not in Ethiopia.

From the article:

But unlike the Indiana Jones movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark," the text leaves the exact location of the Ark unclear and states that it, and the other treasures, "shall not be revealed until the day of the coming of the Messiah son of David …" putting it out of reach of any would-be treasure seeker.

Whether that is true or not remains to be seen, I guess.

Sorry just makes me laugh how people talk about it. The damn thing never existed yet people in the year 2014 are telling each other on a forum how they "heard" it was taken to wherever in a matter of fact way, like a family friend who had relatives i the supposed period, told them or something.pretty comical.

• Like 2

From the article:

But unlike the Indiana Jones movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark," the text leaves the exact location of the Ark unclear and states that it, and the other treasures, "shall not be revealed until the day of the coming of the Messiah son of David …" putting it out of reach of any would-be treasure seeker.

Whether that is true or not remains to be seen, I guess.

And that would be in quite a while. Don't hold your breath

I haven't been to Ethiopia, so I don't know if it is true or not. I only said I had "heard" it was there. But as none of us has been in that temple and has not seen what is there, who the heck knows? As for the Queen of Sheba, where was she, then?

Excellent post...One of my favorites. I remember reading that the last official recording of the Ark of the Covenant, saw it taken from Rome to North Africa by the Vandals,, who in turn had the Ark taken from them by the Byzantines. The Emperor Justinian, then built a church, in Constantinople, in the exact dimensions of Solomon's temple, and housed the relic there, only to remove the Ark to a secret location cause the relic was said to be responsible for a plague and other various misfortunes that gripped the city. My guess is that it's gathering dust in some Christian monastery.

I haven't been to Ethiopia, so I don't know if it is true or not. I only said I had "heard" it was there. But as none of us has been in that temple and has not seen what is there, who the heck knows? As for the Queen of Sheba, where was she, then?

There is actually a Ethiopian Christian cult that claims that the ark is in their cathedral, so you have not heard wrong. Now. whether that is true or not cannot be established as they let nobody in to see it.

• Like 2

If you think that the Ark of the Covenant was stolen by the Babylonians, you completely misunderstand the bible. Several attempts have been made to steal the Ark of the Covenant. Read about those attempts. If God doesn't want it found it won't be found. If God gave it to a certain people to hide it, then it will go with them until the alotted time. Many scientist and people believe or theorize that the Ark of the Covenant is some ancient artifact that can be approached and even touched under specific conditions. But how can they understand what it truly is if they cannot understand the truth of God, how and where he exists. If they do not truly know God, then without the proper conditions they are going to find themselves dead.

Of course, there are other explanations.

If God felt strongly on the subject he probably would have locked this thread!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, who told you that? Dave down the pub?

No its a belief and common theory held especially by Ethiopia. I read about it from several sources.