Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happened to the Ark of the Covenant ?

UM-Bot

So, hmmm. That means God (the God of love) broke one of his own commandments. Any lawyers here?

No need. QM summed it up with his post at top of this page.

I believe that if the Ark exists then it belongs in a museum, not locked up in a church in Ethiopia, or wherever else it may be. If it is there and I feel that's a big if, then why not allow others to see it? What harm could come of it? From an archaeological standpoint it would be an important artifact, and it wouldn't be any less important from a cultural point of view.

Edited by Uncle Matt

This is for the Dan Brown thrill seeker types, or for those that like an offbeat coincidence to ponder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decemviri "Decemviri" (Commission of ten men to write up a code of law)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Twelve_Tables "Twelve Tables" (Twelve Ivory/Bronze? tablets of Laws)

http://en.wikipedia....the_Three_Gauls "Sanctuary of the Three Gauls" (Altar of lugdunum)

Augustus, and tiberius Caesar in France.

Note; If the links do not work, then Google inbetween the qoutation marks.

post-142153-0-04698300-1389299306_thumb.

post-142153-0-08805200-1389299313_thumb.

post-142153-0-07030800-1389299317_thumb.

post-142153-0-81530800-1389299326_thumb.

post-142153-0-15753300-1389299337_thumb.

post-142153-0-92205300-1389299347_thumb.

I thought there was more than 10 commandments. The ten we know of are not the true amount passed down.

There were 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) described in the Torah. They may have numbered 611 plus the first two that Moses heard directly from Yahweh (our current first 2). The Mitzvot were divided up into categories. Most of them had to do with religious practices (for the priests) and many had to do with daily life. There is a great deal of academic debate surrounding this, but the jist I get is it's believed the remaining 8 commandments were derived from those Mitzvot that applied to everyone's universally (not just priests or women or men) acceptable behavior. Lot's of material can be found out there on this topic if you're interested. Just Google 613 commandments and enjoy.

Cheers

• Like 2

you don't think the Ark exists or ever existed?

I think it never existed.

Of course, there are other explanations.

If God felt strongly on the subject he probably would have locked this thread!

Do you think that this thread is a threat to his devine work? Can anyone of us offer even the slightest bit of worry to Gods plan? Of course not. We may talk about it, but it's like everything else that's to be find, it won't be found until it's time. But more so till the right person is made ready and the earth is prepared for it. We still have a few prophecies that have to be met before it's time for the Ark of the Covenant to make it's debut.

I think it very well could have and most probably did and still does but could be so old and messed up (even unto smitherines) it is unrecognizable by form.

• Like 1

Do you think that this thread is a threat to his devine work? Can anyone of us offer even the slightest bit of worry to Gods plan? Of course not. We may talk about it, but it's like everything else that's to be find, it won't be found until it's time. But more so till the right person is made ready and the earth is prepared for it. We still have a few prophecies that have to be met before it's time for the Ark of the Covenant to make it's debut.

I do like a good fairy tale...

Given the number of detailed descriptions from multiple sources there is little doubt that the Ark existed. What's most in doubt is the nature of the thing and what happened to it. And, was there only one?

I bet the Babylonians and Ancient Egyptians had more than just a little idea of what it was ~

Given the number of detailed descriptions from multiple sources there is little doubt that the Ark existed. What's most in doubt is the nature of the thing and what happened to it. And, was there only one?

Apart from the bible, what are those multiple sources ?

Anyway like i said earlier, it has already been found by the Americans, and locked up in a warehouse :D

Egyptian Procession Carrying an Ark

egyptian-procession-ark-poles.jpg

This sketch contains a colored illustration of ancient Egyptian priests carrying an ark on long staves, similar to the ancient Hebrew Levitical priests in Old Testament times. The scene is from the stele of Meri-meri, the treasurer of Thebes (19th Dynasty) and depicts an ark being carried in ritual procession by his servants. Other servants are carrying water jars. Click to see an enlarged image.

The Arks of The Egytians (sic)

Egyptian Arks or Sacred Chests

~

• Like 1

Egyptian Procession Carrying an Ark

egyptian-procession-ark-poles.jpg

~

How does that prove that the BIBLICAL ark is real?

How does that prove that the BIBLICAL ark is real?

Who said anything about proving anything ? If anything this proves that Arks are real ~ in ancient Egypt at least ~ :tu:

~

Who said anything about proving anything ? If anything this proves that Arks are real ~ in ancient Egypt at least ~ :tu:

~

Sorry i misunderstood you :cry:

• Like 1

Sorry i misunderstood you :cry:

No harm no foul no worries ~ :)

Edited by third_eye

Apart from the bible, what are those multiple sources ?

Anyway like i said earlier, it has already been found by the Americans, and locked up in a warehouse :D

Well, the "Bible" itself is not a single source. It is a collection of writings dating back a long time. The creation of the Torah (the first five books in the Bible) was the collection of Jewish knowledge at that time. Many copies of the same records were kept by different groups. Finding the Dead Sea Scrolls helps validate this in contemporary times.

After that it is mentioned many times in later stories: Samuel, Jeremiah, Kings and Chronicles all describe various doings with the Ark. Solomon built an entire Temple to house it.

Now, if you take issue with the veracity of ALL of these accounts that's a bigger discussion. As for what the thing actually was or did? That's a question a lot of us would love to know the answer to, fo sho.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

I don't think the second ark out of gold ever existed commission to be built by Bezalel,

Now Bezalel made the ark of acacia wood; its length was two and a half cubits, and its width one and a half cubits, and its height one and a half cubits; 2and he overlaid it with pure gold inside and out, and made a gold molding for it all around.…

Something of that value would have never been lost. In Deuternomy 10 ,3 it was said I Moses built that ark only out of wood.

And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.

that would be to one to find.

http://biblehub.com/...ronomy/10-3.htm

Edited by docyabut2

I don't think the second ark out of gold ever existed commission to be built by Bezalel,

Now Bezalel made the ark of acacia wood; its length was two and a half cubits, and its width one and a half cubits, and its height one and a half cubits; 2and he overlaid it with pure gold inside and out, and made a gold molding for it all around.…

http://biblehub.com/exodus/37-1.htm

Something of that value would have never been lost. In Deuternomy 10 ,3 it was said I Moses frist built that ark only out of wood.

And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.

that would be to one to find.

http://biblehub.com/...ronomy/10-3.htm

Edited by docyabut2

~

Was there really an open question to whether or not boxes were real?

--Jaylemurph

The Bible records such an incident. It is found in 2 Samuel 6:1-7. David is bringing the ark back to Jerusalem from Philistia. It is being carried on a cart rather than by the prescribed method of poles through rings on the sides of the ark. The cart shakes, and a man named Uzzah reaches out to steady the ark. As a result of his touching it, God killed him immediately. Now, does that mean that God struck him dead for profaning the Ark, or was the Ark itself the instrument of the man's death?

The Israelites knew not to touch the Ark. Uzzah wasn't paying attention and he more than likely acted out of reflex. As a result, unfortunately the Ark killed him, God didn't. Obviously it housed some kind of power that was deadly to nearly everyone. Regardless, if God audibly tells you not to do something and you do it anyway, even if it's a well intended accident...that's still on you.

Edited by WoIverine

The Israelites knew not to touch the Ark. Uzzah wasn't paying attention and he more than likely acted out of reflex. As a result, unfortunately the Ark killed him, God didn't. Obviously it housed some kind of power that was deadly to nearly everyone. Regardless, if God audibly tells you not to do something and you do it anyway, even if it's a well intended accident...that's still on you.

So your god kills people -- or at the very least impotently allows them to die via mechanisms he puts in place -- innocent of any blame or wrongdoing to keep in mindless adherence to an arbitrary rule?

That must be his reputed infinite power, goodness and mercy, there.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Was there really an open question to whether or not boxes were real?

--Jaylemurph

Who doubted about boxes being real ?

~

So your god kills people -- or at the very least impotently allows them to die via mechanisms he puts in place -- innocent of any blame or wrongdoing to keep in mindless adherence to an arbitrary rule?

That must be his reputed infinite power, goodness and mercy, there.

--Jaylemurph

Thats one of the big reasons why im an atheist. He is a mass murder, and still he wants us to obey him, because he is the god of love and compassion. :clap:

• Like 3