Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you believe in the power of numbers?

Paranoid Android

I suppose this is the best place for this topic, and for the record, I don't, just to clarify the thread title. Numerology, Astrology, power of numbers I really don't "believe". But nonetheless I wanted to share something I've found to be of interest. As some of you know, my dad passed away on December 14, (RIP). Exactly 14 years earlier, in precisely December 14, 1998 I witnessed the other great tragedy of my life, when I saw three friends drown at a beach. A year ago I jokingly commented on this coincidence, and noted how Koreans view the number 14 as an unlucky number.

Anyway, jump forward to 2014. I drove back down to Sydney for Christmas and the New Year (better with old friends than by myself, I reckon). Last Saturday I was having lunch when I glimpsed one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. Long story short, we began talking, and I honestly can't recall ever feeling so comfortable with anyone before. She reminds me a lot of my mother who passed away in November (RIP), especially how she looks at a person's inner working rather than the superficial, caring for the inside more than the out.

Apparently she's a Gemini - which meant nothing to me at first. Until I realised Gemini included the month of June. So just a few hours ago, I asked her what date in June she was born (wondering what luck may be) and, she said the 19th. By a royal stroke of luck, she was born on the same day as my mother (June 19), though naturally several decades later.

The past week I've been at her place, and she's been awesome. Don't get me wrong, we've only just met and for all I know we'll leave each other tomorrow and never see each other again. As said, I don't believe in numbers. But I thought I'd share the story to see what kind of reaction people may have, maybe in terms of the adage that boys grow up to find a woman just like their mother.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: just to be clear, this isn't a teenie-bopper "ooh, is my new relationship going to last" thread, I was just sharing what I thought was an interesting coincidence

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 4

No. 14 in the Tarot is Temperance and is described as "Patience, Self Control and Calm". Basically - Balance.

No. 19 is Rebirth (The Sun) Joy and happiness.

I wish you all of the above PA but overall I do believe more in synchronicity than in the power of numbers per se.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

I suppose this is the best place for this topic, and for the record, I don't, just to clarify the thread title. Numerology, Astrology, power of numbers I really don't "believe". But nonetheless I wanted to share something I've found to be of interest. As some of you know, my dad passed away on December 14, (RIP). Exactly 14 years earlier, in precisely December 14, 1998 I witnessed the other great tragedy of my life, when I saw three friends drown at a beach. A year ago I jokingly commented on this coincidence, and noted how Koreans view the number 14 as an unlucky number.

Anyway, jump forward to 2014. I drove back down to Sydney for Christmas and the New Year (better with old friends than by myself, I reckon). Last Saturday I was having lunch when I glimpsed one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. Long story short, we began talking, and I honestly can't recall ever feeling so comfortable with anyone before. She reminds me a lot of my mother who passed away in November (RIP), especially how she looks at a person's inner working rather than the superficial, caring for the inside more than the out.

Apparently she's a Gemini - which meant nothing to me at first. Until I realised Gemini included the month of June. So just a few hours ago, I asked her what date in June she was born (wondering what luck may be) and, she said the 19th. By a royal stroke of luck, she was born on the same day as my mother (June 19), though naturally several decades later.

The past week I've been at her place, and she's been awesome. Don't get me wrong, we've only just met and for all I know we'll leave each other tomorrow and never see each other again. As said, I don't believe in numbers. But I thought I'd share the story to see what kind of reaction people may have, maybe in terms of the adage that boys grow up to find a woman just like their mother.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: just to be clear, this isn't a teenie-bopper "ooh, is my new relationship going to last" thread, I was just sharing what I thought was an interesting coincidence

Sounds wonderful PA. Listen to the universe when it speaks in synchronous events.

• Like 3

Hello PA,

It has been a while since we have spoken. Glad to know that you have meet some one that who you really like. I do sense a soul bond of some kind with her.

I myself have researched the likelihood of repeating energetic cycles. A book that I read which had the insights and inspirations I align with was The Synchronicity Key by David Wilcock. Essentially the things you speak about are very likely to be events that repeat them self energetically in some way.

Best Wishes,

John

Any mathematician will tell you that numbers are indeed powerful - probably more powerful than anything else in the world.

• Like 1

i think coincidences with numbers are cool but i don't believe they have any 'powers' or magic

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

i think coincidences with numbers are cool but i don't believe they have any 'powers' or magic

"Magic" would only be something we don't fully understand yet.

Thanks for reading!

I don't believe in the power of numbers per-se outside of them being simple units of measure. but I do see the significance of them, and in specific, the subtle repeats and sometimes not so blatant meanings we give to them and are given by the cosmos. Such clues to deeper meaning shouldn't go unnoticed.. and I'm glad that in your case they havn't.

thanks for sharing!

I believe in the power of numbers. Numbers have very powerful frequencies. Just like colors.

• Like 1

PA,

You believe in God. You believe in the Bible as the word of God. Correct on both? Then you believe in numbers. How many days did creation take? How many times was Nebuchadnezzar told to wash himself in the river Jordon? How many people were crucified including Jesus? How many days was Jesus in the tomb? How many days did Jesus tell his disciples it would take to rebuild the temple? How many aspects make up God...I.e. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Numbers have power and they have a reason for being...I believe that to the nth degree.

I am an unofficial member of the so-called "Shadow Government"; the members are called "Shadow Agents". We do believe also in The Power Of Numbers, but, some of us do not believe in it though--including myself at most of the time. "11-11" is one of the strangest that I have heard a lot of people do talk about from time to time. For me, it's music. Music has numbers, too, you know. it is what creates the sounds; it's binary coding, right. I personally listen to the different types of music on the radio to get "signs", you know. These "signs" are events that the music sort of predicts an "event" or "events" in a really strange way. I started to experiment with this really off-the-wall-odd technique that stated a decade ago when I had started high school back in the year 1999. Nowadays, I still listen to random kinds of music on the radio to pick-up on any "signs" that I can comprehend, that I can get; you can even do this with-by watching television; here's an example; commercials--the "secret government" sends out "codes" that are really "messages" to us "Shadow Agents". For example: A commercial will have a "sign" that someone has an orange shirt with a gun; this is some tv show commercial. The next hour--or something--a guy with an orange shirt is killed on the local news. Another example, is that, you're watching your favorite tv show one day; a few days later, something similar that was said by one of the tv characters happens in real life--freaky, right. Those are a few out of the many ways that "they-them" send out "signs" to "us".

Like the number 13 has a "curse" to it and 7 is of "good luck", numbers are representative of symbolism in cultures. Last year 2013 should been an awful year for everyone then with the number 13 attached. The number "911" we associate with 9/11 (2001) is already the phone number for emergency services, and what a coincidence. And in L.A. county, the area codes "818" and "626" are considered lucky in Korean culture, including Korean communities developed in the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys. Address numbers containing 4, esp. the first or second number of a four-digit considered good luck, is a real estate phenomenon in the Chinese communities there as well.

[media=]

[/media]

And from Schoolhouse Rock In the 70s, a song about number 3 is a "magic" number, but I never recall a song about the powers of ten they discussed in math class back in school, that comes in handy in multiplication (and division too). 10x10=100x10=1000x10=10,000 and so on. And the number of invisibility: zero (0) holds the most mystery, including in the field of mathematics. I wish to have more fun with mathematics which I find to be a hard subject. No wonder science, history and English were easier, because you discuss theories...math requires an exact right answer or you're simply "wrong". xD

Edited by Mike D boy

I am an unofficial member of the so-called "Shadow Government"; the members are called "Shadow Agents". We do believe also in The Power Of Numbers, but, some of us do not believe in it though--including myself at most of the time. "11-11" is one of the strangest that I have heard a lot of people do talk about from time to time. For me, it's music. Music has numbers, too, you know. it is what creates the sounds; it's binary coding, right. I personally listen to the different types of music on the radio to get "signs", you know. These "signs" are events that the music sort of predicts an "event" or "events" in a really strange way. I started to experiment with this really off-the-wall-odd technique that stated a decade ago when I had started high school back in the year 1999. Nowadays, I still listen to random kinds of music on the radio to pick-up on any "signs" that I can comprehend, that I can get; you can even do this with-by watching television; here's an example; commercials--the "secret government" sends out "codes" that are really "messages" to us "Shadow Agents". For example: A commercial will have a "sign" that someone has an orange shirt with a gun; this is some tv show commercial. The next hour--or something--a guy with an orange shirt is killed on the local news. Another example, is that, you're watching your favorite tv show one day; a few days later, something similar that was said by one of the tv characters happens in real life--freaky, right. Those are a few out of the many ways that "they-them" send out "signs" to "us".

So, we're just gonna ignore this then?

...fine <_<

I believe that the universe can be explained via numbers, I believe that somewhere within the sequence of Pi the universe is laid out.

So, while I don't believe in the magic of numbers.

I believe in the power of math

PA,

You believe in God. You believe in the Bible as the word of God. Correct on both? Then you believe in numbers. How many days did creation take? How many times was Nebuchadnezzar told to wash himself in the river Jordon? How many people were crucified including Jesus? How many days was Jesus in the tomb? How many days did Jesus tell his disciples it would take to rebuild the temple? How many aspects make up God...I.e. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Numbers have power and they have a reason for being...I believe that to the nth degree.

I believe in numbers as symbolic of cultural ideas. To clarify, I meant that I don't believe numbers can be used to predict events or link seemingly random events to some cosmic "plan". But nevertheless, the coincidences are striking (I mean, 1-in-365 is not like winning a lottery, but when the best and worst of my life can be linked to specific dates, it begins to look a little more plausible).

I don´t think (know) it is magic or so but sometimes it is strange how numbers are matching.

My example here:

http://www.unexplain...topic=258684

Edited by toast

So, we're just gonna ignore this then?

...fine <_<

I believe that the universe can be explained via numbers, I believe that somewhere within the sequence of Pi the universe is laid out.

So, while I don't believe in the magic of numbers.

I believe in the power of math

I was doing a damn fine job of ignoring it before you quoted it, just saying.

• Like 1

I believe in numbers as symbolic of cultural ideas. To clarify, I meant that I don't believe numbers can be used to predict events or link seemingly random events to some cosmic "plan". But nevertheless, the coincidences are striking (I mean, 1-in-365 is not like winning a lottery, but when the best and worst of my life can be linked to specific dates, it begins to look a little more plausible).

Hello PA,

it is worth looking into the birthday paradox IMO.

The 1in 365 may not be quite right. At first glance it seems you are loooking at a pool of two people/events, however if all the unspoken 'special people/dates/events' in your life that have not fallen on said dates are added to the pool as possible pairings the probabilty of this occuring is far less spectacular as it may first seem.

I see. I think each number has its own frequency...and our brains...each individual brain, is tuned into it's own frequency of the Universe. I guess you could say I have a very metaphysical belief in the Universe as having Intelligence. It might be the same thing as what is commonly known as God...but there is something to numbers and the Universe. There are just too many coincidences otherwise. So...the best idea I have as to what is going on with numbers is that they have there own frequency...and we tune into certain numbers more than others. It's like almost a predestined path via the frequency of numbers. It is so hard to explain so forgive me for just mumbling.

Hello PA,

it is worth looking into the birthday paradox IMO.

The 1in 365 may not be quite right. At first glance it seems you are loooking at a pool of two people/events, however if all the unspoken 'special people/dates/events' in your life that have not fallen on said dates are added to the pool as possible pairings the probabilty of this occuring is far less spectacular as it may first seem.

Perhaps, but the days in question are so specific:

December 14, 1998 - watched three friends drown, worst day of my life

December 14, 2012 - 14 years later, dad passed away, worst day of my life

November 29, 2013 - mum passed away. Less than two months later I meet a woman who I connect with easier than anyone I've every meet in my life. In large part I recognise aspects of my mother. Turns out both mum and her share the same birthday.

It's not like I'm linking my brother's birthday, my own, my parents anniversary, my graduation ceremony, the date I got my licence, had my first kiss, wad baptised, went overseas, or any other number of significant dates. They are very specific dates intrinsically linked.

But I see your meaning.

Perhaps, but the days in question are so specific:

December 14, 1998 - watched three friends drown, worst day of my life

December 14, 2012 - 14 years later, dad passed away, worst day of my life

November 29, 2013 - mum passed away. Less than two months later I meet a woman who I connect with easier than anyone I've every meet in my life. In large part I recognise aspects of my mother. Turns out both mum and her share the same birthday.

It's not like I'm linking my brother's birthday, my own, my parents anniversary, my graduation ceremony, the date I got my licence, had my first kiss, wad baptised, went overseas, or any other number of significant dates. They are very specific dates intrinsically linked.

But I see your meaning.

Hey PA, ok I see your point and understand that the birthday paradox doesnt quite fit.

thought I would throw it into the mix.

Sorry to hear about your losses, thats a very tough year indeed, I do hope the lady brings you new found happiness.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tossing up whether to post this or not. Compared to the other similarities this really is stretching coincidence, and I think ultimately falls into the category I argued against just a few posts ago in terms of coincidence and confirmation bias.

My auntie (mum's sister) believes in the power of numerology, astrology, crystals, that type of thing. On the night mum passed away, halfway around the world a South African musician named Gavern had just finished writing his newest song, which he titled Crystal Clear. He noted on some social media or other (blog? I really don't know this is my auntie's story) that as he finished it he saw outside a comet-type phenomena in the sky, but enquiries to observatories came up empty about what it might be. The comet was a perfect blue colour. My auntie, being the believer sort, emailed Gavern, saying she thinks the comet was mum leaving this world (her eyes were just as blue as the comet, though no one's quite yet shown me how one blue item that one party saw was exactly the same shade as another blue item which only the other party ever saw - but I'm not going to argue my auntie's faith at least not in her presence, I don't yet feel like committing suicide). The title of the song that was just finished was "Crystal Clear", and my auntie who also believes in crystals shared how she had a unique crystal that she had given mum just earlier on theday she passed, a healing item that helped my auntie find comfort in mum's passing. The south African artist has since began referring to the song he wrote by my mother's name in interviews (I'm sure there are links if you'd like to search).

Making matters even stranger, getting back to my OP, the girl I met who reminded me so much of mum, who shares the same birthdate as her, she's only been in Australia for 9 years. She was born and grew up in South Africa, the same country as this musician was born and calls home.

As noted, there's ( at least in my view) much more speculation and hypothesis here than there is in the original post, and I'm willing to admit I'm stretching for connections. But for the sake of interest I thought I'd share this new information that I just learned about today.

Well, like I've said earlier, it's the synchronicity of events that is poignant in life. What speaks to the heart cannot be ignored and sometimes the universe gives us good reason not to ignore it. Whether you have been introduced to a dear kindred spirit and friend or something more is not what is relevant at this time, what seems to matter most is that a level of familiarity and comfort is evident, you feel like you know her well enough to be comfortable in her presence and the universe reinforces that feeling of familiarity to you.

Edited by libstaK

Thanks for reading!

I'm sorry to hear about your father's lost. I lost someone too back then when I was a kid. He used to be involved in the Pearl Harbor war, but was pretty cool during my childhood. I kinda miss him though. I can't say whether your father's death and your three friends have any statistical significance. I think death has no fixed nature in chance. It just happens at random points at any other random time. Although the tragic events on that 14 timeline does sound significant personally.

I wouldn't think too much about that woman having the same birthday as your mother. I can't really point out what are the odds of her and your mother having the same birthday unless you tell me approximately how many people were around you. If there were more than 23 people around you during your lunchtime, then the chances of two people sharing the same birthday is greater than 50%. That doesn't sound statistically significant at all. It is possible that the woman you liked was from the large group of people and increased the chances of sharing same birthdays. I could be wrong, of course.