Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white sharks 'live for 70 years'

Still Waters

Great white sharks live far longer than was previously thought.

Using a new technique to age the tissues of these impressive creatures, scientists have identified a male great white that lived into its 70s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25655666

I wonder if they continue to grow until they die like crocodiles?

• Like 1

I wonder if they continue to grow until they die like crocodiles?

Most fish do. So if there is a 70 year old shark out there.... may god help us all.

I don't think any 70 year old fish would crawl out of the ocean and flatten any great cities ~ so no fear ...

It would be nice to have even one out there ~ its a sign of a healthy ecologically sound planet ~ a million years ago the oceans were probably full of such aged creatures

• Like 1

Well, at the rate that we (humans) harvest (sharks), at a rate of 100 million per anum, that life expectancy will be shortened significantly.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

That shark has wisdom... I picture a bearded shark telling stories of times before to all the baby sharks... They listen so intently, like good little babies...

• Like 2

That shark has wisdom... I picture a bearded shark telling stories of times before to all the baby sharks... They listen so intently, like good little babies...

And then he eats them :P

I wonder if there is a difference between male and female longevity. Females are noticeably larger,maybe they live longer too.

• Like 1

Apparently, Great White Sharks can live to a 140 years... but eating all that scuba gear and surf boards shortens their life span considerably...

• Like 1