Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snowden downloaded 1.7 million intel files

questionmark

A classified Pentagon report concludes that former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden downloaded 1.7 million intelligence files from U.S. agencies in the single largest theft of secrets in the history of the United States, according to lawmakers.

The report, they said, asserts that the breach has the potential to put military personnel at risk.

“This report confirms my greatest fears — Snowden’s real acts of betrayal place America’s military men and women at greater risk. Snowden’s actions are likely to have lethal consequences for our troops in the field,” Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said in a statement.

Read more

And all this begs one question, regardless of what you think of Snowden: What kind of idiots are in charge of intelligence security in the country?

• Like 4

So some one can download that amount of data from the NSA without it being detected? Well now I really feel good about them storing our private data :gun:

“This report confirms my greatest fears — Snowden’s real acts of betrayal place America’s military men and women at greater risk. Snowden’s actions are likely to have lethal consequences for our troops in the field,” Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said in a statement.

LOL! @Mike Rogers. Lets mention the troops to distract attention from who the real wrongdoers are here! :lol: either our officials believe us to be very naive or they are very naive.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

There should have been an alert due to the shear volume of files. The IT dept. where I work would have noticed.

not if he was sys admin there, or had administartive priviliges. he was the IT dep. there. he was not a guy from the street, he was supporting the network.

just like every network he had to log in, so the system knew he was on line, he could have many legit reasons to copy files, and system let him, becouse he had pernision from network policy.

it really should not be a question how he did it. and with todays prosessors, he could have coppied millions of files way faster than 100 files could be transfered 50 years ago.

it is kinda silly to judge computers today by 50 years old standarts.

Edited by aztek

There should have been an alert due to the shear volume of files. The IT dept. where I work would have noticed.

Not only that, even though in my Air Force days the data storing on computers was much more limited, if you ever happened to access a classified file that you usually did not need it took less than 20 minutes before your phone rang and somebody wanted to know if you had a good reason to access it. I can't imagine getting away with 170 files at the time...never mind 1.7 million.

• Like 4

not if he was sys admin there, or had administartive priviliges. he was the IT dep. there. he was not a guy from the street, he was supporting the network.

Ahh....I wonder why they went with a contractor? I'm assuming the are free-lance type workers? I'd be wary as an employer subing out something as critical as my IT system.

i wonder the same thing. but i doubt it would make much difference if he was a army enlisted, or even officer.

didn't we put a us army private for 35 years in jail for doing same thing? forgot his name. he was supplying files to wikileaks.

Ahh....I wonder why they went with a contractor? I'm assuming the are free-lance type workers? I'd be wary as an employer subing out something as critical as my IT system.

Because some people actually believe that contractors are "cheaper"...and now we got the bill.

• Like 1