Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
spartan max2

young people in japan not wanting sex!

31 posts in this topic

Solipsi Rai

I'm not too worried on Japanese society's attitudes toward sex and relationship, I wondered what about America's puritanical-Victorian age-midcentury (1950s) attitude with sex made us uncomfortable with sexuality as it is. Societies that have a poor view of sexuality won't develop strong personal relationships, less marriages and less births as a result. However, American culture does have a more positive portrayal of marriage and families, or we won't have a higher birth rate than most developed countries, though over half of marriages end in divorce and generally debated is if marriage is becoming a failed institution. We're busy in our lives working and working AND working (LOL) for two-income earner households to maintain marriage and the heat of the relationship, thus it's believed could raise the risk of divorce for them.

Reading the posts on this topic, Japan seem to not taken seriously on sexual health issues and the modern way of life has harmed relationships. Young people today in Japan and other industrialized nations are focused on college, employment and having fun as individuals instead of pursuing "gotta find love/dating/marry right away". Nobody is slowing down in this regard, so their priorities can't be related to intimacy and sexual matters when so many young adults don't have a love partner to begin with. Withholding marriage and children for a more affluent life and professional career ambitions isn't always a bad idea, but the marital incidence and natural growth (birth) rates in the first world was affected. Japan is a grand example of younger demographics are focusing on personal attributes instead of starting a love life.

Myles

Another study found that a third of people under 30[/url] had never dated at all

Wouldn't roughly a third of the people under 30 also be under 10?

• Like 1

CaitSith

Wouldn't roughly a third of the people under 30 also be under 10?

I would like to think they meant between 18 (is 18 a legal adult in Japan?) and 30, rather than the unsettling thought of them conducting a sex survey outside an Elementary School.

Frank Merton

My offhand and not scientific observation when I'm in Japan and dealing with Japanese businessmen is that they take trivialities having to do with cleanliness and health too seriously, and I would guess this extends to fear about STDs.

• Like 1

OverSword

If sex was devalued so badly, no one would want it.

Thus these kids that don't want it.

Neognosis
This is I think largely the rule in most of Asia. A man of means may be allowed a mistress in addition to his wife, but this is considered less than noble, and to change mistresses would be unheard of. It's not that prostitution doesn't exist, but it is sure as hell kept secret.

Yea, they do a fantastic job of keeping it secret in Thailand.

Has anyone considered that if you put a bunch of people on an island and make overcrowding an issue, a natural response is to either cheapen life and kill a lot of people (as in japanese history) or to lessen the biological urge for sex (as in right now?)