Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SpaceShipTwo Celebrates the New Year

Waspie_Dwarf

Liftoff! SpaceShipTwo celebrates the new year with test flight

MOJAVE, Calif. — Cradled beneath its mothership, Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo rocket plane rose up from its runway here on Friday for the first test flight of 2014. If all goes well, this year could see Virgin Galactic's debut as the world's first space passenger service.

The company's spaceship prototype was hooked beneath its wide-span WhiteKnightTwo carrier plane for takeoff from Mojave Air and Space Port just after sunrise, at 7:20 a.m. PT (10:20 a.m. ET).

arrow3.gifRead more...

Blastoff! SpaceShipTwo celebrates the new year with rocket-powered test

MOJAVE, Calif. — Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo rocket plane lit up its engine on Friday during its first test flight of 2014. If all goes well, this year could see Virgin Galactic's debut as the world's first space passenger service.

The company's spaceship prototype was hooked beneath its wide-span WhiteKnightTwo carrier plane for takeoff from Mojave Air and Space Port just after sunrise, at 7:20 a.m. PT (10:20 a.m. ET). About 50 minutes later, SpaceShipTwo lit up its hybrid rocket engine for a burn of about 20 seconds, Virgin Galactic reported. The craft continued its coast upward, then headed back down, temporarily angling its wings to slow its descent.

The plane glided back to a landing on Mojave's 12,000-foot runway.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

We are getting there for sure. I just hope, being 47 years young, that I will have enough life left over to see more space travel achievements and tech innovations and things like Mars colonies. I also hope to one day win the lottery and take a space ride myself.

Well you have to have hope dont you?

• Like 1

Me too seeder ! Me Too ! Sir Branson Rocks in my Book ! Anyone thats commited to man growing and Going into Space has Foresight !

:tu:

• Like 1

Virgin Galactic's Third Powered Flight

On the 10th of January 2014, Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo completed it's third powered test flight. In command on the flight deck for the first time under rocket power was Virgin Galactic's Chief Pilot Dave Mackay.

Credit: Virgin Galactic

Source: Virgin Galactic - YouTube Channel

• Like 1