Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rep. Leslie Combs says 'It happens'

questionmark

Jan. 9 (UPI) -- Some people are taking shots at a Kentucky politician after she accidentally fired one off in her office at the State Capitol in Frankfort on Tuesday.

Rep. Leslie Combs was in her office unloading her Ruger 380 semi-automatic handgun when it went off. Rep.

Jeff Greer was the only other person in the office at the time and neither lawmaker was injured.

I'm sorry, "It Happens"???? I have owned and used guns since I was 9 years old and never has one fired while unloading. She is lucky nobody was hurt, but she still shot herself in the foot with this one :rofl:

• Like 3

I had one miss fire when I used the wrong shell for a 22 rifle . But no , I have not had any thing like this happen to me.

• Like 1

If she immediately takes a proper firearms class and learns from her error then it wont go wasted. It happens yes should it not really. I have used firearms my entire life without incident though I was blessed with education along with the chance to become one of the first youth hunter safety instructors in Wisconsin. Education is key. This isn't a comment meant for debate it simply is truth. Education provides the respect for these tools. Proven time and time again. I am glad no one got hurt because the possibility was great. I hope she learns from this and extends the lesson forward somehow. That would be a great thing to come of this.

• Like 2

If she immediately takes a proper firearms class and learns from her error then it wont go wasted. It happens yes should it not really. I have used firearms my entire life without incident though I was blessed with education along with the chance to become one of the first youth hunter safety instructors in Wisconsin. Education is key. This isn't a comment meant for debate it simply is truth. Education provides the respect for these tools. Proven time and time again. I am glad no one got hurt because the possibility was great. I hope she learns from this and extends the lesson forward somehow. That would be a great thing to come of this.

I'm not quite as experienced but am sufficiently experienced that a recent event left me feeling humbled. New Year's Eve I used a .380 auto as a noisemaker (I had nothing else and live in a rural area) and (totally sober!) grasped my left hand on top of my right and fired. The slide ripped a double trench through my left thumb. I've actually taught others about using autos... I never leave out the caution against doing EXACTLY what I did. So now I'm slowly healing from what was a darned impressive injury for such a small caliber handgun. I guess it's true - you CAN'T fix stupid :cry:
  • Like 3

Just a brief lapse in brain function and then, It happens .. :yes:

I shot a hole in my parent's living room floor once... i sort of forgot my 22 rifle that my friend and i were shooting from the living room window with ! ... was loaded.

.. the neighbor guy interrupted our activities .. and i plain forgot it was still loaded!

• Like 1

Just a brief lapse in brain function and then, It happens .. :yes:

I shot a hole in my parent's living room floor once... i sort of forgot my 22 rifle that my friend and i were shooting from the living room window with ! ... was loaded.

.. the neighbor guy interrupted our activities .. and i plain forgot it was still loaded!

And you are confident you should be allowed to handle a gun?

• Like 3

There is no such thing as 'Accidentally Firing a Weapon'. It is either Intentional Discharge, Negligent Discharge, or Weapon Malfunction resulting in Discharge.

I hate it when people describe it as an 'accident'. There is no such thing as an accident with firearms. If it fires it is either broken or you wanted it to fire, that is why you put a round down the chamber. If you forgot it was loaded and pulled the trigger, or pulled the trigger while unloading (I do not know how you could do that prior to opening the bolt and ensuring it is clear) then you were negligent with your firearm.

• Like 3

And you are confident you should be allowed to handle a gun?

LOL ... not at all, I proved with my incident, at age 12? that i can't be trusted with firearms, but the law does not prohibit me .

I don't think i've shot that gun for nearly 50 years now... think i should clean it before i do? ...(lol)

( i didn't say it was an Accident... i'm fine with "negligent discharge" It was a stupid thing to do... i got distracted and Forgot it was still loaded and ready to FIRE!)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

"It happens" sounds awfully blase. The article does not really say, I wonder what she was planning on doing with the gun after she disarmed it. Put that sucker away where? Back in her purse, in a desk, in a safe? I don't know how Kentucky works with their concealed carry- she could carry it to work, in her purse- would that also allow for storage in the building?

... her story sounds off .. she was "unloading it" . mhm. . More like, making sure it was loaded or fiddling with it? Sounds like she keeps a loaded piece handy.

I could be entirely wrong of course.

there are hundreds of unintentionl discharges a year by police officers. thsoe are the people that supposed to be trained, and those are the people that we never question with carrying firearms.

http://www.policemag...discharges.aspx

My buddy's dad had a friend showing him his new handgun and it discharged in his house, unintentionally. He's a Navy Seal.

There is no such thing as 'Accidentally Firing a Weapon'. It is either Intentional Discharge, Negligent Discharge, or Weapon Malfunction resulting in Discharge.

I hate it when people describe it as an 'accident'. There is no such thing as an accident with firearms. If it fires it is either broken or you wanted it to fire, that is why you put a round down the chamber. If you forgot it was loaded and pulled the trigger, or pulled the trigger while unloading (I do not know how you could do that prior to opening the bolt and ensuring it is clear) then you were negligent with your firearm.

wow, it is one of those 1 in a million cases where i agree with you.

Very nice video about the gun in question.

I know that accidents happen but when "accidents happen" with a weapon people can get hurt.

1. Unless the gun was faulty it wouldn't have gone off unless the safety was off, gun was cocked and a finger was on the trigger

2. HER OFFICE WAS NOT THE PLACE TO FIDDLE ABOUT WITH IT!!!

Nibs

• Like 1

1. Unless the gun was faulty it wouldn't have gone off unless the safety was off, gun was cocked and a finger was on the trigger

Nibs

not always true, some guns will fire if dropped, some striker fired guns are always cocked if there is a round in the tube. but i agree with you on the rest however, if you have such gun, you have to know how to safely handle it, or if you can't remember if you got it cocked, or how to work the safety, throw it away and get a DAO revolver.

i have seen guns, (like old type high point) that are more of a danger to the shooter than to a target. even if not misshandled

Edited by aztek

And then: you were using a gun as a "noise maker"?