Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are the numbers 666 linked with Lucifer?

Magic Stars

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Can someone shed any light for me please on why the numbers 666 are linked with Lucifer?

I haven't read the bible but presume it is a reference from that?

The only thing I know about Lucifer is he was an angel, cast down (And apparently it only says he was cast down, not actually into hell) from heaven because he refused to obey God in bowing down to us when it came to God creating us, as well as that the Horseman of the apocalypse rise when Lucifer does. He was the Serpent in the garden of Eden and tempted Adam and Eve into eating the forbidden fruit, thus temptation, so they were then banished. And that he supposedly punishes the evil. Though that one always confused me on why someone supposedly evil themselves, would punish evil. And Lucifer does encourage evil, does he not?

Anyway, I'm not particularly interesting in whether God exists, etc, just more on why 666 is linked with the devil. I'm curious as I have seen it some movies, like the Omen, though I can't remember the explanation on it. Only Damian is Lucifer's.

Thanks. :)

Well guys, I'd suggest you read the last chapter of the Bible and you will know why.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Can someone shed any light for me please on why the numbers 666 are linked with Lucifer?

I haven't read the bible but presume it is a reference from that?

The only thing I know about Lucifer is he was an angel, cast down (And apparently it only says he was cast down, not actually into hell) from heaven because he refused to obey God in bowing down to us when it came to God creating us, as well as that the Horseman of the apocalypse rise when Lucifer does. He was the Serpent in the garden of Eden and tempted Adam and Eve into eating the forbidden fruit, thus temptation, so they were then banished. And that he supposedly punishes the evil. Though that one always confused me on why someone supposedly evil themselves, would punish evil. And Lucifer does encourage evil, does he not?

Anyway, I'm not particularly interesting in whether God exists, etc, just more on why 666 is linked with the devil. I'm curious as I have seen it some movies, like the Omen, though I can't remember the explanation on it. Only Damian is Lucifer's.

Thanks. :)

It's rubbish anyway so I wouldn't be too bothered about it...Leave it to the experts.like Hollywood and such.

In answer to your question, quite simply the number 6 is used in the bible to signify imperfection 7 is used for heavenly completeness. So the creator used and assigned the number 6 to the third degree to describe the devil.

Ben

Thanks Bens for your comment.

And Mangoze, that's interesting. If there was an actual mistake with translation what does 616 mean then? Would like to hear more about that.

So I presume Hollywood plays a big part in the number 666 and the stories behind it, with no links or ties to the actual bible? The whole thing with the Omen, and the 666 imprinted within the back of Damien's head...Is that hollywood make up? Or actually from the bible? I'm pretty sure also they have used 666 with werewolves in Hollywood but I may be wrong.

The number might actually be 616. The may have been errors in translating the Greek.

I was about to say this.

The original 'number of the beast' was 616.

I was about to say this.

The original 'number of the beast' was 616.

Which changes the gematria - if that is even the intent of the number.

I was always told that it was the Mark of the Beast, that when the last incarnation of the anti-Christ rose to power this would be his mark and all who did not take the mark upon themselves would be denied human rights or some such, while those who did would be denied salvation in the afterlife.

Yet another scary story to keep the flock in line.

I think st. Irenaeus said the 616 thing was a typo ...

Google "666 Nero Caesar", and make up your own mind.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/nero.html

Edited by davros of skaro

According to some there are 7 levels to "Heaven"

The 7th is highy restricted, allowed "entrance" only by God.

The 6th is the next lowest level, and does not have direct access to 7.

Basically it's a multi-dimensional thing, from what I hear.

But I have no proof or knowledge.

• Like 1

According to some there are 7 levels to "Heaven"

The 7th is highy restricted, allowed "entrance" only by God.

The 6th is the next lowest level, and does not have direct access to 7.

Basically it's a multi-dimensional thing, from what I hear.

But I have no proof or knowledge.

The 7 naked eye visible heavenly bodies;Moon, Sun/Sol, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

Just rewrites of Pagan science.

post-142153-0-98249000-1389525773_thumb.

post-142153-0-96017200-1389525993_thumb.

• Like 1

If 666 is the number of the beast, then........

667-the-neighbor-of-the-beast_design.png

I want that T shirt!!

But all you need to know about the Devil is in the BBC radio programme Old Harry's Game.

In Scripture the number 666 is not associated with Lucifer per se, it is associated with "the Beast" of in Revelation. In scripture numbers have various meanings, for instance 3 is representative of the Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), 6 the number of man (who is sinful according to Scripture) or of incompleteness (man was created on the 6th day), 7 the number of completeness (God finished His work of creation and rested on the 7th day) and so forth.

If 3 represents a trinity and 6 sinful incompleteness, than 666 represents a trinity of sin or of evil. It is a counterfeit of God's Trinity, with Satan taking the place of the Father, the Beast (or Anti-christ) taking the place of the Son, and the False Prophet taking the place of the Holy Spirit.

Scripture says it's also the number of a man's name which will identify the Anti-christ In the Hebrew numbers could represent letters forming a simple code (similar to A = 1, B = 2, etcetera). There have been many interpretation of who's name this might be.

• Like 2

I know there are going to be a lot of biblical explanations given. I'm going to share a version I was told when I was a kid. It's a numerology/symbolism perspective.

6 in numerology means domestic bliss, harmony of the hearth and home, the best of the union of family. This is in it's best of form. The opposite of 6 is corruption and weakness, fissures in relationships, being out of balance. This is the worst of it's form.

666 in it's best form is the trinity at it's best- mother, father, child, or father, son, and holy spirit, or man, land, and nature. As is typical of Satan in his various forms, he takes the symbol of good and flips it, subverts it, uses all of the worst of it. Satan has done this with some symbols too- The upside down cross of St. Peter, the 5 pointed star of many faiths, the swastika of Hindu faith. And so on.

It's up to us to read the good in these symbols or let the evil read to us.

I always thought it was an interesting take on the subject. It does seem like for a lot of symbols and numbers, if there is a good attached, there is an ill attached depending on where/when/who claims the symbol for whatever meaning.

What is probably a bit more factual reason for 666/Lucifer as given to me by my husband: A lot of people lump Lucifer/Devil/Satan/The Beast all together. The Beast of Revelations is the one with the number/mark/symbol. Depending on the translation, this mark could read as the number 666. There is some debate over this point.

Nero acted like a "Beast"?

Suetonius Life of Nero 29.1

1He so prostituted his own chastity that after defiling almost every part of his body, he at last devised a kind of game, in which, covered with the skin of some wild animal, he was let loose from a cage and attacked the private parts of men and women, who were bound to stakes,

http://penelope.uchi...sars/Nero*.html

Tacitus Annals 15.44

15.44 Such indeed were the precautions of human wisdom. The next thing was to seek means of propitiating the gods, and recourse was had to the Sibylline books, by the direction of which prayers were offered to Vulcanus, Ceres, and Proserpina. Juno, too, was entreated by the matrons, first, in the Capitol, then on the nearest part of the coast, whence water was procured to sprinkle the fane and image of the goddess. And there were sacred banquets and nightly vigils celebrated by married women. But all human efforts, all the lavish gifts of the emperor, and the propitiations of the gods, did not banish the sinister belief that the conflagration was the result of an order. Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired. Nero offered his gardens for the spectacle, and was exhibiting a show in the circus, while he mingled with the people in the dress of a charioteer or stood aloft on a car. Hence, even for criminals who deserved extreme and exemplary punishment, there arose a feeling of compassion; for it was not, as it seemed, for the public good, but to glut one man's cruelty, that they were being destroyed.

http://mcadams.posc....usannals15.html

Two thousand years ago it was written in the Book of Revelations that people will be marked with the number ‘666′. As Holy Scripture says, the ancient Hebrews laid a tax on the peoples they conquered in various wars. The yearly tax was equal to 666 talents of gold. (3 Kings 10:14, 2 Chronicles 9:13.) Today, in order to subjugate the whole world they’ll once again introduce the old tax number linked to their glorious past. That is, ‘666′ is the number of mammon. Everything is going as planned. They put the number a long time ago on credit cards. As a result, he who is not marked with the number ‘666′ will be unable to buy, sell, get a loan, or find work.

~~~ ~ ~ ~~~

Thanks for all the replies.

So really the number 666 and the meaning behind it all depends on where you read it from?

• Like 1