Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the world getting better or worse?

spartan max2

We've gotten better at feeding and housing and entertaining and educating people and relieving their suffering and helping them stay healthy for longer lives. We've also, at least in much of the world, become more tolerant.

We've also gotten better at killing people off wholesale. This has gotten so fearful that maybe it will go out of style.

• Like 2

Humans get more rights so logically that increases the potential crime rate.

• Like 1

Humans get more rights so logically that increases the potential crime rate.

I think maybe the opposite; more rights means fewer laws, fewer laws means fewer laws to break and fewer crimes.

I think maybe the opposite; more rights means fewer laws, fewer laws means fewer laws to break and fewer crimes.

Women have been given more rights in recent history, therefore there should be fewer laws dealing with their rights being violated?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

If you don't have a law prohibiting something, you don't have criminals who have broken your prohibition. Marijuana comes to mind, and all the people in jail because of those laws.

If you don't have a law prohibiting something, you don't have criminals who have broken your prohibition. Marijuana comes to mind, and all the people in jail because of those laws.

Or spousal rape..

Its every person for themselves these days,although technology has advanced in the rich Countries kids still dont have clean drinking water in parts of Africa,so do we really care what happens to them.

Its every person for themselves these days

These days as compared to when?

Naaaw, the same thing has happened before we just have more efficiency do to access to better weapons. None of that matters because none of it would happen if people wouldn't use it.

The Romans put whole cities to the torch, killed and raped everything in site them moved on. No automatic weapons or nukes required just blunt force trauma applied with the lance and sword. The only common denominator? Humans.

:unsure2: I say its getting worse but each is entitled to there own opinion, the maker of this thread should have made it a poll I think far more people would say its getting worse. But again that's just my opinion and that's what iv seen throughout my life.

I am going to look at this in two ways. First off people and how they think. The fact is technology is getting more and more advanced which is allowing for faster communication and a more informed world. However this leads to a few problems first being as humans we are prioritizing problems we don't need to worry about over others that are more of a realistic concern. Take for example Global warming. whether you believe or disbelieve it we can all admit it made and makes a lot of people talk about it and feel the need to educate others. The thing about it is what ever happens with it, we as humans cannot stop it. Now take the amount of homeless and unemployed in the united states of America. People do see it as a problem but to global warming it seems miniscule and unimportant. The fact is though the one that seems miniscule is also the only one we can fix.

Second point is with this new technology it is exposing people to more ideas and culture which is good. However on that side it also brings hate groups together and makes people judge others by what someone else's opinion. Leading to more racism, bullying, prejudice attitude, and lack of care for your fellow human being.

My second point is technology is advancing but we are holding it back. For this one look at computers they are wonderful and allow us to accomplish things that were never imaginable in the past. However look at how inhuman the social world has become. People become more antisocial and loose the ability to hold a simple conversation with a person face to face. As technology advances we as humans are not meaning we are loosing the basic learned skills from before the technology is around. On top of this all Is the world becoming a better or worst place? I believe it is both. As technology is advancing and making the world more stable and united it is also tarring us apart. Making us forget and loose the roots of what makes us human.

• Like 1

:unsure2: I say its getting worse but each is entitled to there own opinion, the maker of this thread should have made it a poll I think far more people would say its getting worse. But again that's just my opinion and that's what iv seen throughout my life.

I was going to make it a poll but I felt like to many people would say that worse\better are too simplistic of answers, and not answer the poll

I was going to make it a poll but I felt like to many people would say that worse\better are too simplistic of answers, and not answer the poll

So my question is do you think overall as time goes on people and things on this earth have been getting better or do you think that things have been getting worse and worse in the world?

I personally think that even though everyone likes to complain that things have really been getting better for everyone as time goes on. But im kind of optimistic :P lol

What do you think?

Business's everywhere have become more greedy. There's so much greed in the world .

Better. Much better. Overall.

Do we have setbacks and have areas that need bettering? Yup, absolutely. But overall, better.

People are living longer healthier lives. Today with better technology and communications the "world" is more aware of larger situations outside of their smaller, individual areas. Strides are being taken to help EVERYONE on the planet get better medical care, food and improved living conditions.

With improved technology and communications the average Joe/Jane Doe is more aware of what is going on in the world around them. With that knowledge more people are taking steps to facilitate changes and awareness.

Today more people are recognizing that we are all individuals deserving of equality.

Today we are more vocal about punishing those in power that abuse the power.

Today we are more aware of abuses done by government, religion and parents towards children and work hard to make children safer and punish those who hurt them.

Education is more accessible for everyone. Is it where it should be? Not yet but people are working for it.

It's easier for an individual to travel the world, meet people from other cultures. Or even just communicate with them on a day to day basis via the internet.

I see the world as a work in progress that gets better every day.

Nibs

• Like 1

Musically improved and it's better. Society and the world's people seem more unstable and selfish.

Environmentally worse.

The world is the same as it's always been. What's changed is our ability to communicate instantly at almost any time and from anywhere. That's encouraged being first to become the new priority rather than being right.

I think your answer is the key. People do good things and horrible things just as they have always done. The difference is accessibility of information. We know more about what's going on in the world.

Edited by J. K.

for all the cynics who think the world has gotten worse.

230px-Child_with_Smallpox_Bangladesh.jpg

Remember smallpox :unsure2:. Yeah we eradicated that in 1977 the U.S and the Soviet Union( and various other countries helped) managed to work together during a cold war, to eradicated one of the worst diseases on the planet :innocent:

Edited by spartan max2

Business's everywhere have become more greedy. There's so much greed in the world .

How has business gotten any greedier? People use to sack entire cities to take its goods. Europe colonized the world and exploited the inhabitants. during the middle ages most people were serfs practically slaves. Business's use to use actual slaves. This is all business.

So how is it more greedy? :P