Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Regulation nation

F3SS

I wasn't going to create this thread at first but after some reconsideration I think this is a photo worth seeing for perspective.

SEN. MIKE LEE USES ONE SIMPLE PHOTO TO ARGUE THAT WE’VE BECOME A NATION OF REGULATIONS

Photo... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/13/mike-lee-in-one-simple-photo-argues-that-weve-become-a-nation-of-regulations/

But here’s the part where you really need to pay attention: “The small stack of papers on top of the display are the laws passed by elected members of Congress and signed into law by the president [emphasis added].”

Good grief. That's only from one year. Even scarier? Our tax code is more than ten thousand pages longer! And just who are these people we didn't hire to keep US in line?

• Like 5

Here it is. I assumed it was a copywrited pic but I think Facebook is fair game. Click to enlarge. Mods, delete if I'm wrong.

post-117199-0-69091700-1389736945_thumb.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

I also like this meme

936066_10152097597286489_86354329_n.jpg

• Like 5

Without a government who would regulate us and tax us to death? ;)

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if these guys come up with this much paperwork just so it looks like they are actually doing something. In most of the jobs I've held we called this sort of thing "makework", as in make it look like you are actually working.

• Like 3

Regulation into a state of paralysis....nothing can move or get done for days, weeks or months because it might violate some dusty regulation that someone forgot even existed and is only pulled out for vengeance or corruption.

You have freedom of speech and can express your thoughts as long as your thoughts conform to everyone else's.

You have free markets as long as you pay for all your licensing and regulation, sales and use taxes.

You are free to publicly assemble as long as you file the paperwork and use an area pre-slected for you.

You are free to choose your religion as long as it is one of the big three or no religion at all.

You can have freedom of press as long as the editor approves what you have to say and it doesn't chafe our advertisers.

Yeah...what a "free" country we have...

• Like 3

i'm pretty sure if you ask those that voted on that mountain of paper, what is in there exacly, they will not have a clue

True but they will also say it's necessary. They don't have to know what it is as long as big brother is on control of their lives. The hard line lefties here and elsewhere will be quick to spaz when we complain about this stuff. I might say goodness is this really necessary and they'll predictably scream I want no rules and anarchy and why don't we just go back to robber Barron days. So extreme. Nonsense though. All I want is not 80,00 pages of invisible lines to wrongfully cross and for it to be done by those we elect. Not only do we not need this but nobody knows what's in that stack or who wrote it. Like Jerimiah said, most of it is just incase somebody on the hill needs a gotcha moment.

• Like 2

True but they will also say it's necessary. They don't have to know what it is as long as big brother is on control of their lives. The hard line lefties here and elsewhere will be quick to spaz when we complain about this stuff. I might say goodness is this really necessary and they'll predictably scream I want no rules and anarchy and why don't we just go back to robber Barron days. So extreme. Nonsense though. All I want is not 80,00 pages of invisible lines to wrongfully cross and for it to be done by those we elect. Not only do we not need this but nobody knows what's in that stack or who wrote it. Like Jerimiah said, most of it is just incase somebody on the hill needs a gotcha moment.

I have no idea what is so scary to some people, about having fewer regulations and less taxes. I guess it's the same type of fear that dogs have for loud noises and balloons.....

At any rate, regulations and excessive taxes on small business owners, is one of the reasons for the economic slump we're in. But, instead of lifting those burdens, the government just passes more regulations and keeps throwing money at the unemployed.

The Obama administration failed to live up to its promise of fixing the economy. The Washington establishment continues to push economic policies that limit job opportunities. Of course, government doesn’t create jobs. But it has created the current environment which punishes entrepreneurs and discourages them from creating new jobs.

It’s time to try something new. The solution to fixing long-term unemployment is to get the government out of the way. Let entrepreneurs flourish. Jobs will open up if business owners can afford to hire in the first place.

Excessive taxes and regulations are denying people job opportunities. The United States has the highest corporate tax in the world at 35 percent. Entrepreneurs would surely love to spend their money focusing on growing their business and hiring new workers rather than handing it over to the government.

The Obama administration takes the cake for the largest number of costly regulations ever proposed. During Obama’s first term in office, regulatory burdens on Americans increased by nearly $70 billion. There were 25 “major” rules issued by the administration, costing a total of $23.5 billion in 2012.

A Gallup poll finds that 41 percent of small business owners have frozen hiring because of ObamaCare. The Dodd-Frank Wall Street “Reform” law ignores the root cause of the 2008 financial crisis, while imposing unnecessary obligations and rules on the financial services industry. The EPA has run amok with ridiculous standards that hurt the energy industry and consumers.

Extending long-term unemployment benefits won’t fix anything. We will be in the exact same rut a couple months from now when the benefits run out again. The real solution is to grow the number of job opportunities by unleashing entrepreneurs from hampering regulations and taxes.

Let’s get people back to work.

Link: http://townhall.com/columnists/julieborowski/2014/01/13/extending-unemployment-benefits-wont-solve-unemployment-n1777183/page/2

• Like 2

Wow, just for the hell of it... $70 billion equals 1,400,000 $50k per year salaries. Good god.

Edit for impact: or 2,333,333 $30k per year jobs!

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

No one wants the big mega corporations going back to the days of 12 hour days and poverty wages. No wants wants them returning to the days of dumping toxins in the neighborhood playgrounds. But when you propose lifting unbearable regulations that stifle growth and prosperity, that is what the extremists come back with.

Instead of creating legislation that empowers individual inspectors to use common sense in case by case scenarios...they create these revenue devouring organizations that use one giant paint brush to address everything and everyone. Perhaps if they hired smart people instead of meeting employment "quotas"...we could have some freedom and growth...imagine that.

I always like to use the example of a guy and a hot dog stand...I see no reason a person should not be allowed to get a cheap cart, a cheap grill and sell cheap hot dogs along the side of the road. BUT...today he has to get zoning approval, submit to "pre" health department inspections, pay for permits, a license and liability insurance...the poor b@stard is broke before he can even sell his first weiner. As long as the guy isn't selling ground up people and isn't poisoning anyone...LEAVE HIM ALONE! If he has a good clean stand that sells a tasty dog...people will come in droves...if he sells a crappy product from a suspect looking stand...he won't last very long.

Oh well...

Big Brother....protect me from my neighbors! I think they are out to get me...

eagleontaxes_zps07e86042.jpg

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 5

A little off topic but not completely...

The Fed has been pumping something like 60 billion a month into the banks and markets for several years and labeled it "Quantitative easing"...supposedly to stimulate the economy. I did some math on this one day...

This basically equates to 170 bucks a month to every single person in the USA.

I am yet to see anyone prosper from this QE Infinity except the bankers and the brokers. The Fed should have just sent out checks to each household based on the number of occupants and let them spend it into the economy...I guarnatee it would have stimulated things a LOT more...and the bottom line is..."WE the people" are inevitably going to be picking up the tab for all this money anyway...

• Like 2

No one wants the big mega corporations going back to the days of 12 hour days and poverty wages. No wants wants them returning to the days of dumping toxins in the neighborhood playgrounds. But when you propose lifting unbearable regulations that stifle growth and prosperity, that is what the extremists come back with.

Instead of creating legislation that empowers individual inspectors to use common sense in case by case scenarios...they create these revenue devouring organizations that use one giant paint brush to address everything and everyone. Perhaps if they hired smart people instead of meeting employment "quotas"...we could have some freedom and growth...imagine that.

I always like to use the example of a guy and a hot dog stand...I see no reason a person should not be allowed to get a cheap cart, a cheap grill and sell cheap hot dogs along the side of the road. BUT...today he has to get zoning approval, submit to "pre" health department inspections, pay for permits, a license and liability insurance...the poor b@stard is broke before he can even sell his first weiner. As long as the guy isn't selling ground up people and isn't poisoning anyone...LEAVE HIM ALONE! If he has a good clean stand that sells a tasty dog...people will come in droves...if he sells a crappy product from a suspect looking stand...he won't last long.

People would be surprised what a little ingenuity and hard work can do... Without a bunch of government red tape and excessive taxes.

A little off topic but not completely...

The Fed has been pumping something like 60 billion a month into the banks and markets for several years and labeled it "Quantitative easing"...supposedly to stimulate the economy. I did some math on this one day...

This basically equates to 170 bucks a month to every single person in the USA.

I am yet to see anyone prosper from this QE Infinity except the bankers and the brokers. The Fed should have just sent out checks to each household based on the number of occupants and let them spend it into the economy...I guarnatee it would have stimulated things a LOT more...and the bottom line is..."WE the people" are inevitably going to be picking up the tab for all this money anyway...

You know the Federal Reserve is the exact reason our Founding Fathers were against a central bank in the US. Why one of them, didn't punch Alexander Hamilton in the face, for suggesting and setting one up, I'll never know. But, anyways, if people realized what a Ponzi scheme it is, they would be worried. Janet Yellen being confirmed as the head, just cemented my fears even more. People need to be prepared for when the dollar tanks. It's going to get very bad. I just don't think there's any way out, of the dollar tanking. And auditing the Fed, while a step in the right direction, isn't going to do ****.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

I always said the same thing about the $800B stimulus. They should've just released that money back to US. It would've been a couple thousand dollars for every single living U.S. Citizen. But no, they had to gamble with it and deliver kickbacks.

• Like 2

Eh, it's not just the government. I just had to go through my company handbook and initial on 110 rules and regulations for 2014. It seems like every time someone does something stupid or overly adventurous, some guy in in office has to sit down and make a rule forbidding it.

Yes but a private company doesn't work for you and only effects one aspect of your life instead of your entire life.

• Like 1

Yes but a private company doesn't work for you and only effects one aspect of your life instead of your entire life.

Being unelected regulators, they don't work for us either but rather whoever pays their paycheck. Also pretty much each regulator only affects one aspect of your life, but all to together they control all aspects.

i'm pretty sure if you ask those that voted on that mountain of paper, what is in there exacly, they will not have a clue

Like Pelosi said, We'll have to pass it to find out what's in it." :cry:

Regulation into a state of paralysis....nothing can move or get done for days, weeks or months because it might violate some dusty regulation that someone forgot even existed and is only pulled out for vengeance or corruption.

You have freedom of speech and can express your thoughts as long as your thoughts conform to everyone else's.

You have free markets as long as you pay for all your licensing and regulation, sales and use taxes.

You are free to publicly assemble as long as you file the paperwork and use an area pre-slected for you.

You are free to choose your religion as long as it is one of the big three or no religion at all.

You can have freedom of press as long as the editor approves what you have to say and it doesn't chafe our advertisers.

Yeah...what a "free" country we have...

"Regulation into a state of paralysis." Nailed it here, ask any small business owner. Instead of allowing the free enterprise system to work freely, our Govt stifles them with regs....and the Dems would rather continually extend Unemployment Benefits. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I missed this from Kawalski, great minds think alike. :yes:

"At any rate, regulations and excessive taxes on small business owners, is one of the reasons for the economic slump we're in. But, instead of lifting those burdens, the government just passes more regulations and keeps throwing money at the unemployed. "

True but they will also say it's necessary. They don't have to know what it is as long as big brother is on control of their lives. The hard line lefties here and elsewhere will be quick to spaz when we complain about this stuff. I might say goodness is this really necessary and they'll predictably scream I want no rules and anarchy and why don't we just go back to robber Barron days. So extreme. Nonsense though. All I want is not 80,00 pages of invisible lines to wrongfully cross and for it to be done by those we elect. Not only do we not need this but nobody knows what's in that stack or who wrote it. Like Jerimiah said, most of it is just in case somebody on the hill needs a gotcha moment.

Not invisible but intentionally written so only a sm army of lawyers can see, understand, and manipulate in their favor.

(ALL Politicians were first Lawyers.)

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 1

Exactly. I just meant that the lines are invisible because we don't know what they are or when, if and how we cross them.

• Like 1

I always like to use the example of a guy and a hot dog stand...I see no reason a person should not be allowed to get a cheap cart, a cheap grill and sell cheap hot dogs along the side of the road. BUT...today he has to get zoning approval, submit to "pre" health department inspections, pay for permits, a license and liability insurance...the poor b@stard is broke before he can even sell his first weiner. As long as the guy isn't selling ground up people and isn't poisoning anyone...LEAVE HIM ALONE! If he has a good clean stand that sells a tasty dog...people will come in droves...if he sells a crappy product from a suspect looking stand...he won't last very long.

Just because a food vendor is popular doesn't mean he or she is selling a safe product. The problem with the example you give is that food vendors of the sort you're describing may sell wonderfully tasty food, but that food could still be right on the edge of poisoning people. Your hot dog entrepreneur could sell a hundred hot dogs a day from what appears to be a good clean stand, and yet be responsible for the death of one person a month. Perhaps to save a few dollars he's turned down the heat on the water the wieners are floating in, and bacteria starts to grow. In cases like this it might take months or even years for anyone to work out the food vendor is the common factor in a series of deaths.

Where I live there have been a number of food safety cases in the news in the last year or so. Government food inspectors have found all sorts of unsafe food storage situations in restaurants - cream-based sauces stored at room temperature for hours, cooked meat sitting under raw meat, cockroaches in the kitchen, cooking oil recycled endlessly - but because they all happen in the kitchens the customers don't see what's going on. And yes, there have been cases of food poisoning. And obviously because the restaurants don't advertise their problems, customers have no way of knowing whether the restaurant they eat at is safe or is one whose kitchen staff are taking risks with the food they prepare. The food still tastes great, but it could still kill people.

Having said that, our territory government recently dropped plans to require every location selling food to have someone on the cooking staff who'd completed a course in the safe preparation of food. I don't know how common it is in the USA, but weekend sausage sizzles outside the big hardware stores are a big part of Australian life - a great way for schools and charities to raise funds. The government's proposed regulatory changes would have affected these sausage sizzles too. But once a few people pointed out that Australian males have an almost genetically inbuilt ability to cook sausages to perfection (in other words, how hard is it to cook a sausage so it's safe to eat?) the government dropped the idea.