Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lions in West Africa are facing extinction

UM-Bot

A recent survey has suggested that there are only around 400 of the animals left in the entire region.

Conservationists have warned that lion populations in West Africa have suffered a "catastrophic collapse" and that the entire population now numbers in the low hundreds. The research was carried out across 17 countries over the course of six years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...cing-extinction

This is so sad and it seems that no one cares anymore.

• Like 2

And it will only get worse unfortunately, its really sad.

This is so sad and it seems that no one cares anymore.

It isn't a matter of no one caring, you are dealing with poor third world countries where subsistence farming is the rule. As population increases and arable land outside the park decreases, the people are forced to graze their livestock in the park or risk starvation. There is also to bush meat trade where poachers are going into wild areas and killing any animals they can to sell the meat a market, lions probably included.

We have totally altered the ecosystem in Africa (and for that matter in many places). The grazing animals once followed the rains in a large circuit around Africa, the predators followed the herbivores or went through lean times. Now they are contained inside parks which is unnatural for them and creates ecological problems.

There was a recent TED video about how to fix overgrazing and restore a more natural ecosystem to devastated lands that has proven very successful, it just takes education and discipline but it can be done. By restoring grazing lands outside the parks, the wildlife might have a better chance within the parks. But it requires a new way of thinking and a change in lifestyle and that can be difficult in primitive areas.

It isn't a matter of no one caring, you are dealing with poor third world countries where subsistence farming is the rule.

Not all African countries are poor. It's a matter of priorities for these corrupt dictatorships; whether to buy more MIG fighter jets to put down insurrections, line their own wallets or conserve lions.

As population increases and arable land outside the park decreases, the people are forced to graze their livestock in the park or risk starvation.

Which is why human population control (contraceptives) should be emphasized.

There is also to bush meat trade where poachers are going into wild areas and killing any animals they can to sell the meat a market, lions probably included.

Right, more illegal poaching due to exponential human population growth and incompetent/corrupt "governments".

We have totally altered the ecosystem in Africa (and for that matter in many places).

Who is "we"? Africans have altered the African ecosystem. Have you seen any satellite images of Madagascar recently?

There was a recent TED video about how to fix overgrazing and restore a more natural ecosystem to devastated lands that has proven very successful, it just takes education and discipline but it can be done.

And who paid for that project? Just curious.

By restoring grazing lands outside the parks, the wildlife might have a better chance within the parks. But it requires a new way of thinking and a change in lifestyle and that can be difficult in primitive areas.

Like I said before, it's a matter of priorities. Not all sectors are primitive. Many African nations have technologically advanced military equipment. Not primitive in any sense of the word.

• Like 1

It isn't a matter of no one caring, you are dealing with poor third world countries where subsistence farming is the rule. As population increases and arable land outside the park decreases, the people are forced to graze their livestock in the park or risk starvation. There is also to bush meat trade where poachers are going into wild areas and killing any animals they can to sell the meat a market, lions probably included.

We have totally altered the ecosystem in Africa (and for that matter in many places). The grazing animals once followed the rains in a large circuit around Africa, the predators followed the herbivores or went through lean times. Now they are contained inside parks which is unnatural for them and creates ecological problems.

There was a recent TED video about how to fix overgrazing and restore a more natural ecosystem to devastated lands that has proven very successful, it just takes education and discipline but it can be done. By restoring grazing lands outside the parks, the wildlife might have a better chance within the parks. But it requires a new way of thinking and a change in lifestyle and that can be difficult in primitive areas.

Well friend, all u said just confirms that whole world doesnt care.

what is really sad is that people just think it is really sad. Just thinking about how sad it is wont help endangered nature. There has to be a more aggressive campaign to preserve the environment, not just here but all around the world, european wildlife, the amazon... Also not just lions but wolves, tigers, elephants, rhinos, jaguars, etc. The world should show more interest in this, instead of other completely stupid stuff they love to do and not depend on local governments, especially if they cant afford to take care of this. There are no countries, just ONE WORLD for us all

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

what is really sad is that people just think it is really sad. Just thinking about how sad it is wont help endangered nature. There has to be a more aggressive campaign to preserve the environment, not just here but all around the world, european wildlife, the amazon... Also not just lions but wolves, tigers, elephants, rhinos, jaguars, etc. The world should show more interest in this, instead of other completely stupid stuff they love to do and not depend on local governments, especially if they cant afford to take care of this. There are no countries, just ONE WORLD for us all

Right..there are countries though, for good reason, and there always will be, it's not going to change. So, while you're right in saying it isn't enough to feel sad about endangered animals, it also isn't enough to have wishful ideas about countries not existing.

noooooo even the ****en lions =(

Not all African countries are poor. It's a matter of priorities for these corrupt dictatorships; whether to buy more MIG fighter jets to put down insurrections, line their own wallets or conserve lions.

Fair enough.

Which is why human population control (contraceptives) should be emphasized.

In many counties more children mean that at least some survive to support the family, so that may run against the grain of local society.

Right, more illegal poaching due to exponential human population growth and incompetent/corrupt "governments".

Could be a simple matter of greed, one rhino horn dagger handle or powered for "medicine" would pay a poacher more that they might earn in a year.

Who is "we"? Africans have altered the African ecosystem. Have you seen any satellite images of Madagascar recently?

By "we" I mean people in general. I'm quite familiar with Madagascar's plight, with less than 10% of it's forest is left if memory serves. Whether it's the pollution of China, the deforestation of Central or South American countries, the loss of the N.A. tall-grass prairies, the leaking reactor of Japan into the sea, raging wildfires in Borneo and Sumatra and so forth, most societies have degraded their environment to some extent, some worse that others.

And who paid for that project? Just curious.

I can't say who paid for it, but the concept is so simple it cost almost nothing: you gather all the grazing animals of an entire village into one area you keep them there until they have heavily grazed the grass and dropped lots of dung then you move them to another plot and let the land recover. This fertilizes the land, promotes new forage and lets the land rest from over grazing. Very cost effective and they had before and after photos from all over the world, it's very effective.

Like I said before, it's a matter of priorities. Not all sectors are primitive. Many African nations have technologically advanced military equipment. Not primitive in any sense of the word.

Then they must choose their priorities, and hopefully not be short sighted about it.

All of this should come as no surprise to anyone. From a BBC report 10 years ago "Lion populations have fallen by almost 90% in the past 20 years".

"There are now only 23,000 left, compared to an estimated 200,000 two decades ago,"

"Clare Wallerstein of the International Fund for Wildlife Welfare told the BBC that the problem would get worse as Kenya's human population doubled in the next 12 years. "

This guy has been documenting all these mass extinction events for the last several years.

http://www.mysterium...extinction.html

I take consolation in that BP and other major oil companies admit that there is only 50 years of cheap oil left.

"The global R/P ratio stands at 52.9 years"

Never mind gasoline shortages, think of all the things that are made out of petroleum products, rubber tires is the first thing that comes to my mind. I know UM readers have enlightened me about new synthetic rubber made out of algae, but this is still in the development stage. Time's a tickin'....

I saw a special on Telly the other week about Game Parks in Africa. They breed Lions and other game solely for the purpose of hunting. Some of the farmers get attached to certain animals and won't allow hunting of them, one farmer I remember had a family of Giraffes he was particularly fond of. He had many Lions and bred them, and they looked very healthy, and were in large open habitats.

He said that Africa is shot, they cannot farm, predators kill livestock, this is a perfect solution for them. Not only do they breed more than is hunted to sustain the population, they brought some type of Antelope (I think) back from the brink of extinction as it would be a prized hunting animal being so rare. They are no longer endangered I believe.

There might be more Lions than they are counting considering this, also, this might sustain the species better than farming solutions tried in the past. Not a fan of hunting myself, but if it is win win, this might keep Lions of the extinct list for some time to come. And healthy.

There was this chick in her 30s or so who was going to hunt for her first time, they were using bows, she was in two minds, but seemed to get into the moment. I mostly remember she had impressive assets.

Edited by psyche101

Some pretty bleak and chauvinistic things have been said on this post about Africans. Let's be clear, there is no inherent biological difference in sub-Saharan Africans that hold them back. Politics holds them back.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

Seeing as how the lioness' all mate with the same male, would there be more potential to help save the species in taking some of the males who aren't being mated with into controlled environments in which they would be the only male presented to a limited amount of females? At the least it would provide zoo's with more attractions, and as I see it, this idea could increase the likelihood of the maximum amount of lioness' conceiving, carrying for a full term, and having an opportunity to raise their offspring till they are fully mature. -I don't know just a concerned citizen of this planet speaking on matters like this...

Well speaking about lionsyou need to check out KSAT 12 the local San Antonio ABC affiliate. According to a report Monday,,and african lion was supposed to be running around the New Berlin area.New Berlin is a small town south of here in Guadalupe County.It is i guess maybe 20 to 30 miles from San Antonio.Apparently someone started a rumor on Facebook that a lion was running a round. The Guadalupe County sheriff's office said that Tarzan had come from Africa to get it and take it back home. It's funnier to read it at KSAT12 then I told it. Having lived her for 43 years this is just as crazy as the chupacabra. I have driven around the countryside between St.Hedwig Lavernia,New Berlin,,Sweet Home and Olmos and never once saw anyplace that was a wildlife ranch around these little towns. There are bobcats here and there have on a couple of occassions sightings of cougars north of SA in some of the wilderness parks north of town.

Mightbe they saw a cougar or bobcat. There have also been found apparently some crocidiles in the Guadalupe River but at what spot in the river don't know. This also the tv stationed mentioned.

If you go to Choke Canyon Resivour and park they do have signs warning about alligators.

Endangered wildlife is also killed every day for such things as Chinese "medicine" to enhance male virility, etc. Or bush meat for restaurants all over the world. Elephants just for their ivory. Gorillas for various parts of their bodies. It has probably always been thus, but there are far less animals to kill and the price goes up, which makes for more animals being killed. Totally breaks my heart. The human animal is not kind to his animal brethren.

• Like 1