Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

it was very stupid when they brought in the ghost hunter type of people.

Yes...I just watched that episode today...was thinking the same thing..."Really?...you had to go there?"

Put aside the silly legends, superstitions, curses and ghosts and get to the damn point! There is a hole in the ground that someone took the trouble to dig and plank up every ten feet...so...how about we move on to finding out the "why"...

ETA:

The episode with the coconut fibers was pretty interesting. They confirmed they are indeed coconut fibers and then sent them off to be carbon dated...I am a little suspicious of the date....1100-1400 A.D....or so they say. I guess we shall see.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

The geology of the area is filled with cracks, pits, and crevices. You could map the entire island and get nothing to work with.

There is, after all, a reason why it has remained a mystery. Like most mysteries of this kind, the general argument goes that since no one can disprove it, there must be something there.

Edited by aquatus1

As i said earlier, for me...I believe it is a man made thing...now why go to all that trouble?...pfft...can only guess.

if you look it up, coconut fiber is one of the few natural things resisistant to sea water...if that means anything...

As far as to why it has remained a mystery...

In the past, we didn't have the technology and equipment we have today...

No one has stepped up to the plate in years...

It can be dangerous...

I'm totally digging on the idea someone is seriously researching the site...but...I do wish they would have filmed a documentary as they went and released it when studies were finished...the reality tv angle of this is annoying.

Nothing found. If it had been, major news. The show was filmed, and we all get to watch the past.

Same as the Bigfoot shows, if something ever turned up, we would here about well before a entertainment show on History channel aired.

• Like 3

Nothing found. If it had been, major news. The show was filmed, and we all get to watch the past.

Same as the Bigfoot shows, if something ever turned up, we would here about well before a entertainment show on History channel aired.

Yeah...kinda like the "Baltic sea disk"... "we cant tell you anything, we have a contract with our sponsors to sell commercials" ...

It would be nice if there came along a man who could ''think outside of the island''.

In the water?

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 2

I like the whole 7 must die before the truth is revealed.

The way I understand it when the 7th person dies John Locke shows up and says "it was a sacrifice the island demanded". then this black smoke comes and drops a load of gold on you.

but I may have misquoted that?

• Like 5

I like the whole 7 must die before the truth is revealed.

The way I understand it when the 7th person dies John Locke shows up and says "it was a sacrifice the island demanded". then this black smoke comes and drops a load of gold on you.

but I may have misquoted that?

Anyone know where this "7 men will die" thing came from? Was it carved in stone on the island?

Also, they keep saying that the cove (Smith's Cove) is man made. What evidence is there for this?

Don't know where the whole thing of a seventh man must die comes from.I have been watching the series and aparently in the next epsiode they do find something with the aid of a metal detector. They were also getting a fancy dector from Germany and explain what it does. So I am still looking forward to what if anything they find.

Don't know where the whole thing of a seventh man must die comes from.I have been watching the series and aparently in the next epsiode they do find something with the aid of a metal detector. They were also getting a fancy dector from Germany and explain what it does. So I am still looking forward to what if anything they find.

I seen the episode last night. They drained the swamp a little and used a metal detector. It beeped as though it found something. The older brother jumped in and said he was standing on a hard flat surface, so they deducted that it may be a vault. They didn't retrieve anything though. My guess is that they will pull up some junk (hubcap, car fender, old trailer).

• Like 3

although the show is very slow paced and at times repetative I enjoy the over all premise. The log floors every ten feet, the water traps, the coconut fibres, the "seven must die" and the over all history of the place I find interesting. It realy feels like a true unexplained mystery. The recording it and fast forwarding through it is definitly the way to view. And, I hate to admit it, but I'm seriously looking forward to what they find at the "mercy" point next week. I mean lets consider, just for a moment that there is really something incredible buried on the island and they do indeed find "it". What a hoot!

• Like 1

I'm so glad I decided not to pay for cable anymore!

• Like 2

I've gotten to a point where I tend to agree with Brian Dunning's analysis (see my podcast link on the first page) that the OIMP never really existed and that it was simply a sinkhole (the island is riddled with them) that some logs and other debris blew/washed into over the years. Everything else was simply made up by treasure hunters and the legend just keep feeding off of itself for decades.

• Like 1

If you read below, this couple thinks they have it, and are asking for donations, donations that will be paid back with profit, if anything found..

Started january 17th, 2014.....Goal is $200,000....So far. ZERO / 0 / notta

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdgmm6bjdQ[/media]

http://www.indiegogo...r-treasure-hunt

The Oak Island Money Pit or ( The Oak Island Treasure) or whatever you want to call it by any standard, is a well renown story of a young mans quest for riches beyond his wildest dreams. This is how the story starts: One summer day in 1795 Daniel McGinnis, then a teenager, was wandering about Oak Island, Nova Scotia when he came across a curious circular depression in the ground. Standing over this depression was a tree whose branches had been cut in a way which looked like it had been used as a pulley. Having heard tales of pirates in the area he decided to return home to get friends and return later to investigate the hole.

Over the next several days McGinnis, along with friends John Smith and Anthony Vaughan, worked the hole. What they found astonished them. Two feet below the surface they came across of layer of flagstones covering the pit. At 10 feet down they ran into a layer of oak logs spanning the pit. Again at 20 feet and 30 feet they found the same thing, a layer of logs. Not being able to continue alone from here, they went home, but with plans of returning to search more.

It took the three discoverers 8 years, but they did return. Along with The Onslow Company, formed for the purpose of the search, they began digging again. They quickly got back to 30 foot point that had been reached 8 years ago. They continued down to 90 feet, finding a layer of oak logs at every 10 foot interval. Besides the boards, at 40 feet a layer of charcoal was found, at 50 feet a layer of putty, and at 60 feet a layer of coconut fiber.

At 90 feet one of the most puzzling clues was found - a stone inscribed with mysterious writing.

This is where my story starts: In 1994 I was helping to clean out a deceased relatives home where I had discovered a lot of antiquities and when the job was finished I was offered a framed certificate that had belonged to the deceased. I accepted this with great admiration, as it was something that of long had always held my interest. Behind the glass in this well dusted old frame was a 33rd degree master masons certificate belonging to the deceased. Also there was a lot of literature found in the home that had property rights written on the inside covers stating (in the event of death of the recipient of this literature it must be returned to Masons Lodge#*** immediately). Of course I couldn't return it until I read it first,just for curiousity sake! For a long time i reveled in all of these strange rituals of course only in my mind and couldn't shake the difference between the man I knew (the deceased) and the man who believed in what was written in this text. This baffled me for a very long time until one day in 2008, when for some strange reason I decided to take apart the dusty old frame that housed the masons degree to clean it up a bit. Much to my surprise, after pulling the nails that held in the dilapidated backing, a small folded over many times piece of paper fell from within. On this piece of paper that was folded almost as some origami art may be, were some very strange foreign symbols to me. As well there were scattered among them some very familiar ones, numbers from 0-9 scattered amongst these weird symbols. Of course I don't have a degree in cryptology or anything so I was totally puzzled as to what this meant.

Then one day in the latter part of 2010 I was doing what every other normal person would be doing, surfing the internet. When I came across this story of Oak Island, in reading further and further into it I became more and more intrigued. Even though I had heard of this before as I live in the area the story originated in, it was just background news to me. Until this great turning point in life, that Aha!! moment in life where something amazing makes sense! In browsing through the stories on the internet of Oak Island Treasure, I came across this picture of a re-creation of this inscribed stone found at the 90 foot mark on the island itself. This was my moment, the Aha!! one i was telling you about, on this stone were the exact same symbols I had found on the piece of folded paper in the back of the masons degree!

But where did I put that piece of paper? Of course like all people a piece of paper in a household is like a needle in a haystack! After a few days of searching I had recovered my lost gem, now it was time to figure out what all of this meant. What I didn't know at the time was how many long days and weeks of folding and unfolding this piece of paper to make symbols meet numbers it would take. But finally after all of this turmoil I had two solid rows of numbers, but what the heck does that mean? Then my girlfriend looks at me with a puzzled sort of knowledgeable look on her face, after not getting involved in my quest for some time, she says '' Maybe it's directions to somewhere?''. ''Oh My God!'' was my response to her,that was it, this may be co-ordinates to somewhere. Like longitude and latitude to some place, our next move of course sitting there in our pajama bottoms was google earth! So we look on google earth and move the cursor around to find the exact co-ordinates to see where this lands us, and shazam there it was. An Island about 30 miles from Oak Island, but not just any island, this island was very strange in the image we were looking at from 2009 it showed on the south end of the island, a giant geoglyph of a woman in a long flowing dress with four symbols above her head and one of her breasts exposed from the dress. Above all of that was a huge perfect circle and to the right of that a triangle. How could this be here in plain sight with no one knowing about it? Our next thought was finding out if ever there was anyone living on the island who could have done

this. Lo and behold, no one had ever lived on the island and there was never a man made structure built on it, so how did all of this get there? The bigger question was, what did it mean? The symbols above the head i referenced to the piece of folding paper and surmised a date 1398, as strange as it may seem, apparently no Europeans had ever been here at that time. The geoglyph of the woman figure right away was recognized, I had seen these before, they were called figureheads. They were carved out of wood and placed at the bow of ships in the days of pirates and such, another Aha!! moment! The decision was made we had to find out what, if anything, was at the exact location of these co-ordinates. Off to the store to get a g.p.s., find a boat and motor to use and secure a metal detector or two to find what treasure lay there! A couple of days later and we were ready to go, through some rougher waters on our journey we finally make land fall, pull the boat up the beach and secure our supplies onto our backs. We start hiking in from the north end of the island through the thick forest to reach our destination,with a few stumbles and scrapes along the way we finally make it. We come out in a spot above the field where the geoglyphs exist, and to our amazement we cannot see anything that resembles what we saw on google earth. But after all of that, we are determined to find an end to our means!

It was a perfect time to get out the g.p.s. and find our co-ordinates, so we drop the rest of our gear except a shovel and pic, and off we go with our trusted g.p.s. We reach the location after about twenty minutes, gear in hand and ready to dig, X marks the spot and away we go! After the first three feet of digging I am kind of thinking '' this is really dumb!'' and right then thunk! The pic strikes rock, a good sized rock too, it was about three feet wide by two feet top to bottom and three to four inches thick. But it wasn't made from the same material as the rest of the island! We finally get it to the surface and observe a large cut stone laying on the ground in front of us, so we flip it over to get it away from our dig site and Holy! On the other side there are two rows of symbols exactly the same as the ones on the Oak Island stone but in a totally different order. We don't have the paper with us again, so we decide to take a picture of the symbols and hide the stone so no one else discovers our secret. We spent the rest of the day treasure hunting with the metal detectors, having a shore lunch and enjoying life!

That evening when we got home we figured out the next set of co-ordinates and here we go again,another island with another weird symbol visible from satellite pictures like the last island. Only this time it was an image of a ship set into stone and it had three perfect circles in the center of it, so off we go on another adventure. Only this time we know what we are looking for, we arrive on the second island go directly to the g.p.s. location and dig three feet and there it is! Another stone made from the same rock as the last stone and not found anywhere in the geology of the second island either. We flip it over and on the underside is more symbols, we do the exact same thing again,take a picture, hide the stone and vacate the island. This story is probably getting boring for you by now, but hang on,it does get exciting! Back home again and we get another set of co-ordinates for another island, off we go again! This happens to us a total of five times, five stones, five islands, we are sickened! So, off we go to the sixth, hope still in our hearts, shovels in hand. We arrive at the sixth location but it is very different from the last five, it's overgrown with live and dead trees mixed, like there was a large fire on it long ago. We go to the location that was generated by the last set of symbols and we find solid bedrock about thirty feet wide with a sketch barely visible right in the center. Well we can't dig here, so we go to the edge of it just to scrape the moss a bit and it has a split all the way around the top in a perfect circle, now what?

We don't have the means to lift a possible sixty ton rock and flip it over on an island in the middle of the ocean. But we do have resources to find our way. After all, we are human and humans are capable of anything! Which is what brought us to this site, after a lot of research into land claims, mineral rights, possible lawyers fees, equipment logistics, equipment costs and so on and so on! We came up with a total that just exceeds $200,000, to be able to finish what we have started.

Whether we reach our goal of $200,000 or not, we are dedicated to finishing this and finding the end of this large treasure map. Even if it takes the rest of our lives, we know it will be worth it based on what we have recovered so far. Also anyone who contributes will still be greatly rewarded even if we do not reach the two hundred thousand dollar goal, so long as we find it before our demise!

Any and all contributors to our campaign will be solely given the right to 100% of whatever treasure we may find. This means if you even donate $1 and the treasure is worth 100 million you get back $100 and so forth...the more you donate, the more you get back. We ask nothing in return except to be the named people who discovered the greatest treasure of our time. We have done a lot of research on the historical time of this era that we believe all of these events took place, and we strongly believe these may be some of the most powerful religious items ever discovered by modern man. This is why we are doing this and we need your help! (Imagine if the Ark of The Covenant and The Holy Grail were finally found, what would this do for our world?)

Thank You to all and any contributors, also to all the people who took a look!

Terry Sabine & Krista Zinck

Edited by Sakari

If you read below, this couple thinks they have it, and are asking for donations, donations that will be paid back with profit, if anything found..

Execept no one is allowed to dig there without permits and such, and probably a majority ownership of the land the Money Pit sits on. So, I think these people might just be collecting money...

• Like 1

Very probably. But, I imagine they're actually going to try for a 2nd season and maybe 3rd season. If they planned on just one season, they'd have brought in excevators and just torn down the island to the bedrock and blasted down from there.

More money in TV then in the Pit?

• Like 1

although the show is very slow paced and at times repetative I enjoy the over all premise. The log floors every ten feet, the water traps, the coconut fibres, the "seven must die" and the over all history of the place I find interesting. It realy feels like a true unexplained mystery. The recording it and fast forwarding through it is definitly the way to view. And, I hate to admit it, but I'm seriously looking forward to what they find at the "mercy" point next week. I mean lets consider, just for a moment that there is really something incredible buried on the island and they do indeed find "it". What a hoot!

What I like, as a person who's read up on Oak Island in books and online for decades, is that the principle surviving people involved in this complex story come on the show and we get to see them and hear them, as people, and not just as a name in a book or online article. I find it interesting to hear old people talk about actual historic stuff.

The actual evidence the show has found so far, and the "leads" they are following up on are Sad. Obviously they are trying to milk this thing, or they would have gone directly to the Pit and started digging. Even if they could show actual ancient oak timbers in the actual Pit, that would be better then what they've done so far.

But, regardless I'm going to watch it because it is better then Ancient Astronauts and Finding Bigfoot.

• Like 3

But, regardless I'm going to watch it because it is better then Ancient Astronauts and Finding Bigfoot.

Very true right there!

"The History Channel, where the truth is history."

-South Park

• Like 4

No way the couple's story is true, the geographic coordinate system was made in 1884, the first stone with the info was found in 1803.

Case closed.

On a side note, the main problem with these treasure hunts is the more important is the find, the less likely they are to profit from it. If worse come to worst, they'll be charged with artefact smuggling if they try to sell anything, even if they owned the land the artifact was found in. The only free for all treasures are the one in sunken ships in international waters (or Atlantis, if you happen to find it there).

In the case of Oak Island, if the wildest theories are right and it is indeed the Templars' treasure, no matter how much money they burn to dig it out, it will in all likelihood belong to all Canadians through Park Canada.

and shazam there it was. An Island about 30 miles from Oak Island, but not just any island, this island was very strange in the image we were looking at from 2009 it showed on the south end of the island, a giant geoglyph of a woman in a long flowing dress with four symbols above her head and one of her breasts exposed from the dress. Above all of that was a huge perfect circle and to the right of that a triangle. How could this be here in plain sight with no one knowing about it? Our next thought was finding out if ever there was anyone living on the island who could have done this. Lo and behold, no one had ever lived on the island and there was never a man made structure built on it, so how did all of this get there?

I went looking for this geoglyph. Checked the islands 30 miles south of Oak Island, near Port Medway, and none of them seem to have anything unusual about them. Also they are all within easy reach by rowboat, so the assumption that no one has ever been there is idiotic. I went down to the scale of being able to identify individual trees.

Now I'll go do the same 30 miles north of Oak Island.

and surmised a date 1398, as strange as it may seem,

Surmised from what? The paper with the symbols on it?

Off to the store to get a g.p.s., find a boat and motor to use and secure a metal detector or two to find what treasure lay there! A couple of days later and we were ready to go, through some rougher waters on our journey we finally make land fall, pull the boat up the beach and secure our supplies onto our backs. We start hiking in from the north end of the island through the thick forest to reach our destination,with a few stumbles and scrapes along the way we finally make it. We come out in a spot above the field where the geoglyphs exist, and to our amazement we cannot see anything that resembles what we saw on google earth. But after all of that, we are determined to find an end to our means!

It was a perfect time to get out the g.p.s. and find our co-ordinates, so we drop the rest of our gear except a shovel and pic, and off we go with our trusted g.p.s. We reach the location after about twenty minutes, gear in hand and ready to dig, X marks the spot and away we go!

None of the islands I've looked at so far would take 20 minutes to hike across. The largest one is maybe a mile across.

After the first three feet of digging I am kind of thinking '' this is really dumb!'' and right then thunk! The pic strikes rock, a good sized rock too, it was about three feet wide by two feet top to bottom and three to four inches thick. But it wasn't made from the same material as the rest of the island! We finally get it to the surface and observe a large cut stone laying on the ground in front of us, so we flip it over to get it away from our dig site and Holy! On the other side there are two rows of symbols exactly the same as the ones on the Oak Island stone but in a totally different order. We don't have the paper with us again, so we decide to take a picture of the symbols and hide the stone so no one else discovers our secret. We spent the rest of the day treasure hunting with the metal detectors, having a shore lunch and enjoying life!

If they want financial backers... publish pics of the runestones they found. Since they already have cracked the code they have little to worry about. If they are worried about other treasure hunters figuring out the code and getting to the treasure first then publish the pics, but black out half of the block to make decyphering it impossible.

I'd also go get a Canadian treasure finding license. I know that the people who have dug on Oak Island had to go get licenses to dig there.

• 2 weeks later...

No way the couple's story is true, the geographic coordinate system was made in 1884, the first stone with the info was found in 1803.

Case closed.

On a side note, the main problem with these treasure hunts is the more important is the find, the less likely they are to profit from it. If worse come to worst, they'll be charged with artefact smuggling if they try to sell anything, even if they owned the land the artifact was found in. The only free for all treasures are the one in sunken ships in international waters (or Atlantis, if you happen to find it there).

In the case of Oak Island, if the wildest theories are right and it is indeed the Templars' treasure, no matter how much money they burn to dig it out, it will in all likelihood belong to all Canadians through Park Canada.

So how did Edward Leedskalnin build the Coral Palace or the Egyptians the pyramids? If you look at what I'm holding in my hands I would daresome say I'm not worried about selling artifacts that's what non-slaves do! How would anyone know how long the Greenwich meridian could have been around before its said invention, I do know however that we used what came to us and found gold with it, and we will find more and sell it outside of the crooked system we all live in.

Execept no one is allowed to dig there without permits and such, and probably a majority ownership of the land the Money Pit sits on. So, I think these people might just be collecting money...

I have dug without permits and will continue to do so,and I am collecting money you can see it in my profile pic, it comes from cashing in gold which I also dug up...without permits...Gov. doesn't rule all of us you know!