Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

I went looking for this geoglyph. Checked the islands 30 miles south of Oak Island, near Port Medway, and none of them seem to have anything unusual about them. Also they are all within easy reach by rowboat, so the assumption that no one has ever been there is idiotic. I went down to the scale of being able to identify individual trees.

Now I'll go do the same 30 miles north of Oak Island.

Surmised from what? The paper with the symbols on it?

None of the islands I've looked at so far would take 20 minutes to hike across. The largest one is maybe a mile across.

If they want financial backers... publish pics of the runestones they found. Since they already have cracked the code they have little to worry about. If they are worried about other treasure hunters figuring out the code and getting to the treasure first then publish the pics, but black out half of the block to make decyphering it impossible.

I'd also go get a Canadian treasure finding license. I know that the people who have dug on Oak Island had to go get licenses to dig there.

The runestones are the treasure map, why would I post them on the internet? So everyone can go and pillage all that's hidden and then I arrive later after doing all of the groundwork, to a big empty hole? I don't think so!

I went looking for this geoglyph. Checked the islands 30 miles south of Oak Island, near Port Medway, and none of them seem to have anything unusual about them. Also they are all within easy reach by rowboat, so the assumption that no one has ever been there is idiotic. I went down to the scale of being able to identify individual trees.

Now I'll go do the same 30 miles north of Oak Island.

Surmised from what? The paper with the symbols on it?

None of the islands I've looked at so far would take 20 minutes to hike across. The largest one is maybe a mile across.

If they want financial backers... publish pics of the runestones they found. Since they already have cracked the code they have little to worry about. If they are worried about other treasure hunters figuring out the code and getting to the treasure first then publish the pics, but black out half of the block to make decyphering it impossible.

I'd also go get a Canadian treasure finding license. I know that the people who have dug on Oak Island had to go get licenses to dig there.

It's non existant there is no such thing as a treasure trove license in Canada and in Nova Scotia it's protected under an act called the Oak Island Act which was amended from the original nova scotia treasure trove act. I do all of my homework before I speak, I don't just make stuff up to impress people. If you know of another way in which a government doesn't want to screw me out of what I find then feel free to let me in on it!

I have dug without permits and will continue to do so,and I am collecting money you can see it in my profile pic, it comes from cashing in gold which I also dug up...without permits...Gov. doesn't rule all of us you know!

Wait, wait, wait.... I thought....

Started january 17th, 2014.....Goal is $200,000....So far. ZERO / 0 / notta

Any and all contributors to our campaign will be solely given the right to 100% of whatever treasure we may find. This means if you even donate $1 and the treasure is worth 100 million you get back $100 and so forth...the more you donate, the more you get back. We ask nothing in return except to be the named people who discovered the greatest treasure of our time. We have done a lot of research on the historical time of this era that we believe all of these events took place, and we strongly believe these may be some of the most powerful religious items ever discovered by modern man. This is why we are doing this and we need your help! (Imagine if the Ark of The Covenant and The Holy Grail were finally found, what would this do for our world?)

I thought you all were Desperate for cash to fund your treasure dig? So, then where has your pile of money and dug up gold come from?

Please explain. Are you seeking funds or not?

The runestones are the treasure map, why would I post them on the internet? So everyone can go and pillage all that's hidden and then I arrive later after doing all of the groundwork, to a big empty hole? I don't think so!

I thought these stones were fairly small... Less then 100 pounds. If so, then just freaking move them, or drag them off. If you already have the data they contain, then publishing the first couple and removing the last ones from their original locations should prevent anyone from finding your JackPot. And... It might encourage people to donate.

But then maybe you don't need donations anymore if you have a giant pile of money?

It's non existant there is no such thing as a treasure trove license in Canada and in Nova Scotia it's protected under an act called the Oak Island Act which was amended from the original nova scotia treasure trove act. I do all of my homework before I speak, I don't just make stuff up to impress people. If you know of another way in which a government doesn't want to screw me out of what I find then feel free to let me in on it!

The Oak Island Treasure Act applies ONLY to Oak Island, and allows for one license at a time for that geographical location... See here.

© "Oak Island" means Oak Island in Mahone Bay near Western Shore, in the County of Lunenburg, above the ordinary high water mark but does not include the causeway leading to the island;

(d) "treasure" means precious stones or metals in a state other than their natural state.

4 (1) The Minister may, from time to time, issue a licence to any person granting to that person the right on all or any part of Oak Island, as specified in the licence, to search for treasure and to recover and retain the same upon the payment to the Minister of a royalty at such rate as the Minister may prescribe.

(2) The Minister may not grant a new licence for any part of Oak Island while a licence is in effect for that part, except to the current holder of a licence for that part.

Special Places Protection Act

12 Notwithstanding the issue of a licence pursuant to the Oak Island Treasure Act or the former Treasure Trove Act, no person shall

(a) excavate or otherwise alter a protected site or remove any objects from a protected site unless he is the holder of a permit;

(B) knowingly destroy, desecrate, deface or alter archaeological or historical remains or a palaeontological site whether designated or not unless he holds a heritage research permit to excavate the specific site. R.S., c. 438, s. 12; 1990, c. 45, s. 6; 2010, c. 39, s. 15.

I think your homework might only be half done.

The problem is that the Canadian government determines what is a Special Place as far as the Act goes, so anything you find (without a license) can immediately be deemed a historic artifact and reclaimed by the government and the site you found it at listed as Special and thus protected from any digging (without a license).

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/relic-hunting/78819-laws-pertaining-metal-detecting-use-criminal-code-canada.html

• Like 1

I think I read that someone, somewhere came up with the idea that the pit may have been dug by some government to safe keep its money, and that said money/treasure may have long since been removed by the original owners. I thought it was a plausible theory,

In the water?

Or the sky?

Its not like you too think so '2 dimensionally' ;)

I skipped the sky and went straight to LEO.

Nice, going round in circles just like the mystery itself...

Is it even possible to find anything at this point? I remember looking into Oak Island years ago with my son, he thought it was a cool story...the couple of episodes of the show that i have seen have brought up more information that I hadn't known about....anyone have any links to places to look into it? I tend to prefer reading but every time i look things up i lose patience with the bad sites

• Like 1

I've gotten to a point where I tend to agree with Brian Dunning's analysis (see my podcast link on the first page) that the OIMP never really existed and that it was simply a sinkhole (the island is riddled with them) that some logs and other debris blew/washed into over the years. Everything else was simply made up by treasure hunters and the legend just keep feeding off of itself for decades.

Exactly.

I also seen a doc with a folklorist saying that there is far more myth than actual verifiable fact about Oak Island.

• Like 1

The latest episode is out, and they find a Spanish 17th century coin. A copper coin, but a old coin none the less. Since this is pretty much reality TV, it would not surprise me if that coin turns out to be planted there.

I know that decades ago when I was a kid, there was entire books on the subject of Oak Island. I'm assuming that such books still exist.

• Like 2

You people are all lost on Oak Island...too funny!! Watch the coming season of the oak island curse, it's going to be really exciting for you!

I think that all of this is BS. the 5 shows were slow and boring and if there was treasure it is long gone. That will not stop future treasure hunters who think they know where the treasure is?? What a waste of money, but I hope I am wrong...

• Like 1

You people are all lost on Oak Island...too funny!! Watch the coming season of the oak island curse, it's going to be really exciting for you!

Well you have to tell us what we are wrong about.

• Like 1

I thought the show was pretty good. Showed a bunch of the people who the Oak Island story revolves around. And considering the investigations they did do, I thought they found some interesting stuff. I expect them to try to stretch this out over like 4 or 5 years. Where eventually they will get around to the actual Hole itself.

• Like 2

Love seeing people talk about Oak Island, I live really close to it and I've actually been on the island before, pretty interesting stuff! I personally believe there is a treasure though, or was, but it probably was found already but not claimed because who wants to give the treasure they found the the government?

• Like 3

I want to take a guess at this. I've actually read and watched a lot about it for several years now.

With all the information that I've been exposed to, my guess is, there was once something buried in the money pit, but it was long gone before the discovery led to the first shovel full of earth being dug out in search for the treasure. Probably removed by the very people who put it there in the first place. After all, if you take that much trouble to bury a treasure, I'm thinking that the desire to at sometime in your life, go back to get it and spend it, is going to be very strong.

• 4 weeks later...

As i said earlier, for me...I believe it is a man made thing...now why go to all that trouble?...pfft...can only guess.

if you look it up, coconut fiber is one of the few natural things resisistant to sea water...if that means anything...

As far as to why it has remained a mystery...

In the past, we didn't have the technology and equipment we have today...

No one has stepped up to the plate in years...

It can be dangerous...

I'm totally digging on the idea someone is seriously researching the site...but...I do wish they would have filmed a documentary as they went and released it when studies were finished...the reality tv angle of this is annoying.

well, the problem with that idea is, they may *never* finish with it.

when was the money pit section found, 1785 or something? and nobody has been able to figure out a way to get to the bottom of it.

some serious engineering went into that trap

The latest episode is out, and they find a Spanish 17th century coin. A copper coin, but a old coin none the less. Since this is pretty much reality TV, it would not surprise me if that coin turns out to be planted there.

I know that decades ago when I was a kid, there was entire books on the subject of Oak Island. I'm assuming that such books still exist.

Yup, it is what pirates called a "piece of eight", as you can see the symbol, "8" on the coin.

And you're not suggesting that reality TV shows would do something unscrupulous like planting that coin, would you? LOL

How about the 2nd to last show, they get a positive for gold or silver, a strong signal, indication something large.

Then in the last episode, the signal simply "disappears". Ohmygod, the drama.

Anyway it is a good seguay for season II

• Like 2

I want to take a guess at this. I've actually read and watched a lot about it for several years now.

With all the information that I've been exposed to, my guess is, there was once something buried in the money pit, but it was long gone before the discovery led to the first shovel full of earth being dug out in search for the treasure. Probably removed by the very people who put it there in the first place. After all, if you take that much trouble to bury a treasure, I'm thinking that the desire to at sometime in your life, go back to get it and spend it, is going to be very strong.

Very good point. One problem I see is this: They have the triangular shaped, man made swamp to be over 100 years older than the so-called money pit. The constructions took over a long period of time, and according to the oral tradition of the local Mi'kmaqs, salve labor was used to do the constructions, including a labyrinth of mines that apparently have yet to be discovered.

This sounds like an *organization* that buried whatever is there, not a loose band of pirates.

Also, if speculators are right about Henry Sinclair and his entourage of Templars/Masons are correct, it may not be gold that was buried there at all. It could be some treasured artifact looted by the Templars in Jerusalem (temple mount) and brought back to France. Speculations range from the Spear of Destiny, the Ark of the Covenant, Holy Grail etc.

and there is certainly evidence that the masons were on oak island.

• Like 1

As to the triangle swamp. It seemed to me that it is a result of creating the road along the beach, so that the swamp is cut off from the shoreline.

dsc0066zq1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tend to agree. They can dig until they are blue in the face and all they'll find is nothing.

How do you figure? Someone dug that hole, put in those plank landings, put a stone in there with some code carved into it, and even felt it was necessary to protect it with a flood trap...

As ludicrous as the idea that someone did all this to protect a treasure is, it's even more crazy to think someone would do this all for no reason at all..

I'm just saying: if I'm going to dig a giant ridiculous hole. I'm putting something of value in there... lol

Edited by Midyin
  • Like 1

Also, while we are on the topic. Have they ever reached the bottom yet? Why is this Excovating privately funded? If weird old stuff is coming out of there, then why hasn't a proper museum owned excavation team been put on the job?

If this would have been done right from the start instead of just being done by private citizens, this would be done by now..